2 nights pre-cruise - Tahiti or Moorea?

jayhawk2000

This is our first trip to FP. We're doing the cook and society islands 11 night cruise Aug. 26, 2017. We arrive in PPT on Wed night and embark on Sat. Is it worth it to spend Thur and Fri nights on Moorea? Or is the IC Tahiti a better choice? The PG cruise spends two days in Moorea and I'm not sure if we need more. And any issues taking the ferry back to Tahiti the day of embarkation? Finally, if Moorea is better, suggestions on Sofitel, Hilton or IC? Cheers!!

It really depends on you.

Moorea is a lovely way to destress after the flight but it will mean that you will need to stay a night in Tahiti and take the morning ferry over. It's also a way to enjoy the OWB experience. I love the Sofitel with its long beach. if you return on the ferry that gets in at about 2.30 or so it will mean just walking over To the ship and checking in at 3.

If you decide it's not worth the effort to go to Moorea a couple of days relaxing at the lovely IC in Tahiti are great. I would take the all day 4x4 tour to the inside of the island, a wild unspoilt, unpeopled area. Patrick Aventure is recommended.

I concur with Emdee ....

As you will have two days a Maria on your cruise you'll have apple time to get a feeling for what a great island Moorea is. So many people discount the inner part of Tahiti which is absolutely beautiful. Some of the best waterfalls and all the French Polynesia are on the inner part of Tahiti.

If you didn't have two days on the cruise on Moorea I would tell you to go to Maria for the two days prior to the cruise. But in your case I would stay at the Intercontinental Hotel on Tahiti and make sure you take advantage of seeing the sights most people do not get to see in particular the inner Island.

If you decide to go to Moorea don't be concerned about the ferry it always runs on time with rare exception may be only in bad weather will be canceled or late in 20 years I've never had it happen. As mentioned it's easy to get off the ferry and casually walk over to the Paul Gauguin.

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

I think I agree that perhaps it's not worth it for two nights--3 nights, definitely. The ferry is a breeze, quite pleasant, and you walk right over to the Paul Gauguin in Papeete.

Kahuna, can you enumerate some of the sights you'd see around the island of Tahiti? We've only just taken the usual bus tours, see then marae, the waterfall, the museum, etc., and spent time on the east side of the island like Arue and Pirae, as well as the usual hotels to the west.

If you had a couple of days with a car, what would you suggest doing?

I think I agree that perhaps it's not worth it for two nights--3 nights, definitely. The ferry is a breeze, quite pleasant, and you walk right over to the Paul Gauguin in Papeete.

Kahuna, can you enumerate some of the sights you'd see around the island of Tahiti? We've only just taken the usual bus tours, see then marae, the waterfall, the museum, etc., and spent time on the east side of the island like Arue and Pirae, as well as the usual hotels to the west.

If you had a couple of days with a car, what would you suggest doing?

We've been over to Tahiti iti, loved it, very remote compared to so much of Tahiti Nui.

Driving to the Plateau on its is beautiful, way off the beaten trek. Best water falls are in the interior and you don't want to take a rental car up there though I've gone up about 3 miles and there were a few nice falls, very bumpy.

The east side of the island has tall falls but you must take the time to drive off the main road to get closer.

Venus point is fun for pictures, of course the museum is nice and and as you mentioned the cultural Maraes.

Going up to the Le Belvedre restaurant and lookout area is a nice evening, you can do an internet search to look at their website and facebook page.

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

Is it possible to book Patrick Adventure without booking anything else with the company that he is associated with. It appeared that you had to book a room with them as well.

He can be booked on his own. I did and so did Emdee.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums