Can I risk Adonia ?

David Owl

When I started cruising I used to feel a bit rough on occasions, but in recent years I seem to have "stabilised". However all of my experience has been on mid/large ships.

I am now fancying Going back to Norway and Spitsbergen on Adonia in 2018.

I appreciate the the ride can vary according to location and season, but I wonder how much impact the size of the ship would have.

I love Adonia but must say of the two occasions I have been physically seasick, once was on Adonia - but it was very rough indeed! And that itinerary could produce some rough seas - but then again it might not. Yes you will feel the movement more on a small ship, but take the pills and you should be fine. I love the ambience and friendliness of smaller ships.

Yes, if the crossing is a bit rough, you are going to feel it more on a smaller ship. However it would only be the journey there and back and the benefits a smaller ship has being able to dock at all the ports which the larger ships cannot, in my opinion is far better.

I have a feeling that Adonia on her return to P&O and the UK is going to be extremely popular with cruisers that prefer a smaller and more intimate ship, so you may have to book early.

When I started cruising I used to feel a bit rough on occasions, but in recent years I seem to have "stabilised". However all of my experience has been on mid/large ships.

I am now fancying Going back to Norway and Spitsbergen on Adonia in 2018.

I appreciate the the ride can vary according to location and season, but I wonder how much impact the size of the ship would have.

I think that's the cruise I'm going on. If so, then it's in June/July, which means that the chances of it being seriously rough, even in that part of the world, aren't that great. Of course, we could always be unlucky. A couple of years ago I went to Iceland on Adonia at about that time of year, and the sea was pretty calm throughout, but of course that doesn't prove anything.

Although a lot smaller than the other ships in P&O's fleet, Adonia is still a pretty substantial vessel.

We have only been on Adonia once but we loved it! We did have a bit of a rough crossing of the Bay of Biscay but were surprised at how smooth the ride was....our cabin was just around the corner from reception and was superbly comfortable for the whole 30 nights.......I usually find stugeron is a good preventative travel sickness medication....over the counter in Boots or Superdrug ....

We have been on Adonia twice and it is my favourite ship in the fleet.

My wife however has been sick on both occasions, each time at dinner.

She seems to find the movement in the restaurant to be a problem this was despite the fact that we had good weather throughout both cruises.

Having said this we fully intend to book Adonia again if their is a cruise we fancy.

We have been on Adonia twice, once down to Seville etc late August/early September, and once up to Norway, which included Tromso and the Lofoton Islands, again late August/early September. Both times were calm throughout.

She is a very stable ship for her size, BUT it goes without saying she will feel the movement more than larger ships.

The only way you'll know is to try it - get a cabin centrally, take whatever helps you, and pray for good weather! :)

Edited by Cruise Puss

Yes, if the crossing is a bit rough, you are going to feel it more on a smaller ship. However it would only be the journey there and back and the benefits a smaller ship has being able to dock at all the ports which the larger ships cannot, in my opinion is far better.

I have a feeling that Adonia on her return to P&O and the UK is going to be extremely popular with cruisers that prefer a smaller and more intimate ship, so you may have to book early.

You are correct. She has proved to be extremely popular with some cruises next year already selling out in a number of categories.

We managed to book the trip which includes Seville and Bordeaux in August, but I know it is sold out in a few categories already.

She's a wonderful ship and we're really excited to be going back on her. :)

Edited by Cruise Puss