Water Retention and Swollen Ankles and Feet?

ladycaveat

I have been thinking about the suggestion to take Potassium supplements to reduce swelling

of the feet and ankles. I agree that is not the best idea.

To increase your potassium levels more naturally, eat bananas.

They should be readily available on board the ship. Just a thought!

Compression stockings can be purchased Over the Counter at Pharmacies in Canada - or by prescription from your doctor. They have the most cmpression at the ankle and gradually lessen the compression /squeezing as they approach the knee.

And here I thought it was just me! I also puff up on a cruise, and came up with what I thought was an ingenious solution. :D I took a bottle of Midol along and took 1 or 2 each morning. It helps with a) bloating, b) aches and pains and c) has caffeine to help with being tired. Perfect solution for me! Also works really well for those early morning shore excursions after a few too many boat drinks. :D Don't know why I never thought of it before, but it worked like a champ on our cruise this month. 15 days on the Imagination and no puffiness! (As a disclaimer, if you're taking any other medication check with your doctor...)

Can you tell me where you purchased the compression stockings, is it at a surgical supply store?

I have an L'Occitane outlet nearby, I am also going to see if they have the water retention gel.

Where can I get the Elemis?

Stephanie

Samian - why does it say Cool Cruiser under our names?? I am rather new to the boards.

Thanks.

If you are taking a mild diuretic (fluid pill) you don't need a potassium supplement in pill form. A glass of orange juice or a banana once a day

will provide you enough added potassium. The poster above is right that

potassium supplements can be very dangerous.

My suggestion is that if this is a real problem, call your doctor. She/he may be willing to give a very mild prescription such as hydrochlorothiazide (also known as HCTZ) It is dirty cheap and should be taken first thing in the morning, unless you like spending your evenings in the potty.

And while I do not recommend this necessarily if you are healthy (no heart problems, blood pressure or diabetes) you an get HCTZ in any pharmacy in Mexico or Belize without a prescription.

Samian - why does it say Cool Cruiser under our names?? I am rather new to the boards.

Thanks.

The title under your name is indicative of how many posts you've made on the boards. Kind of like an experience level...I don't know the cut-offs, but Cool Cruisers means we haven't posted a ton...Hope this helps a little!

Also wear Crocs...they have extra room, and are great for sore feet.

Are these Crocs comfortable? They are not very attractive, but if they are comfy I may just try a pair. I have the hardest time finding comfortable shoes so I am usually in my sneakers. I bought two pair of dress shoes for the formal nights, but I bet I end up going back to the room when dinner is over and changing into jeans and a sweater so I can wear my sneakers, lol

:o Crocs are quite amazing. Wear them with cotton socks.

They are especially light and come in many colours.

I HAVE noticed that the offshore knock offs are not as cushiony as the real crocks. You should try before you buy. I have a dark blue pair to wear with jeans. The wild pastels are quite a fashion statement for kids.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there ladycaveat, Lois ..Jane and everyone....

I have noticed this swelling thing too, I was quite puzzled on my first cruise when this happened. It also happened on our next trip too, so I mentioned it to our local Dr., and he prescribed a mild diuretic - which I take with me now each time we sail.

I never use it at any other time...someone said it was to do with the drinking water on the ship??...anyway..the meds work great.

Big hello to all the great people on these boards who make it such good fun!

Ladycaveat.... I was following a thread a while ago about "mini lifts", you were saying you may be considering this...did you ever have it done, or is it still under consideration? Just wondering what happened! Best wishes..Sandra

Happy cruising

S&D:)

beach_porthole01.gif.jpg.55335a2810e0813096756b5f52a735f4.jpg

Hi there ladycaveat, Lois ..Jane and everyone....

I have noticed this swelling thing too, I was quite puzzled on my first cruise when this happened. It also happened on our next trip too, so I mentioned it to our local Dr., and he prescribed a mild diuretic - which I take with me now each time we sail.

I never use it at any other time...someone said it was to do with the drinking water on the ship??...anyway..the meds work great.

Big hello to all the great people on these boards who make it such good fun!

Ladycaveat.... I was following a thread a while ago about "mini lifts", you were saying you may be considering this...did you ever have it done, or is it still under consideration? Just wondering what happened! Best wishes..Sandra

Happy cruising

Sandra, it's still under consideration . . . can we say the thoght of someone near my face with a knife still scares me . . . :eek: I am going in next week for Restalyn or how ever you spell thoses shots that are supposed to fill in the two deep creases at each side of my mouth. Wish me luck . . . :p Tammy

Hi girls:) Tammy, Sandra...good to see you both.

Well, after returning home from my 10 day cruise I can tell you

my ankles did swell (again:rolleyes: ) and no, the Elemis did not help.

I just deal with it.....I choose to drink adult libations and

no, I don't salt my food......so it is just the way it is I suppose.

I had a FANTABULOUS time anyway:D and if you click

on Flickr in my signature there are a bunch of new photos

under "GALAXY 2008":)

Hi girls:) Tammy, Sandra...good to see you both.

Well, after returning home from my 10 day cruise I can tell you

my ankles did swell (again:rolleyes: ) and no, the Elemis did not help.

I just deal with it.....I choose to drink adult libations and

no, I don't salt my food......so it is just the way it is I suppose.

I had a FANTABULOUS time anyway:D and if you click

on Flickr in my signature there are a bunch of new photos

under "GALAXY 2008":)

Welcome Home Lois! Sorry to hear your ankles swelled up again . . . I'm beginning to think it's just one of the things one has to endure when one cruises (especially when you're over forty). I'm pea green with envy . . . I love the Galaxy!!!!!!! Tammy

Tammy...I love restylane, it's the only little thing I have done.... have had it 3 times, always pre cruise...a natural product my Dr. says, and yes, it does wonders for those pesky lines. hee hee

Lois, I am just going to look at your new photos.....XXXX

Sandra

hfish2.gif.35fa729cc72b6c379609923ecfe4844d.gif

The best things for swollen feet is plenty of water (believe it or not - the less you drink the more you retain and the more salt you intake the more water you need!) and elevation.

I worked a temp weekend job in which I was on my feet for 15 hours a day for 3 days and we could not wear athletic shoes (or anything remotely resembling athletic shoes). After the first night my feet were swollen and on fire. Knowing that I had to do this for 2 more days, I went home laid down and elevated my feet as high as I could and still feel comfortable (actually I laid on the floor with my feet up on the couch). By morning, the were good as new!!! So a few extra pillows at the end of the bed ought to do the trick.

Tammy...I love restylane, it's the only little thing I have done.... have had it 3 times, always pre cruise...a natural product my Dr. says, and yes, it does wonders for those pesky lines. hee hee

Lois, I am just going to look at your new photos.....XXXX

Sandra

Oh thank you Sandra . . . you're the first one I've heard that has used Restylane (have met lots of Botox users). I really can't wait. I have an appointment with the doctor this Friday to go over everything and have it explained in detail and then the injections will be on April 3rd for my April 27th cruise. From what I've heard, Restylane lasts a lot longer than Botox (and of course Botox is a relaxer while Restylane is a filler). Tell me about your experiences . . . were you able to go back to work the next day without any redness or swelling? Did it hurt . . . :o Tee Hee!!!!! Tammy

Hi Tammy,

I have not used Botox...just restylane. No pain really, just like pin pricks, and a little red for about 2 or 3 days...nothing really! Have had it 3 times, about $300 per time..once a yr...and it lasts on me about 6 to 9 months. No one would know, makeup covers it well..I just used moisturizer! I just don't wear a lot of makeup. I may be a grandma, BUT... I like to look good while I go a-cwoozin...hee hee

I am very happy with it ..:) as it has no side effects at all for most people, it agrees with me so I am thrilled with it.

Tried collagen once, no discomfort at all, due to the anaesthetic inbuilt....but lasted ONLY :( 3 months. Same result..looked good!

Hope you have a good result too..

S&D

xx

Hi Tammy,

I have not used Botox...just restylane. No pain really, just like pin pricks, and a little red for about 2 or 3 days...nothing really! Have had it 3 times, about $300 per time..once a yr...and it lasts on me about 6 to 9 months. No one would know, makeup covers it well..I just used moisturizer! I just don't wear a lot of makeup. I may be a grandma, BUT... I like to look good while I go a-cwoozin...hee hee

I am very happy with it ..:) as it has no side effects at all for most people, it agrees with me so I am thrilled with it.

Tried collagen once, no discomfort at all, due to the anaesthetic inbuilt....but lasted ONLY :( 3 months. Same result..looked good!

Hope you have a good result too..

S&D

xx

I'll tell you what . . . from the picture of you and your husband . . . you sure don't look like any grandma I've ever seen. In fact, you look darn good girlfriend! The price for Restylane around here is between $500 to $1000 . . . :eek:

I have waited tables off and on for five years. I would get swollen feet and legs so bad you could see right where my socks ended. When my feet swell up, I wear a pair of support socks all night and keep my feet propped up. Get the heavy duty ones like in a hospital. Not the most stylist, but who cares when Drink 20-40 oz of water before bed. Yeah you have to tinkle all night but it works like a charm every time. :D

I didn't mine from this place, but this is the style.

Oh Tammy.....:) :D flattery will get you everywhere...LOL...we have been married 35 yrs, and have 2 grandchildren 6 and 3 and 2 daughters..so I try to keep looking nice for them and me!

S&D

beach_porthole01.gif.jpg.d1174812bd7f66909efbd4eb9c9a1e8e.jpg

Oh Tammy.....:) :D flattery will get you everywhere...LOL...we have been married 35 yrs, and have 2 grandchildren 6 and 3 and 2 daughters..so I try to keep looking nice for them and me!

S&D

Sandra, we all know you were a child bride:) :D ;)

I've never had swollen ankles when I cruise, but when I fly any distance my ankles and feet always swell. What causes that? What is the best remedy to prevent it? I could really use the help.

The $64,000 question.....nobody seems to have a tried and true

answer for the ankles/feet while in the air or on the ship.

I do know after a night of sleep (feet are up) my swelling usually

goes down a bit.

On a plane that is quite impossible to do though.

So, other than saying I understand your predicament, I can't

give you solution to reduce the swelling.