Looking for packing advice, late May, Lucerne to Amsterdam

SurfSkiPaddler

Last time we spent two weeks in the UK (with a car) we brought a lot of Tilley clothing and washed it out in our hotel rooms because it was all designed to dry quickly. I don't think my wife is entirely happy with doing it that way again, so I guess we're going to use the ship's laundry a bit. But it's an 8 day cruise with 2 days pre and 2 days post, and it looks like the ship's laundry is expensive, so I'd rather not have to do that entirely. Also it looks like we're going to have to deal with a variety of weather. Any suggestions on what to pack clothing wise?

Yep -a capsule wardrobe in coordinating (and minimal) colors with layers is the best way to pack lightly for a trip, assuming you don't want to pack many suitcases? I like the 4X4 wardrobes that Janice has on her site (viviennefiles)

If you use base layers (tees) that you can launder a couple times, you might be able to get away without doing too much laundry (I pack light and will do a base layer or two in my hotel overnight and maybe pants or a dress once during a trip, depending on length of trip) You don't have to wash everything every day, and you don't have to bring a completely new outfit for every day either. Hopefully somewhere in the middle you'll find a happy balance for YOU for packing vs laundry.....

(we all have different thresholds for what we will and will not do during travel - neither right nor wrong, just different:p)

• 1 month later...

My plan for that same period is to take mostly solid or print black "bottoms" (skirts, pants) and tops that can be worn with any bottom. Since it will likely be rainy and/or cool at least part of the trip, I will likely take something warm-ish (fleece?) and water resistant. I thought I would toss in a few lightweight scarves (no one will notice that dribble of coffee if it is under a scarf!). A pair of jeans. A dress.

I figure no one will notice or care if I haul out the same black skirt for several dinners.

And shoes. Oh my, what shoes??!

Last time we spent two weeks in the UK (with a car) we brought a lot of Tilley clothing and washed it out in our hotel rooms because it was all designed to dry quickly. I don't think my wife is entirely happy with doing it that way again, so I guess we're going to use the ship's laundry a bit. But it's an 8 day cruise with 2 days pre and 2 days post, and it looks like the ship's laundry is expensive, so I'd rather not have to do that entirely. Also it looks like we're going to have to deal with a variety of weather. Any suggestions on what to pack clothing wise?

I had to use the laundry service on the Ama Prima in 2015 due to some unseasonably warm weather we encountered.

It was a little more expensive than at home but not exorbitant. They offer same day service also. Items were returned in the late afternoon, pressed and on hangers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I do just what some of the other posters do...bring black pants that go with a variety of tops, rain gear, and a fleece or two. Am going to Norway/Scotland/Faroes in May and dealing with the same issues. I too used to try to avoid paying for laundry on a river cruise, but in the grand scheme of things, and considering the price of a river cruise, spending a little on laundry is worth it.