Domestic first class: Hawaiian Airlines 767-300ER vs. Alaska 737-800

Fattony

Any firsthand experiences with either or, ideally, both? Wondering about comfort, as well as service. It seems the AS seats are a bit wider (21 vs. 18 inches), but with less pitch (36-38 vs. 42 inches). We've not flown FC with either. Have flown domestic FC on UA, AA, US and DL.

I would tell you to go over to tripadvisor in the air travel forum and ask, but appears you have already done so. Seems as if there have been several threads fairly recently with people complaining about AS in F to Hawaii. I know one of them at least was about the fact there are no special meals. I have no experience in F to Hawaii with either airline.

Miles not a factor. I think we could earn AA miles on either, and UA miles on one of them. Advantages of AS would be an extra day in Hawaii (the way pricing works out), and non-stop KOA to PDX. And fare is refundable. Advantages of HA appeaar to be better ambiance and food, and the possibility of seeing Diamondhead, etc. as we connect in HNL. Special meals not a biggie as long as food is decent and, ideally, at least one dish without pork (wife just prefers not to eat pork).

Not that we'd cut short our trip by a day. Will determine whetehr we spend an extra day in Oregon, our next stop. Thinking of retiring there, and best to see it at its coldest/wettest (we've been in summer and autumn).

Not that we'd cut short our trip by a day. Will determine whetehr we spend an extra day in Oregon, our next stop. Thinking of retiring there, and best to see it at its coldest/wettest (we've been in summer and autumn).

Or snowiest!

Or snowiest!

The Big Island also gets snow (okay, just on top of Mauna Kea and maybe Mauna Loa). We used to live in Maryland so know snow. With our luck, we'll have great weather in Portland and not get a feel of a typical winter there.

Miles not a factor. I think we could earn AA miles on either, and UA miles on one of them. Advantages of AS would be an extra day in Hawaii (the way pricing works out), and non-stop KOA to PDX. And fare is refundable. Advantages of HA appeaar to be better ambiance and food, and the possibility of seeing Diamondhead, etc. as we connect in HNL. Special meals not a biggie as long as food is decent and, ideally, at least one dish without pork (wife just prefers not to eat pork).

Just in case you may not be aware of it, in order to get the AA miles, you must book this flight through the AA Web site. If you book directly with Alaska you will not get the credit.

Just in case you may not be aware of it, in order to get the AA miles, you must book this flight through the AA Web site. If you book directly with Alaska you will not get the credit.

That's not true. You do not have to book through AA's website to earn on AS operated flights.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/earnMiles/travel/airlines/alaska.jsp

That's not true. You do not have to book through AA's website to earn on AS operated flights.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/earnMiles/travel/airlines/alaska.jsp

Guess they changed the rules again. I like it this way better. If I want to book directly with BA, then so be it. I still get credit. Awesome! Thanks for the heads up.

Guess they changed the rules again.
I doubt that this is a rule change. It's rarely (if ever) been the case that you can get frequent flyer miles for a flight only if you book through the frequent flyer scheme airline's website.

Rather, this sort of ineligibility usually occurs when you must book one flight number rather than the other on a flight that carries two flight numbers, and you book the "wrong" flight number because that's the only one you can book on the operating airline's website. But it's the booked flight number that makes the difference, not where you book.

Archived