Foreign documents should be translated?

fayt

Our large group of families will be travelling together on cruise next month. Some of the children have different last names from their parent. We have their original birth certificate, however it is not in English.

Do we need to translate the birth certificate?

Thanks

you didn't say where you are cruising. what port are you leaving from and where are you ending?

call celebrity and ask them. How old are the children ? - I would get passports for all of them.

I'm not aware of any country that requires travel documents be translated, but your post raises a number of questions beyond translating birth certificates. For example, are the children travelling with one or both parents? What citizenship(s) are involved if you think that the birth certificates might need translation? Without greater detail, your question is rather difficult to answer.

We are going to Alaska from Vancouver and end in Vancouver. The children range from 3 - 16 years. All of them have passports.

The children are travelling with both parents. Their citizenship are Indonesia.

As they are all travelling with passports, to enter Canada they would require a visa but AFAIK there would be no requirement for birth certificates, translated or otherwise. I imagine that US entry requirements would be similar.

As some of the children have different last names from their parents, the parents should have documentation (adoption papers, for example) that would explain to authorities the reason for the difference.

I agree with others that advise you to call Celebrity. I would suggest that you ask them where you might find the policy, or ask them if they can send you an email with the policy. Follow what they tell you to the letter and bring any email from them with you to show at the pier if necessary.