Camera Advice please

atmss

Hubby and I are extremely excited to be taking an explorer trip for our 25th anniversary mid Jan. Neither of us are 'photographers' I currently have an OlympusSZ 30MR point and shoot with a 24x zoom. I will not have the time or knowledge to get to grips with a dslr camera with the necessary lenses for this trip but am considering buying a bridge camera - the Panasonic DMC-FZ72EB-K Lumix Camera, which has a good zoom, and will, I hope just allow me to point and shoot.

So I have three questions. Will the Panasonic be good for the Antarctic, better than what I have?

Secondly I have read its handy to have a waterproof camera. Should I, if getting the Panasonic, buy a waterproof casing for my Olympus, like the Aquapac Mini Waterproof Case with Hard Lens 428 since the Olympus has better features than most tough point and shoots.

Finally, is it worth taking a camcorder or just using the video features on the cameras

Many thanks for all and any advice

Hubby and I are extremely excited to be taking an explorer trip for our 25th anniversary mid Jan. Neither of us are 'photographers' I currently have an OlympusSZ 30MR point and shoot with a 24x zoom. I will not have the time or knowledge to get to grips with a dslr camera with the necessary lenses for this trip but am considering buying a bridge camera - the Panasonic DMC-FZ72EB-K Lumix Camera, which has a good zoom, and will, I hope just allow me to point and shoot.

So I have three questions. Will the Panasonic be good for the Antarctic, better than what I have?

Secondly I have read its handy to have a waterproof camera. Should I, if getting the Panasonic, buy a waterproof casing for my Olympus, like the Aquapac Mini Waterproof Case with Hard Lens 428 since the Olympus has better features than most tough point and shoots.

Finally, is it worth taking a camcorder or just using the video features on the cameras

Many thanks for all and any advice

I am a DSLR shooter and not familiar with the Panasonic you are asking about, but in terms of your question about a waterproof camera, I will say that I was on the fence about that before our Nat Geo/Lindblad expedition to Antarctica earlier this year, but at the end I did pick up the little Nikon AW100 and I am SO glad that I did! There will be times in the zodiacs and on land when it's wet and/or very slippery and you don't want to have a bigger (or more expensive) camera out, and this little point and shoot fit easily in my parka pocket and I could pull it out quickly. I wound up taking some of my favorite images with that little camera.

As for a dedicated video camera: that's really up to you. So many "still" cameras now take such good video, you may not think it's necessary. That said, my partner had a little Kodak Playsport (no longer made) with her, and she had a great deal of fun shooting video and I love the videos that she made. (I also love the ones I shot on my DSLR, when I remembered that I could shoot video. :p) Keep in mind that each additional camera means more batteries and another charger; at some point, the volume of the gear adds up! :)

I do encourage you to take something (like a netbook and perhaps also an external hard drive) that will allow you to upload and preserve your photos during the trip. (And also look at them.) At the very least, use different memory cards each day, so you don't ever run the risk of losing all your photos.

I have a full photographic journal about our trip to Antarctica, including pre-trip blog posts in which I wrestled with my camera decisions, which you will find here:

http://antarcticjourney.wordpress.com/

Happy Anniversary, and I hope you have a wonderful trip!

My experience has been that you don't need to worry about waterproofing: just use sensible precautions.

For video, many (most?) digital cameras produce pretty good video. A quick google for reviews on the Panasonic will, no doubt, be helpful.

On my Antarctica trip I took a Panasonic FZ30 (older bridge camera) and a Panasonic ZS3 (smaller travel zoom camera). I was worried about only have a P&S for my main camera but all my pictures came out fine. I used the smaller ZS3 for on the zodiac and videos. My pictures are here:

I took a small laptop to download my pictures every night. I also took several memory cards.

If you do get a new camera you will want to make sure that you have lots of practice with it.

Have a great trip.

Julie

• 1 month later...
Just be sure to take backups for everything. Not just for your camera but for your accessories. If something breaks, there are no camera stores nearby.

DON

Don, I see you travel like I do. For Antarctica, I had two chargers for each type of camera battery that I was bringing. Probably overkill, but, as you say, there are no stores nearby. :)

My experience has been that you don't need to worry about waterproofing: just use sensible precautions.

Among the sensible precautions I can strongly advise to be very careful about "fogging" (condensation) due to quick change of temperature between outside and inside. I almost lost one of my DSLR body to condensation two days into my Antarctica trip last month (it stopped working completely and the screen was completely fogged in :eek: when I went inside the coffee shop in Bluff Cove Lagoon in the Falklands, while outside was very windy and wet and cold). And it was supposed to be a weather-proof camera (Pentax K50). Thankfully it recovered (I took off the lens, opened everything I could open, and let it dry overnight). Use your camera bag as a "temperature buffer", putting your camera back in the bag before coming back in (and not close to your body under your jacket). It might be less of a problem for a compact camera or a bridge but be careful.

Nope same happens with bridge cameras.

I take a ziplock full of the little silica gel packs that you get in boxes of new shoes or handbags.

Before leaving the landing spot and boarding the zodiac I pop the camera into the ziplock and then into my bag. Once back on board I dont rush to take it out - wait a while then remove it and the silica gel has done its thing - no fogging.

On the actual zodiacs I have a Pentax WG1 waterproof P&S and also my ihone in a water proof case. That ensures I am still prepared for good but possible wet shots !!

One more option if it's not too late, potentially cheaper:

Nikon 1-J1 or 1-V1 with the 30-110m kit lens. $200-$300. You will zoom with your hand to frame the shot, but:

--Image quality will be much better than on most bridge cameras

--Autofocus will be much, much better.

+1 to what everybody said re: backup. Bring extra batteries and double or triple the number of memory cards you think you'll need, unless you're dumping the contents onto a computer as you sail. Use a dry bag for landings.

+1 to what everybody said re: backup. Bring extra batteries and double or triple the number of memory cards you think you'll need, unless you're dumping the contents onto a computer as you sail.

'Dumping the contents onto a computer as you sail' isn't backing up if you re-use the memory cards: you still have the images in only one place.

OK I wrote too quickly there.

The spot one really doesn't want to be in is "running out of memory cards with no hard drive".

Having images in only one place is never ideal, but hard drive recovery is pretty good these days. At least that what my friends at the NSA say.

...but hard drive recovery is pretty good these days...

Not trying to be difficult, but recovery is impossible if the hard drive is in someone else's possession.

I have my images in three 'locations': card wallets in my pockets, Colorspace UDMA2 (SSD drive) in my wife's handbag and laptop in my carry-on.

OTT it may be, but if I'm travelling half way around the world to get my images I aim to do my best to get them all home safely!

thanks everyone for the extra responses :), I have been getting to grips with the Panasonic Lumix DMC72, hoarding silica gel at every opportunity and buying lots of memory cards, bought a waterproof bag for my P&S which will get use at Iguassu too, together with a fully waterproof backpack. now I just have to pack it all!

Don, I see you travel like I do. For Antarctica, I had two chargers for each type of camera battery that I was bringing. Probably overkill, but, as you say, there are no stores nearby. :)

I would also add that you should double pack everything. Do not put anything that you can or should carry into your suitcase but put it into your carry on luggage. If you have to pack stuff, put one in each suitcase just in case one suitcase does not make it. Do he same with your photo media when you come home - spread it out.

DON

...bought a waterproof bag for my P&S which will get use at Iguassu too, together with a fully waterproof backpack.

If you take the boat ride from the Argentinian side of Iguazu Falls (and you really should visit both sides) you should be aware that you won't get wet.

You'll be drenched when they park you almost under one of the falls!

You are supplied with a heavy duty plastic bag into which you place your clothes(!) and belongings. You need to fold the top over at least three times and then hang onto it under your seat. Turning up with t-shirts and shorts to wear on the boat is a good idea.

Great fun!