What is there to do in Cannes?

tampafish

Just starting my research, so please bare with me! I'm just curious what most people do when they off in Cannes? Is this a jumping off point to go somewhere fabulous or is there something special to do in Cannes? I don't see too much info on this port when I look through the forum.

We were so exhausted from the first 3 days in Italy that we decided to just walk around and check out the sights so we tendered over and had our walking map from Rick Steve's tour book and really enjoyed ourselves.

We walked the main avenue along the beach where all the Rich and Famous stay during the movie festival, checked our the "Pay" beaches and sat at an outdoor café on the beach for café and pastries and watched the Beautiful people walk by!

Our walking map was helpful and we shopped a little and then ended up at the public beach to play in the water.

Very relaxing and we really had a nice time

Just starting my research, so please bare with me! I'm just curious what most people do when they off in Cannes? Is this a jumping off point to go somewhere fabulous or is there something special to do in Cannes? I don't see too much info on this port when I look through the forum.

If you do a search on this board re Cannes you will find a wealth of info here as to what you can do in Cannes,where else you can go from Cannes and how to get to other places.Just type in Cannes in the search area.

We have spent a few nights (on 3 occasions) in Cannes and dohave our favorite place for dinner. But as a cruise port, we think it is more of a jumping-off point for other places in the region. Cannes does have its share of high-end shops and some good restaurants, but other then a nice place to take a stroll along the water front (La Croisette) we do not think it has a lot to offer for a cruise day. For those wanting to take an excursion or get a rental car we do recommend going to St Paul de Vence for at least part of the day. This can be coupled with a short visit to Antibes before heading back along the coast to Cannes. If you want to use the train it is possible to get to Nice, or even Monte Carlo during a long port day.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

We went to a fort, museum, strolled along the main drag and than caught the ferry to the island where the man with the iron mask was held. It was just a relaxing day for us. I would not go back to the island as there is not much to do there.

• 1 month later...

We are planning to visit Cannes this July and will DIY. In addition to advice on cruise critic, I looked at tripadvisor dot com. Type in the city and it will list top restaurants, attractions, etc. After doing my research, this is our plan:

1.) Go to the market (Marche Forville)

2.) Mosey along Rue du Suquet, walk into shops, eat lunch

3.) Walk along the waterfront and look at the yahts, walk along the beach, and/or sit outside of a cafe and watch the world go by.

Cannes is our first port prior to a few intense days in Italy, so this will be one of our more laid-back days.

We are planning to visit Cannes this July and will DIY. In addition to advice on cruise critic, I looked at tripadvisor dot com. Type in the city and it will list top restaurants, attractions, etc. After doing my research, this is our plan:

1.) Go to the market (Marche Forville)

2.) Mosey along Rue du Suquet, walk into shops, eat lunch

3.) Walk along the waterfront and look at the yahts, walk along the beach, and/or sit outside of a cafe and watch the world go by.

Cannes is our first port prior to a few intense days in Italy, so this will be one of our more laid-back days.

Interesting post. We do not usually see anyone mentioning the Rue de Suquet and doubt if many cruisers walk up the hill to that street. There are a few cute shops/boutiques up there (we often like to stroll up the Rue St Antoine to get to that area) but we especially love this area in the late afternoon and evening (where we often dine on the Rue St Antoine). Unfortunately this does not fit a port day. You might want to also look into the Petit Train and certainly do not miss strolling along the Promanade.

But what do we do when in Cannes? Get ourselves, as quickly as possible, to St Paul de Vence...which is our favorite day destination in the region.

Hank

we will be there overnight during the film festival and are wondering what there will be to do....

When we stay in Cannes (at various hotels) our evening activity normally consists of having a wonderful dinner. Since the normal dining time is after 8, this takes up our evening. The film festival means that there will be more folks in town which would certainly make it more difficult to get a dinner reservation at one of the top restaurants. When the weather is good we like to stroll up the Rue Saint Antoine (after 8) and look at the various menus posted by the cute little restaurants in that street. In warm weather these restaurants set-up tables outside in the narrow street (dining with clothes on clotheslines flapping over your head is romantic) and we have had some great dinners in this little street. There is often some strolling musicians to add to the atmosphere. If you sit down to eat at 9pm you will still be among the early dinners.

Hank

well other than eating and strolling....and how about all day....there will probably be activities for the film festival....

could sit all day and hope to see the stars.....nah, I dont think so...

You think? Ok, so you can tell us about all the "activities" when you return. If we were in Cannes in late May we would be running out of town, during the day, to St Paul de Vence, Antibes or perhaps Nice.

Hank

well maybe during the film festival things will just be as usual..not sure what I expect....certainly in that case we will go to nice...the first day...second day walk around cannes....

Two day's - that changes things. As much as I think there are better places to go in the area, we love to happen on "happenings" when we travel so we'd probably add more focus to Cannes then we normally would. After Nice, I'd add Antibes at minimum for the first day. Perhaps have dinner in one or the other (you're ship won't leave!). Perhaps a drink in one of the nicer Cannes hotels when you come back - to people watch. Then enjoy Cannes on your second day when it's putting on it's "show". Lucky you.

With two days - you can easily fit St. Paul de Vence in the itinerary. With an overnight in Cannes just about anything is possible.

yes a day and a half....during the film festival...

maybe the way to go is to take a local bus or train to nice for the morning..we have been to st paul de vence..have been to nice as well....

somewhere else for the afternoon...not sure where....

then sit in a hotel with a drink hoping to spy a movie star...which hotel...need to research.....

then the next day stay in cannes and walk about.....

yes a day and a half....during the film festival...

maybe the way to go is to take a local bus or train to nice for the morning..we have been to st paul de vence..have been to nice as well....

somewhere else for the afternoon...not sure where....

then sit in a hotel with a drink hoping to spy a movie star...which hotel...need to research.....

then the next day stay in cannes and walk about.....

Antibes .... would be perfect to add to a revisit of Nice or St. Paul de Vence. It's a short jaunt by train or bus from Cannes (on the same line going to Nice). TripAdvisor will probably give you a lead on the hotels in Cannes that might be interesting to have a drink while people watching.

Edited by buggins0402

I appreciate the info everyone! I'm thinking Antibes or Nice would make a great day. We're going to have our relaxing day in Palma (maybe - it's so hard to not want to do it all!).

Nice is not that different from Cannes. You might as well stay put. And for the most part in Cannes I walk along the beach and look at people and stop at cafés. It's not a happenin' place other than when the Festival is on.

Nice is not that different from Cannes. You might as well stay put. And for the most part in Cannes I walk along the beach and look at people and stop at cafés. It's not a happenin' place other than when the Festival is on.

Interesting point of view, especially from somebody with a French address. We are mere Americans who have spent some significant time in France, and we really do love the south. We do not think that Cannes and Nice are at all alike! For one thing, Nice is about 4 times the size of Cannes! Nice happens to have several excellent museums including the Chagall and a art history museum. Nice also has its charming old town area with its amazing morning Flower Market. On the other hand, where Nice has a rocky beach...Cannes has real sand. I am thinking that to say that Nice and Cannes are alike is to say that Paris and Lyon are alike.

I think about the only thing these two cities have in common are they are both on the same sea, both have walkways along the sea, and both have cafes (as does every other city in France.

So where I am wrong?

Hank

so here is the plan...we are in cannes on a cruise overnight....during film festival....

day 1...we take train/bus to antebes for the a.m. take train or bus to nice for p.m....take train /bus back to cannes, have dinner on ship...then go to beach to see film and a drink at some fancy hotel to star gaze

day 2 walkabout in cannes...we leave at 4....

any comments, suggestions, ideas?

so here is the plan...we are in cannes on a cruise overnight....during film festival....

day 1...we take train/bus to antebes for the a.m. take train or bus to nice for p.m....take train /bus back to cannes, have dinner on ship...then go to beach to see film and a drink at some fancy hotel to star gaze

day 2 walkabout in cannes...we leave at 4....

any comments, suggestions, ideas?

Well, I do not like your plan :). And there is a reason. Many folks who are visiting Nice want to see their Flower Market and this is best done before 1pm (when some vendors start to close). They do not have the Flower Market on Monday, but do have an antique market on that day. These markets are located on the Cours Selaya which is within Nice's Old Town (close to the sea).

So we would recommend heading directly to Nice in the morning and then you can take either a bus or the train back to Antibes before returning to Cannes on the bus or train. One minor problem is that the Nice Train Station is some distance from the Flower Market (a good mile hike) so one might want to use a taxi or a local bus to get over to the Flower Market.

And then DW and I cannot imagine doing an overnight in Cannes and having dinner on the ship. Yes, we know you have already paid for dinner...but you are in France! But DW and I live to eat and not everyone agrees with this philosophy.

Hank

plan is being ammended....it is only that way because I have no idea...

so nice first A.M. antebes P.M.

as for dinner that night, well I know how expensive it is in cannes so we will get a drink or dessert in some fancy hotel while we star watch....

also I have found out that during film festival there are films shown on the beach in late evening.....so I will research that as well for May 15...