Water Retention and Swollen Ankles and Feet?

ladycaveat

Sandra, we all know you were a child bride:) :D ;)

You know Lois, if I know the law as well as I think I do . . . I don't think babies are allowd to get married and I have no doubt looking at that picture of Sandra that she had to be a baby when she got married. If not . . . I want to borrow her Fountain of Youth booth . . . . :D

You know Lois, if I know the law as well as I think I do . . . I don't think babies are allowd to get married and I have no doubt looking at that picture of Sandra that she had to be a baby when she got married. If not . . . I want to borrow her Fountain of Youth booth . . . . :D

Hi Tammy....I have to say I was flattered all week on the ship:D

Whenever I told someone about the BIG 50 birthday, most people,

(whether they actually meant it or not) said I did not look 50:)

and I said thank you and told them I loved them;) :D.

Sandra, you look terrific girlfriend!!!!! (And I DO mean it)!

Hi Tammy....I have to say I was flattered all week on the ship:D

Whenever I told someone about the BIG 50 birthday, most people,

(whether they actually meant it or not) said I did not look 50:)

and I said thank you and told them I loved them;) :D.

Sandra, you look terrific girlfriend!!!!! (And I DO mean it)!

Hey Lois . . . I've known you for years and I've always told you that you could be my muchhhhhhhh younger sister. I turned 61 in January and still feel like this twenty-one year old stuck in the body of my grandmother (oh, if only I could be a grandma . . . I'd be so ever happy but I think Mike is having too much fun being a single pilot . . . :eek: ).

• 6 years later...

Hi Guys. I am getting a bit concerned about my fluid retention which started after my 4th session of Taxotere and has now esculated since my 6th and last one. It is 3 weeks since my last session and the fluid build up is awful. It is all over my body but mainly by feet, calves, thighs and arms. I just wondered if any one else has had 6 sessions and how long their retention lasted. I have mentioned it to my oncologist and breast nurse but they didn't seem over bothered and offered me nothing for it. I have put on a stone and half altogether with treatment, and this is not due to eating too much as I have had no real appetite for 6 months and have only snacked on fruit etc. I also have bone/muscle pain on and off and this also seems to be getting worse....any suggestions or experiences welcome. http://blog.expelis.com/

• 4 months later...

I have this problem as well, While on a 15 day cruise to Hawaii, I was so swollen I could hardly walk. So I researched this issue. It has nothing to do with consuming too much salt or humidity, It is a form of seasickness... caused by the motion of the ship....

A lot of people's feet swell because the ship moves...when the ship moves blood "leaves" your feet and goes mostly to your brain and your equilibrium area. People who get seasickness, suffer mostly because there is an imbalance of blood and pressure within their equilibrium area. What does this have to do with feet swelling? Well as blood rushes to your head and fuels your heart and equilibrium, your brain and heart then realizes a shortage of blood bellow your abdomen. When it senses and imbalance it may then send a surge of blood to your feet which in turn makes your feet swell and possibly irritable. This may go on for several days until your brain reaches a constant ration of blood through out your body. I noticed much improvement after a few days.

Hope this helps!

• 4 months later...
I have this problem as well, While on a 15 day cruise to Hawaii, I was so swollen I could hardly walk. So I researched this issue. It has nothing to do with consuming too much salt or humidity, It is a form of seasickness... caused by the motion of the ship....

A lot of people's feet swell because the ship moves...when the ship moves blood "leaves" your feet and goes mostly to your brain and your equilibrium area. People who get seasickness, suffer mostly because there is an imbalance of blood and pressure within their equilibrium area. What does this have to do with feet swelling? Well as blood rushes to your head and fuels your heart and equilibrium, your brain and heart then realizes a shortage of blood bellow your abdomen. When it senses and imbalance it may then send a surge of blood to your feet which in turn makes your feet swell and possibly irritable. This may go on for several days until your brain reaches a constant ration of blood through out your body. I noticed much improvement after a few days.

Hope this helps!

This kinda makes sense.

I have never had swollen feet on a cruise (nor on a plane). Then, after my car accident, I told my Dr. that the back of my head feels swollen and in the morning I wake up with extense ringing in my ears and feeling like my blood circulation to my head is having some sort of blockage. This has been going on for 5 yrs. When I started having the courage to cruise again, 4 yrs after accident. I now have EXTREME swelling in only my feet. I can't wear most of the shoes I bring, and it gets hard to have the bend in ankle to walk properly.

Since the blood circulation to my head is not good, then on a cruise (combined with higher elevation, as I live where its "sea level") would be constantly trying to compensate to my feet.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in my 40's, and had never had a problem with swollen ankles/feet until my 3rd cruise. It got so bad by about day 5 of 7, that I got scared something was really, radically wrong - I almost couldn't walk. We were cruising w/friends, and she had rx water pills - she gave me 2 per day for the rest of the cruise - but with no relief. I was trying hard to stay away from too much salty stuff, and drinking lots of water. They would be better in the morning, but by late afternoon, super bad. After reading a few posts on CC, I started to wonder whether it was the ship's tap water... And then I realized that on my first couple of cruises, I was too scared to drink tap water - spent a fortune on the bottled stuff. By my 3rd cruise, I had read enough to believe that the tap water was safe - so I consumed a lot. So I decided to experiment. On my 4th & consecutive cruises, I ordered and only drank bottled water. Guess what?! No problems whatsoever with swelling. I still believe that the ships tap water is "safe," but for whatever reason, I can't tolerate it. I have a lot of food intolerances and environmental allergies, so perhaps I'm just ultra-sensitive to whatever is used to purify/treat the water. I don't think this is necessarily the answer for everyone, but it was definitely the answer for me. Expensive, but WORTH IT to me to buy the bottled water.