NCL = Old. Stereotypes about NCL.

I was at a party this weekend telling some friends we booked a cruise. I had the strangest responses ever. One told me that I shouldn't go because December is the tail end of hurricane season (we are Dec 8) and it is too much of a risk- bizarre, because the chance of a December hurricane is extremely small historically, and they just generally go to other ports- ships sail all hurricane season.

There were a few other comments, but the one that baffled me was "Oh, gosh, don't go on NCL! That's for old people."

Where did this stereotype come from? When the line first started was it more like HAL or Cunard? I have never heard of NCL being 'old' and freestyle actually seems to be more young.

I think all the mass market lines cater towards families. We don't have kids, but are 30 somethings.

Any other NCL stereotypes I should prepare for? Any of them true?

I was at a party this weekend telling some friends we booked a cruise. I had the strangest responses ever. One told me that I shouldn't go because December is the tail end of hurricane season (we are Dec 8) and it is too much of a risk- bizarre, because the chance of a December hurricane is extremely small historically, and they just generally go to other ports- ships sail all hurricane season.

There were a few other comments, but the one that baffled me was "Oh, gosh, don't go on NCL! That's for old people."

Where did this stereotype come from? When the line first started was it more like HAL or Cunard? I have never heard of NCL being 'old' and freestyle actually seems to be more young.

I think all the mass market lines cater towards families. We don't have kids, but are 30 somethings.

The hurricane season officially ends on November 30th, no worry in December. I have never heard NCL described as "for old people." You are right in stating that freestyle cruising actually attracts a younger clientele. Older passengers are attracted to cruises of longer than 7 days when schools are in session.

A true stereotype about NCL is that they are probably the most innovative cruise line. They were the first to sail year round out of New York and the first to introduce freestyle dining. Most of the other cruise lines are now following in NCL's wake.

Among the stereotypes about NCL, "old" is not one I have commonly heard. Other than the stereotype of all cruise passengers as "newly wed, overfed or nearly dead." Was the speaker knowledgeable about cruising? Or might the speaker be disconnected enough from cruising to confuse two of the cruiselines that frequently use initials...NCL and HAL? Or maybe a friend went on an NCL cruise and was surprised older adults (with time and money) travel?

Was the speaker knowledgeable about cruising?

They were, at least a bit- they had done 2 on Carnival and were about to go on Royal Carribean. They had been avoiding NCL because it was for old people.

Absolutely bizarre.

Huh - never heard the "old people" comment about NCL, have heard it quite frequently about HAL. I too agree that demographics on any cruise have more to do with what time of the year you are crusing and how long the cruise is.

The comment I heard most when we started cruising NCL was they "nickled and dimed you to death". I think this is because people saw all the for-a-fee options as additional costs to something they should be getting included in their base fare instead of something that is an option they can take advantage of or not. This sterotype seems to be fading away as other lines add optional dining rooms and other fee-based activities, like martini tastings, etc.

One of the big surprises I had on the Pride Of America cruise last week around Hawaii was that at 51, we were on the young side.

There were some honeymooners and young families. But there were a lot of old people. Very few children and probably more grandparents/grand kids than parents/kids.

Before the cruise, I was worried about keeping up with the group while snorkeling. Of the group of 100+ on the Molokini snorkeling excursion, there were probably 20 under 30, while there were probably 40 over 60. On our ziplining trip of 8, there was one couple that was in their 40s, us in our 50s, and four others that were all 65+ (the recent retirement of one of them brought up the subject of ages). On the Zodiac ride of 10 people, there were four of us older than 50, two kids under 10, their parents, and a couple of guys in their 20s.

It might be that the things we chose to do happen to attract other old(er) people. I didn't see everyone on the ship and I wasn't out late in the bars. We were up and off the boat early in the morning.

Having said all of that, I'm glad that the age group was older than I thought.

I am 50 years old. I have been on a 7 day long spring break and was the oldest. (one of the best cruises) I have been on a 12 day cruise and was one of the youngest. (everyone ate from 5:30 to 6pm; we waited until 7:30 no wait). I was on a 14 day open jaw ( New York, to New Orleans) older group but I was not the youngest and a very 'busy fun' cruise.

One of the big surprises I had on the Pride Of America cruise last week around Hawaii was that at 51, we were on the young side.

Hmm, this I can see. It is very expensive to get to Hawaii, so I bet it does skew a lot older than Carribean. (We were meant to do our honeymoon in Hawaii- Aunt gave us a timeshare, but plane tickets were so expensive we went skiing in Colorado instead. We hadn't discovered cruising yet. Hope we make it to Hawaii someday!)

Good point. And it was also April when school is in session.

Hmm, this I can see. It is very expensive to get to Hawaii, so I bet it does skew a lot older than Carribean. (We were meant to do our honeymoon in Hawaii- Aunt gave us a timeshare, but plane tickets were so expensive we went skiing in Colorado instead. We hadn't discovered cruising yet. Hope we make it to Hawaii someday!)

Did you take your cruise by way of the 8th Dimension??? :D

There were some honeymooners and young families. But there were a lot of old people. Very few children and probably more grandparents/grand kids than parents/kids.

Before the cruise, I was worried about keeping up with the group while snorkeling. Of the group of 100+ on the Molokini snorkeling excursion, there were probably 20 under 30, while there were probably 40 over 60. On our ziplining trip of 8, there was one couple that was in their 40s, us in our 50s, and four others that were all 65+ (the recent retirement of one of them brought up the subject of ages). On the Zodiac ride of 10 people, there were four of us older than 50, two kids under 10, their parents, and a couple of guys in their 20s.

It might be that the things we chose to do happen to attract other old(er) people. I didn't see everyone on the ship and I wasn't out late in the bars. We were up and off the boat early in the morning.

Having said all of that, I'm glad that the age group was older than I thought.

I cannot convince my extended family to take a NCL cruise again because they had a bad experience on the Dawn a bunch of years ago. So they booked Carnival. Hmmm. But then they canceled because of all the trouble. And booked X. Hmmmm. Wondering what their reaction will be when they're docked near Breakaway in Bermuda.

Some people have things in their head and are just not willing to change their minds.

You'll have a great time. Vacation is what you make of it.

I'm with you Skittl. Hoping to cruise NCL Pride in 2016 with my DS's my BFF & her DD's in Aug. 2016. Because of how $$$ it is, we'll need about 2 yrs. to plan that trip!!! :D

I' Because of how $$$ it is, we'll need about 2 yrs. to plan that trip!!! :D

We booked Celebrity Xpedition 3 years out! Our cruise in December was booked because we were impatient waiting to sail her! (And so was the one last year...)

I cannot convince my extended family to take a NCL cruise again because they had a bad experience on the Dawn a bunch of years ago. So they booked Carnival. Hmmm. But then they canceled because of all the trouble. And booked X. Hmmmm. Wondering what their reaction will be when they're docked near Breakaway in Bermuda.

Some people have things in their head and are just not willing to change their minds.

You'll have a great time. Vacation is what you make of it.

Too bad their first experience with NCL was a bad one. They're missing out.

You may hear people say that you have to pay to get a good meal. Not true. I didn't find the food that different than what I had on Carnival. The food in the MDR is about the same. Carnival has some really good deserts, NCL not so much except for the crepes at the buffet. BTW, the buffet on the Jewel is excellent and far surpasses those on the Carnival ships I've been on.

Regarding the pay restaurants, most of them are very good and they are better than the MDR. If they weren't, who would pay for them. I think it's great to have so many choices.

I tell my friends if they like Crate & Barel, Volkswagon's, Apple, Sony, South Moon Under, etc - then, NCL is the cruise to take:).

You may hear people say that you have to pay to get a good meal. Not true. I didn't find the food that different than what I had on Carnival. The food in the MDR is about the same. Carnival has some really good deserts, NCL not so much except for the crepes at the buffet. BTW, the buffet on the Jewel is excellent and far surpasses those on the Carnival ships I've been on.

Regarding the pay restaurants, most of them are very good and they are better than the MDR. If they weren't, who would pay for them. I think it's great to have so many choices.

I generally agree with you and think dining expectations are one of the biggest challenges for cruisers. They tend to have overly high expectations or visions of buffet food all week.

Very rare for a hurricanes in Caribbean in Dec. Tropical storms can form at any time, but even if you went in the height of hurricane season in Aug or Sept the probability of actual being in a tropical hurricane would be small as the cruise lines would reroute the ship to another area. Age demographics can vary from cruise line to cruise line from ship to ship and sailing date to sailing date. It all depends upon the time of year, etc. I think NCL would be about the same as Carnival or RCI. Sure there will be older/senior adults as they have the time and money to cruise on any cruise ship. But who knows really knows until you actual sail. I really don't think your friend know what they are talking about. They have the right to their opinions and that's all it is. Here's the official rating on NCL from the Cruisecritic and I would agree:

Fellow Passengers

The crowd is diverse -- primarily American -- ranging in age from young families to older folks, and as well as a good many cruisers with disabilities. Norwegian has cultivated a broad appeal, which means its ships are oriented to both families and couples. They're appropriate for gay and lesbian travelers, too.

Having just booked my first NCL cruise the only thing I hear enough to be a stereotype is "bad food." But considering how ridiculously picky so many people are about food I pay no attention to that :D

I've never heard the "old" thing. I have always thought of it as a "family line" in the same vein as RCI. Considering our cruise is long-ish (11 days) in Europe during April I expect the age will skew older. We will have our middle-school aged daughters with us and I fully expect them to be some of the only kids (relatively speaking).

I tell my friends if they like Crate & Barel, Volkswagon's, Apple, Sony, South Moon Under, etc - then, NCL is the cruise to take:).

You forgot Rolls Royce, G4 jet, Rolex, & 40 yr old wife(I'm 72)

Archived