Coolest Webcam ever---The Space Needle

DrKoob

For all headed to Seattle this summer or next, here is the best way ever to check out the glory that is our city and to see how the weather is today.

A little over a year ago the Space Needle put up what I think may be the best webcam ever. Check it out by clicking here. One of the best things about is that you can go back. They have marked some notable shots on the guide on the right side of the page. Check out some of the better ones. They are awesome.

Enjoy!

Jim

Very cool, thank you! Probably be impressive for July 4th fireworks!

That's true but I wonder if they turn it off as the fireworks go off underneath it and very close and might harm the camera. I will have to go back and look at New Year's Eve and see what they did.

Jim

Sad! I checked. None of the historical ones go after 10:00 pm so they may turn it off at night.

Edited by DrKoob

That's true but I wonder if they turn it off as the fireworks go off underneath it and very close and might harm the camera. I will have to go back and look at New Year's Eve and see what they did.

The New Years fireworks are set off from the Space Needle; the 4th of July show is from a barge on Lake Union near Gasworks Park.

The New Years fireworks are set off from the Space Needle; the 4th of July show is from a barge on Lake Union near Gasworks Park.

True. Either way the past views don't go after 10:00 pm so they must shut it down.

Seriously cool. I wonder how often it refreshes? I noticed the boats in Elliott Bay did not change position from revolution to revolution. Also wondered where the camera is that it can pan around (very top?) without scanning the tower. On other hand it may be several camera images stitched together. Still an awesome view.

Also wondered where the camera is that it can pan around (very top?) without scanning the tower. On other hand it may be several camera images stitched together. Still an awesome view.

Well, the restaurant does rotate, y'know.

Seriously cool. I wonder how often it refreshes? I noticed the boats in Elliott Bay did not change position from revolution to revolution. Also wondered where the camera is that it can pan around (very top?) without scanning the tower. On other hand it may be several camera images stitched together. Still an awesome view.

Garlydoo is right. The camera is on top and the needle rotates. Also, there are many ships out in Elliott Bay that are just moored. The key is to look for the Washington State Ferries. They are always on the move.

Jim

Spinning the timer wheel seems to show it is refreshed every 10 minutes. The time lapse feature is pretty cool for watching the marine layer dissipate over the course of the day. The restaurant dining area floor rotates but the exterior does not. I remember looking for that right after the Needle was built when I heard it rotated. As a 8 year old I thought the adults were all fibbing.

Thanks for posting. Will we be able to see the ships at Pier 91? I think I do, but I'm not certain.

Yes. Look for the grain terminal structures on the north (right) edge of the waterfront - towers onshore, five towers offshore. Pier 91 is right behind it; you can easily see ships when they're present.

Pier 66 is a little to the left of the big building with a blue roof on the central part of the waterfront. The building just to the left of the blue roof is the Edgewater Hotel, the cruise terminal is the next group of buildings to the left of the Edgewater. Again, no mistaking it when ships are present.

Other landmarks if interested:

1. The big squarish roof right below the Space Needle is Key Arena, former home of the NBA Sonics (now in OKC) which currently serves mainly as a concert venue.

2. Just this side of a group of three brown buildings in front of the grain terminal, an "L" shaped building with a tan roof (being rebuilt hence the color) is the headquarters of Holland America Cruise Lines.

3. Just past the grain terminal (facing Pier 91) is the site of new headquarters of Expedia, the online travel agency. Expedia is expanding and renovating a property formerly used by a big biotech firm, Amgen.

4. The pair of "V" shaped buildings close to the base of the Space Needle is the headquarters of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, biggest nonprofit in the world.

5. To the right of the Gates Foundation buildings you'll see a number of construction cranes and other signs of new construction. This is the "South Lake Union" district, and most of the new buildings are occupied by Amazon.com's headquarters.

Edited by Gardyloo

Thanks for posting. Will we be able to see the ships at Pier 91? I think I do, but I'm not certain.

Or you could CLICK HERE which is a different web cam that looks directly at Pier 91. If you look tomorrow you will see Celebrity Solstice.

This is truly an awesome webcam and I've had it bookmarked on my computer for quite some time along with several others showing off the beautiful Pacific Northwest. In particular I really enjoy the early morning views (especially on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays when there are usually 3 ships in port during the height of the Alaska cruise season) watching the ships come in. With glorious sunrises too on weather cooperative days it is fabulous viewing while drinking my morning coffee! And since it does "go back in time" even if you are not a morning person you can scroll back to early morning. The ships usually arrive between 5:00 am and 6:30 am. I especially love watching the NCL ships pull in right along the waterfront, the ferries going by, the views of the mountains, etc.

Enjoy the views everyone! :)