Star Legend or Wind Surf Northen Europe?

kywhiskey

We are thinking about a Northern Europe cruise on either Star Legend or Wind Surf. I really prefer the Star Legend Itinerary and Suite sizes, but have read lots of bad reviews of Star Legend which make me hesitant to book, especially with all the tender problems. We like smaller ships, casual dress code, and are not really into large cruise ship entertainment so Windstar looks good to us, except for the mixed reviews. Just trying to get a feel if these are just snobs who don't like the casual atmosphere or Star Legend really has big problems. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by kywhiskey

We have sailed on both and have had nothing but good experiences. I was very leery about the Legend because of the initial bad reviews but found it to be just as lovely as the Surf. Service was excellent and suites huge. Food was wonderful. I think I'd go with itinerary as all else is pretty much equal. We did miss the sails but that's not enough to make us choose one over the other. And yes, some people can never be pleased no matter what. They should stick to the big ships or just stay home and save the rest of us from their negativity.

I'll be interested to hear your comparison or others.

We've been 5 times on the Windsurf and once on the Windstar. We've booked the Star Legend for Iceland/Norway/Ireland this summer. I'm sure we will enjoy the larger cabins on this ship and the wonderful service that Windstar always offers. We also chose it for the itinerary over other offerings.

I'm hopeful that we will not find the outdoor deck space limited or the gym too small for my 6' husband to exercise. I would also like to hear from anyone who has actually used the current pool for exercise.

I was on the Breeze this past December. There is a lot of outside space. I loved the bow in the am with the hot tub no one ever there, beautiful felt like riding the waves. In back of the lounge there us a lovely outside space with a couch and chairs, again no one used it. At the top of the pool bar on the stern great space, if it really sunny there is no shade but a great space. With the widened area above the pool great space. I think the outside space us well thought out. The inside space is lovely. I have a compromised back so I was in the pool everyday excerising against the current and doing my water aerobics, another gentleman also did this early am. I was never in the gym. Being from the NE if I can be warm and outside that is what I like. We have been in the Surf 13 times and 5 times on the other sailboats, we enjoyed the Breeze emensely a great ship, beautiful, graceful lines. Would go on one of the motor yachts again in a minute but the next is sailing out of Venice in 2017 on the Surf. Happy Sailing

The Wind Surf suites are commodious, though limited to porthole views; as they are comprised of two adjacent cabins, one the bedroom and the other the living room, they are quite different than those on Star Legend.

Star Legend has full ocean views from its suites, whether window or French balcony, and has IMO a more open feeling.

The issue with Star Legend tenders has hopefully been addressed - I was told a maintenance crew flew in and performed some maintenance. If this has not addressed the issue sufficiently, I'm sure there will have been lots of complaints registered and they will pay dearly for not dealing with it. Certainly by the time they're repositioned in Europe!

The decks are spacious, and the gym is very large and won't be a problem for a six footer (I'm 6'4").