Electric car .... scheduling our day

lucyjlou

We are going to rent from sunshine on our cruise on freedom in December

Can anyone suggest best route or in which order to hit the following places:

Southernmost point

Mile 0

Drink at sloppy Joes and hogs breath

Few shops

Like to visit nice beach for a bit (I know it's not as nice as other ports but we want to visit a beach)

Any places we should drive to for great view? I'm a photographer so I love a good photo opp!

It's me and my dh and 6 yr old dd

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Any places we should drive to for great view? I'm a photographer so I love a good photo opp!

Be sure to drive out to South Roosevelt Blvd past Smathers Beach. Once you get east of the beach, the road is right on the edge of the open water. There are plenty of places to pull off and take pictures of the turquois water.

Unless you have mobility issues, why are going to rent the car? Everything you are asking about is within about a mile walk from the docks. Even taking a taxi to Southernmost Point and working your way back toward the dock would be much less expensive then the car and you can hit everything you are looking for.

There is even a small beach on Simonton next to The Pier House that ticks that box. The concession there has great fish tacos as well. There are great photo ops from here and all along the waterfront.

Electric cars are a pain to park and navigating our small streets in Old Town can be tricky. I would skip the car and spend that money on a nicer lunch, or a taxi if needed. You will see much more of Key West on foot then circling in a car looking for parking.

Simply walk down Whitehead and you will pass mile zero, Hemingway house, the lighthouse, and come to Southernmost Point. Then walk a block over to Duval and head back, shopping and stopping at Sloppys and Hogs Breath on the way. When you get to the end, walk one block over to the Simonton Street Beach.

Edited by keywester33

Have to agree with the above - unless you want to only see those sights from a car, you are better off walking. Finding parking will only be easy at either Smather's beach mentioned above or Fort Zachary Taylor (which is always my beach preference in KW) Everything else will be difficult to park near and likely take quite a while to find a spot in the first place.

My wife and I always rent bikes when we go to KW and I've found that even with bikes, I take WAY less pictures than on foot. In a car, you'd be reducing your photo ops even more. Besides the southern coast of the island (where Smathers beach is) you will no no way to see something and go "hey let's stop and take a pic"