South Beach and transportation questions

corley05

I am meeting a friend for a cruise out of Miami in October and I have some logistical questions. First of of all she is flying into MIA and I am flying into FLL. We were thinking that we would spend one night at a hotel near the beach, I believe my friend decided on the Catalina Hotel and Beach Club.

I have never been to Miami so I am now questioning if this a good choice for an overnight. We want to experience a little of south beach before we head out on the cruise. Is it going to cost me a fortune to get to south beach from FLL? (i have not my my flight reservation for flying in so i could still decide to fly into MIA if that is better)

Will it be a pain to get to the port from south beach?

I could really use some help with this.

Hmm, well first thing I did was to read some of the reviews on Trip Advisor about your chosen hotel - needless to say, they are mixed. :( I'm sure a few of the locals will be along to tell you yea or nay on that particular choice.

Having said that, with both of you flying into different cities one of you is going to have to travel, right? You are the obvious choice since the cruise leaves from Miami. A cab will be expensive; there are shuttle companies, many listed on this board in other threads.

On the morning of your cruise, a cab from your hotel in South Beach to the POM will probably run in excess of $25.00 - we paid $20.00 or so each way from a Port hotel to SOBE one afternoon.

Edited by Langley Cruisers

I'm not familiar with that hotel, so I will leave those comments for the locals.

From FLL to South Beach is about $75+ in a taxi, but closer to $40 in Uber. :cool:

Shared shuttles might save you a few $$, but the later in the day you arrive into FLL the fewer options you'll find, and the higher the price. :o Check with Go Airport Shuttle, QLS and a few of the others often suggested on this board.

You could rent a car one way FLL to Miami and drop it off near your hotel - most SB hotels charge $30+/day for parking. :eek:

From your hotel in SB to POM will be about $20+ in a taxi and of course cheaper in an Uber. Have a great cruise!

I have stayed at the Catalina twice and the last time I stayed there, I booked, paid for, and inspected ten rooms for my friends and family.

I LOVE this hotel and think it is one of the best deals in South Beach.

Very trendy, temperpedic beds, blackout curtains, free drinks at happy hour, rooftop pool, beach loungers on the beach, fantastic location.

That said, I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

Why don't you just fly in and out of Miami?

Unless you are saving over $250 flying into FLL, it would not be worth it to me to fly into FLL.

The cheapest way to get to Miami from FLL would probably be Uber if you don't want to waste your time with a shuttle.

I have stayed at the Catalina twice and the last time I stayed there, I booked, paid for, and inspected ten rooms for my friends and family.

I LOVE this hotel and think it is one of the best deals in South Beach.

Very trendy, temperpedic beds, blackout curtains, free drinks at happy hour, rooftop pool, beach loungers on the beach, fantastic location.

That said, I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

Why don't you just fly in and out of Miami?

Unless you are saving over $250 flying into FLL, it would not be worth it to me to fly into FLL.

The cheapest way to get to Miami from FLL would probably be Uber if you don't want to waste your time with a shuttle.

I am very pleased to here you like this hotel. I may fly into miami but flying out its much cheaper to go from fll and the flight times are better. I booked just the return flight because i suspected it might make more sense to fly into miami. Thank you for your help.