Where to Stay in Metarie?

Singer4Him

• 2 weeks later...
Read the thread titled "areas to avoid in New Orleans" ...Metairie is one they said to avoid...not my personal knowledge, just read it a few minutes ago....

I looked at that thread and would disagree.

Metairie is the suburbs with lots of sprawl, big box stores, strip malls, etc. Anytime you have that you will have property crime but the area is just fine. The other thread mentioned the airport and that is in Kenner which is fine too.

As a local, I'd pick a park & cruise package in Metairie over Kenner or Downtown New Orleans.

Personally, anywhere in Metairie would be fine for a one night pre- or post-cruise stay. If you're looking to spend more time in the city, it's probably much of a muchness based on parking rates and driving times to/from the touristy areas of the city.

Ellieann

What about the west bank area? Is this a safe area? That is where the Best Western with parking and shuttle is located.

Thanks

Molme

If it's the one at 1700 Lapalco Boulevard, Harvey, I'd have no problem with it for a park & cruise package. But like staying in Metairie, if you want to send a lot of time in the touristy areas of New Orleans, the time and costs of parking will balance it out price wise with downtown hotels.

Caveat: I have never stayed at the hotel, I just know the area.

Edited by ellieanne

If I stay in Metairie, I like to be near Veteran's Memorial Blvd. There are a couple malls there, Buffalo Wild Wings, Hooters, Acme oyster house, Bobby Hebert's restaurant, Café Du Monde, Gambino's bakery. I'm not sure if any have park and sail. There's a Sleep Inn behind clearview mall that looks decent. Then down by the other mall there's a Hampton Inn and a nice little Country Inn and Suites. I stayed at the Country Inn and Suites about a year ago. They had just bought it from Ramada and were remodeling it. Those two are really close to the Acme Oyster house which would be a good place to eat in that area. I've never felt unsafe in that part of Metairie.

Edited by Saint Greg