Internet question

CruisinNewb

We have unlimited internet while we are on the Reflection. Is it possible to have two devices (my laptop and iPhone) connected at the same time or can you only connect with one device at a time?

One device at a time. I had to log my phone out to sign on with my iPad.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We have unlimited internet while we are on the Reflection. Is it possible to have two devices (my laptop and iPhone) connected at the same time or can you only connect with one device at a time?

If you buy one Unlimited plan, you can use it with one device at a time. If your traveling companion (or you yourself on another device) has forgotten to properly log off, when you go to log on you can choose to bump the other device off the net so that you can use it.

Stan

At the risk of getting skewered. I was thinking about buying an unlimited wifi package, but my wife and I would both want to use our iPads. We won't be on that much, but likely at the same time (first thing in the morning and just before bed.) Can I use an apple airport express and repeat the signal?

We have open internet access as a perk on our next cruise. In this situation can both cabin mates access the internet at the same time on different devices?

Yes if BOTH of you have the unlimited internet perk. If only one person in the cabin has the package, then only one device can be logged in at a time.

At the risk of getting skewered. I was thinking about buying an unlimited wifi package, but my wife and I would both want to use our iPads. We won't be on that much, but likely at the same time (first thing in the morning and just before bed.) Can I use an apple airport express and repeat the signal?

Consider yourself skewered.

Short answer: it won't work. You will not be buying an unlimited wifi package, but rather an unlimited internet access package.

The issue is not wifi; the issue is getting through the ship's server to the outside world. You can have multiple devices logged onto the ship's wifi net at the same time with no problem (been there, done that in order to move files from one device to another via a synch app that uses wifi). But when you point your browser at 172.xx.xx.xxx, the ship's gateway, it will ask you for name/password. And you only get one name/password per internet access package. I do not believe that Express or any other wifi hotspot or repeater is going to change the fact that you need to use name/password to go through the ship's gateway to the outside. And the ship's server is very sensitive to attempted use of a given name/password which is already in use.

From personal experience, it is not all that difficult to share one connection between two adults. One is dressing while the other is on line. One is holding a table in the Oceanview and online while the other gets their breakfast. Etc.

Consider yourself skewered.

Short answer: it won't work. I do not believe that Express or any other wifi hotspot or repeater is going to change the fact that you need to use name/password to go through the ship's gateway to the outside.

We have had several reports from RCI ships that some (not all) brands of repeaters do in fact work. You are correct that the device needs to have a login feature. Of course one has to realize that you are splitting an already poor (relative land based WiFi) connection, so while it might work, the performance while sharing might suffer.

No need to skewer anyone over WiFi sharing - you are buying a bucket of data, how you dole it out does not matter and Celebrity does not care.

You need this: TP-Link N300

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TQEX8BO

I used it recently on my RCI Harmony cruise in my cabin to connect my tablet, wife's tablet, 2 phones and a Roku streaming stick (allowing me to watch Netflix in HD). You run it in WiFi Hotspot Mode and connect the TP-Link to the ship's WiFi network where it looks a single connected device.

Note: When I was in my cabin I would sign out of my phone and connect the TP-Link. When I left my cabin and roamed te ship I would disconnect the TP-Link and connect my phone.