Orient Beach and shopping - best plan to do both?

tbmrt

We have taken some great tours in St. Maarten, but this time plan to spend more time at Orient Beach and shop.

Would appreciate your recommendations on best way to do both based on the shopping locales/beach location/travel time.

Should we grab a taxi to the beach and then back to ship and venture out again to shop?

Or should we take a taxi from Orient Beach to shopping area and then back to ship? Prefer visiting the Beach earlier in the day.

Is shopping area in close proximity to ship? We are interested in visiting some local vendors as well as other stores.

Thanks.

Consider a cab to Orient in the morning, then a cab to Marigot to walk around the market, then cab back to Philipsburg to shop. We've done that several times, but i don't remember if the ship was easy to walk to after shopping or if we took another cab. That's our plan for December on Princess Regal.

We have taken some great tours in St. Maarten, but this time plan to spend more time at Orient Beach and shop.

Would appreciate your recommendations on best way to do both based on the shopping locales/beach location/travel time.

Should we grab a taxi to the beach and then back to ship and venture out again to shop?

Or should we take a taxi from Orient Beach to shopping area and then back to ship? Prefer visiting the Beach earlier in the day.

Is shopping area in close proximity to ship? We are interested in visiting some local vendors as well as other stores.

Thanks.

Last time we went to the beach first, then took the taxi back to the ship, dropped off our stuff, quickly changed and walked to the shopping area.

It was a solid walk from the dock, maybe 15 minutes (?) there's a sidewalk. There is a water taxi that will take you to the shopping area for $5 (I think).

Last time we went to the beach first, then took the taxi back to the ship, dropped off our stuff, quickly changed and walked to the shopping area.

It was a solid walk from the dock, maybe 15 minutes (?) there's a sidewalk. There is a water taxi that will take you to the shopping area for $5 (I think).

I believe the water taxi is $6.00pp for a round trip..and a very popular option to Philipsburg and back to the ship.

I had noticed that you mentioned stopping at "Marigot to walk around the market" - are there different shops there then back in Philipsburg? Any additional info would be great!

I much prefer Philipsburg for shopping....Marigot while very nice and some tasty treats at Serafina's Bakery the market area was pretty much closed up already... I personally wouldn't make a trip to just there unless I was on my way back from Orient Beach..JMHO as always.

I had noticed that you mentioned stopping at "Marigot to walk around the market" - are there different shops there then back in Philipsburg? Any additional info would be great!

Many shops close in Marigot for a few hours in the afternoon.

I have made the trip several times, take a taxi to orient beach, the driver will usually return if you ask say at 2:00pm if you went to the beach first thing, the taxi will then drop you a block from Philipsburg on the return trip. Then take the water taxi back to the ship.