When will Carnival return to Galveston???

*Mach*

As there has been quite a bit of concern regarding Carnival's return to Galveston I sent an email to one of my contacts at Carnival Corporate in Miami. I just received this response:

Hi Mach:

Thanks for the e-mail. Regarding our Galveston operations, we have still not determined an exact date but are routinely in touch with the Port of Galveston on all the progress occurring and hope to have a definitive date for our return to Galveston in the near future. We're getting closer and will certainly keep you in the loop when we have any news to share.

Hope this is helpful. Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Vance

As I suspected there is no date that they can publish and the information on Carnival.com is as accurate as it gets. Everything else remains speculation.

As there has been quite a bit of concern regarding Carnival's return to Galveston I sent an email to one of my contacts at Carnival Corporate in Miami. I just received this response:

Hi Mach:

Thanks for the e-mail. Regarding our Galveston operations, we have still not determined an exact date but are routinely in touch with the Port of Galveston on all the progress occurring and hope to have a definitive date for our return to Galveston in the near future. We're getting closer and will certainly keep you in the loop when we have any news to share.

Hope this is helpful. Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Vance

As I suspected there is no date that they can publish and the information on Carnival.com is as accurate as it gets. Everything else remains speculation.

Yeah we leave on the 18th and looking at Carnival's website today their "Galveston Update" suggests they'll be back on Nov. 1. I guess we'll all just have to watch and wait.

I imagine they will return to Galveston when there is a Galveston there to return to. Took us a year to get back in our house after Jeanne. Some people in Biloxi are not back home yet after more than 2 years. And some in NO will never be back.

Dan

Galveston is coming back a lot quicker than people thought they would. Schools opened today. All of them except for 4. I understand a motorcycle rally is still planning on having their rally down there later this month. Bars and hotels are opening up very quickly. I received this in my email today about their progress, and there is a huge list of hotels, restaurants, and bars that are or will be up and running by the end of this month.

http://www.galveston.com/news185/

I haven't been down to Galveston yet to take a look for myself, but I did go down to Smith Point/High Island/Crystal Beach area on Sunday. Those poor people have years and years of work before they will have any semblance of normality. We drove down a section of beach where there used to be an entire neighborhood. Now there only stands about 5 beach houses. The sand was so high on the road it had to be plowed clear and it looks like snowdrifts. Cars and trucks dot a field as if they were cows grazing, but some are upside down, stacked on each other, or buried wheel-deep in the sand. All the debris from the Crystal Beach area got washed all the way to Smith Point.

I was in Galveston this past Sunday and a lot of stuff is open - hotels, restaurants, grocery stores, Home Depot, etc.

I would say that the hotels that are open are filled with people helping out on the recovery and not tourists.

Moody Gardens opened to tourists last Friday and there were several there on Sunday while I was volunteering.

Mark

I saw tons of pictures of the damage of homes.

Why in HEAVENS name do you build a house....on the Gulf....made out of WOOD?????????

The homes in Florida are all cement. None are made out of wood. I think Florida has the right idea.

Why in HEAVENS name do you build a house....on the Gulf....made out of WOOD?????????

The homes in Florida are all cement. None are made out of wood. I think Florida has the right idea.

Well, this in not entirely true. There are alot of stick built homes and many mobile homes as well. It really doesn't matter what you build it out of if you are flooded out. You still lose everything inside.

I moved a few years back from Boca Raton where I had a oceanfront condo and there were many beach homes .... Id say most were made of wood, 90%? A very high percentage. Not sure where you saw ALL of these cement homes, but sounds like a cheaper neighborhood.

I lived in S. Fl for more than 13 years and can say the above isnt true where I lived for sure.

Best I can give you is 50%. My first floor is block, the second floor is wood. Neighbor to the east is all wood, to the north 2 story, all wood. To the south and west, 1 story, cbs. The neighborhood for 10 blocks in any direction, 2/3's wood frame.

Dan

Galveston is coming back a lot quicker than people thought they would. Schools opened today. All of them except for 4. I understand a motorcycle rally is still planning on having their rally down there later this month. Bars and hotels are opening up very quickly. I received this in my email today about their progress, and there is a huge list of hotels, restaurants, and bars that are or will be up and running by the end of this month.

Of course the bars, hotels and restaurants are the first to open. Don't forget the strip clubs too.

Can you say CONSTRUCTION WORKERS?:D

The bars and strip joints were the absolute first things to open after Andrew hit Miami.:eek:

The construction guys are mostly young, they work hard and they play hard too.

Dan

Magic 8 ball says:

Ecstasy from Galveston on November 6th or 10th

Conquest from Galveston on November 9th

Talked to my PVP yesterday snooz (we sail together on the 9th) She said we would be sailing out of Houston. She said it was definate even though it was not yet posted. She said they hadnt been told a set date yet, but its looking more like the end of the year. But, as I have stated, this is what "she said". lol I am booking my hotel in Houston. I am going to miss sailing from Galveston, I used to stay at a good friends house on the island, not this time, or probably ever again. completely flooded. Going to have to be bulldozed as it was an old family home turned vacation home.

Got a message this weekend from my PVP saying the Conquest will definately be leaving from Houston for our Nov. 3rd cruise. Was also alerted we will be arriving back in Houston at 9:00 am instead of 8:00.

I am a little confused here...

We embark on the Conquest on 11/2/08. Carnival notified me on 9/26/08, that we were departing from the Bayport terminal.

How can you be leaving on 11/3/08? Could you be referring to the 2009 schedule?

Nanuak -

Yes - you are right! Don't know what I was thinking! The thought of losing a day... or missing the ship gives me the full body shivers. WE LEAVE THE 2nd!!!

GOOD, I'm happy to meet you! Come over and join our Roll Call :D

We're leaving on the Ecstasy on Nov 1st. I have been told by Carnival we will return to Houston.

Mach, do you have an opinion that on that last cruise out of Houston, do you think they will dock back at Houston to debark, then sail down to Galveston to pick up supplies and pax? Or do you think they will start in Houston, sail into Galveston and bus everyone back up to Houston to pick up their cars?

Any thoughts, anyone?

Archived