HELP planning with crazy crowds in mind (2 ships docked)

jojo412

Hi all,

Will be sailing in July on Celebrity Summit and saw that the NCL Breakaway is docked the same 3 days! Not looking forward to working our way through the masses but what can be done...

This is my second time in Bermuda, my husband's first. Trying to figure out the best schedule for each day we're there. We arent intersted in seeing the lighthouses or museums, etc...and will pretty much stick to the beaches. Originally I thought of something like this:

-Day 1: St George ferry at 9:30AM, explore the town a bit and walk to Tobacco Bay for snorkeling. After the beach head back to town to explore some more, have something to eat. From St George, take the bus or taxi to Hamilton around 7 to check out Harbour Nights and catch one of the late ferries home.

-Day 2: Spend the day at Horseshoe Bay Beach

-Day 3: Stay close to the ship, go to Snorkel Beach if we feel like another beach day, shop around the Dockyard,etc.

I'm sure the many thousands of people will have similar plans as ours, but I'm wondering if there's a way to avoid that massive rush when we arrive the first day with the other ship and the thousands of passengers are all clamoring to get in line for the ferry and busses.

Question 1: where would most people go on the first day... St George or Horshoe Beach ? I've read that many people would do the farthest from ship the first day(which would be St. george) and work their way closer to the ship as the days progress.

Question 2: if the answer to the question 1 is St George, would it be better to switch days 1 and 2? So, day 1 would be Horshoe Beach and Harbour Nights, and Day 2 would be St George/Tobacco Beach. Perhaps this might eliminate the worry of trying to make the 9:30 ferry with thousands of people...as I've read there are many shuttles available that go to horseshoe

Question 3: Harbour Nights, worth it? Sounds like it would be fun to look around but we are not big shoppers...is there much to see besides shopping and food? I've read mixed reports about the event, some say the performances only last a short time and there's not much else to do. Plus, I've seen pictures (Googled Harbour nights) and the crowds were so big made me cringe a bit. I know there's nothing that can be done about the crowds but just wondering if it's worth making our way over with so many people if there's not much to experience?

Question 3: Any other suggestions on something to do that's pretty close to the dockyard on the last day? I'm sure most people will stay at Dock yard the last day so anticipating that it will be more crowded and congested than usual. I'm thinking of snorkel park just as a backup if we really want to get more beach time in. It will probably be craZy crowded too right? Or does a ship sponsored excursion make sense so that we're back in time and not have to worry about our travel to the ship.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!

Hi all,

Will be sailing in July on Celebrity Summit and saw that the NCL Breakaway is docked the same 3 days! Not looking forward to working our way through the masses but what can be done...

This is my second time in Bermuda, my husband's first. Trying to figure out the best schedule for each day we're there. We arent intersted in seeing the lighthouses or museums, etc...and will pretty much stick to the beaches. Originally I thought of something like this:

-Day 1: St George ferry at 9:30AM, explore the town a bit and walk to Tobacco Bay for snorkeling. After the beach head back to town to explore some more, have something to eat. From St George, take the bus or taxi to Hamilton around 7 to check out Harbour Nights and catch one of the late ferries home.

-Day 2: Spend the day at Horseshoe Bay Beach

-Day 3: Stay close to the ship, go to Snorkel Beach if we feel like another beach day, shop around the Dockyard,etc.

I'm sure the many thousands of people will have similar plans as ours, but I'm wondering if there's a way to avoid that massive rush when we arrive the first day with the other ship and the thousands of passengers are all clamoring to get in line for the ferry and busses.

Question 1: where would most people go on the first day... St George or Horshoe Beach ? I've read that many people would do the farthest from ship the first day(which would be St. george) and work their way closer to the ship as the days progress.

Question 2: if the answer to the question 1 is St George, would it be better to switch days 1 and 2? So, day 1 would be Horshoe Beach and Harbour Nights, and Day 2 would be St George/Tobacco Beach. Perhaps this might eliminate the worry of trying to make the 9:30 ferry with thousands of people...as I've read there are many shuttles available that go to horseshoe

Question 3: Harbour Nights, worth it? Sounds like it would be fun to look around but we are not big shoppers...is there much to see besides shopping and food? I've read mixed reports about the event, some say the performances only last a short time and there's not much else to do. Plus, I've seen pictures (Googled Harbour nights) and the crowds were so big made me cringe a bit. I know there's nothing that can be done about the crowds but just wondering if it's worth making our way over with so many people if there's not much to experience?

Question 3: Any other suggestions on something to do that's pretty close to the dockyard on the last day? I'm sure most people will stay at Dock yard the last day so anticipating that it will be more crowded and congested than usual. I'm thinking of snorkel park just as a backup if we really want to get more beach time in. It will probably be craZy crowded too right? Or does a ship sponsored excursion make sense so that we're back in time and not have to worry about our travel to the ship.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!

I have been on Summit the last two years with Breakaway there and it is manageable. I would not say the crowds are crazy. As long as you get to the ferry 30 minutes before the scheduled time if you are taking a ferry.

Your initial set of plans for Day 1 and Day 2 sound good to me. That is because that is what I usually do those days. That plan has worked well for me and I will likely do that plan again next month. Day 3, don't be afraid to go to Horseshoe again. Summit does not leave until 4:00. Leave the beach at 1:00 and you will still have plenty of time to get back and time at the Dockyard. Snorkel Park, I loath it. Dockyard probably will be crowded because Breakaway now departs early. At 3:00. So their passengers are probably going to hang around. Last June they left later than Summit then they changed it. So wrong.

Harbour nights, if you have never been you should check it out. It is not very crowded unless there is a ship docked on Front Street. I like to check out the talk to the local artists.

2b1ddb2e7232a289cd02e0ed466c7e72.jpg

Edited by Charles4515

There are often two ships there at the same time. We've been there on Grandeur of the Seas with an NCL ship (Gem I think) a couple of times and crowds were never a problem. People spread out across the island and ships usually get there an hour or so apart if they arrive the same day so everyone isn't getting off at the same time. And, yes, I realize Breakaway is large but I haven't seen any reports of issues with Summit and BA and both have been there at least a couple of times this season.

Edited by BND

I have been on Summit the last two years with Breakaway there and it is manageable. I would not say the crowds are crazy. As long as you get to the ferry 30 minutes before the scheduled time if you are taking a ferry.

Your initial set of plans for Day 1 and Day 2 sound good to me. That is because that is what I usually do those days. That plan has worked well for me and I will likely do that plan again next month. Day 3, don't be afraid to go to Horseshoe again. Summit does not leave until 4:00. Leave the beach at 1:00 and you will still have plenty of time to get back and time at the Dockyard. Snorkel Park, I loath it. Dockyard probably will be crowded because Breakaway now departs early. At 3:00. So their passengers are probably going to hang around. Last June they left later than Summit then they changed it. So wrong.

Harbour nights, if you have never been you should check it out. It is not very crowded unless there is a ship docked on Front Street. I like to check out the talk to the local artists.

2b1ddb2e7232a289cd02e0ed466c7e72.jpg

Charles4515, you mentioned to not shy away from doing Horseshoe Beach on Day 3... I will be on the Breakaway and wondered if we left the beach around 1pm, would that give us plenty of time to get to our ship by 2:30 pm? We'll most likely shop the Dockyard another day, but was hoping for another day at the beach before we set sail back to the States.

Edited by OUgal

Your plan is similar to my plan. I am sailing on Sunday! I hope to hit Horseshoe Bay for a couple hours in the morning on the last day, we have to get back to the glass bottom boat ride at 1pm, then get back on board for our ride home.

We were on Breakaway last week and had a similar plan. For Day 1, we did the Caves/aquarium excursion, Day 2 we did Horseshoe Bay, and Day 3 we stayed in the Dockyard area.

The only day I felt the crowds of the two ships was on Day 3 because it seemed as if most passengers on both ships decided to do the same.

Other than that, there's so much to do that you don't realize how many people there are.

Horseshoe Bay was crowded on Thursday, but all you have to do is walk down the beach and the crowds lessen.

Have fun!

What week will you be sailing? The last week of July (when we are sailing), there are two holidays for the cricket match. From what I have read, there will be more traffic and the public transportation will be much more crowded and many stores/businesses will be closed. Also, the public transportation runs on reduced schedules. We are trying to work our plans around this.

Charles4515, you mentioned to not shy away from doing Horseshoe Beach on Day 3... I will be on the Breakaway and wondered if we left the beach around 1pm, would that give us plenty of time to get to our ship by 2:30 pm? We'll most likely shop the Dockyard another day, but was hoping for another day at the beach before we set sail back to the States.

That would be calling it WAY too close in my opinion.

You might be OK if you took a taxi but too close for me even then.

I personally think taking a van back to the ship at 1:00 is fine. There is no way I would want to fuss with the crowds at snorkel park on the last day. For our June cruise, we plan to grab a van at Dockyard around 9:00 am and hit Horseshoe Bay on the last day. Will probably catch a van back 75-90 minutes before boarding. (It's about a 25 minute drive).

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Edited by mpcaruth

We just got back from a great cruise on the Summit.

I was worried about crowds with both ships but it was not bad.

We were at the bus stop for the 8:50 am bus and beat the crowds. On our second day we took the ferry to St. Georges. It was insanely crowded--standing room only.

Tobacco Bay was very crowded on Thursday.

On Friday we went to the beach again taking an early bus and caught the bus back at about 12:30 to beat the rush.

I did not want to be at the Dockyard prior to this cruise having been docked in Hamilton/St. Georges on four previous cruises, but will sail there again.

If you've ever been to Disneyworld, it's just like that (Rope drop is your friend). Get there early and beat the crowds.:):):)

What week will you be sailing? The last week of July (when we are sailing), there are two holidays for the cricket match. From what I have read, there will be more traffic and the public transportation will be much more crowded and many stores/businesses will be closed. Also, the public transportation runs on reduced schedules. We are trying to work our plans around this.

Our last Bermuda cruise landed us there during these holidays - I think this year July 28 and 28?. While we still enjoyed or stay, I made sure to check the holiday schedule for our upcoming cruise to avoid these days. We went to Horseshoe Bay our first day (the day before the holiday) and even as we were leaving the beach the locals were moving onto the beach with their tents (google pics of this), where we were told they camp out for a couple of days. We heard the beach gets PACKED. The next day we took a ferry to Hamilton and that pretty much was a waste since nearly everything was closed. Our third day we stuck close to the ship and took a bus to Sea Glass Beach, which we enjoyed very much hunting for sea glass treasures (but I've read you can't remove it from the beach anymore).