Family Activities - Miami vs. Ft. Lauderdale

lawyerboy5555

We will likely be extending our cruise by several days - curious what fun family-friendly activities there are to do in Miami and Ft Lauderdale (besides just hang at the beach). What are some things everyone has tried and enjoyed?

Thanks in advance!!

Not only ages, but what time of year? Tons to do in both cities. The ages would help and what time of year? Versailles for example is only open March through October and the Everglades are impossible to visit June through September.

The new Manatee Lagoon is opening this weekend in Riviera Beach.

http://www.visitmanateelagoon.com/

There should be a bunch of them there this weekend.

Is this the same place at Lake Worth where the manatees used to hang out? I remember years ago we'd go up there and watch the manatees basking in the warm water from the FPL output then I heard they closed that power station?

BTW, it is free.

Edited to add that I googled my question and it looks like the plant shut down from 2011-2016 to convert from oil to natural gas and it is the same place.

Edited by BlueHerons

The new Manatee Lagoon is opening this weekend in Riviera Beach.

http://www.visitmanateelagoon.com/

Brunello - after seeing your earlier thread, four of us are going next week. I'll report back :p.

A week or 10 days ago I saw a big manatee eating sea grass in Hillsboro Inlet. Luckily (at least at that time) he/she wasn't in the channel between the ocean and the intra-coastal but along the park on the southwest side of the inlet. The constant (well every 15 minutes when the bridge opens) boat traffic made me nervous.

Edited by capriccio

There should be a bunch of them there this weekend.

Is this the same place at Lake Worth where the manatees used to hang out? I remember years ago we'd go up there and watch the manatees basking in the warm water from the FPL output then I heard they closed that power station?

BTW, it is free.

Edited to add that I googled my question and it looks like the plant shut down from 2011-2016 to convert from oil to natural gas and it is the same place.

Oh very cool! I am going to try to stop there on Wednesday on my drive back from Orlando, if I can.

It would be one daughter, age 7, going in March. Thanks.

Zoo Miami

http://www.zoomiami.org/

Miami Sea Aquarium

http://www.miamiseaquarium.com/

Parrot Jungle

https://www.jungleisland.com/

Venetian Pool

http://coralgables.com/index.aspx?page=167

Edited by BlueHerons

It was a great day to see manatees. The air temp (and probably the water temp too) was cool so they congregated near the warm water outlets of the Florida Light and Power Plant. For visitors the sun was out and the wind wasn't strong so it was perfect manatee viewing weather.

The Manatee Lagoon would be worth a visit under any circumstances but the fact that is free makes it even more appealing. We visited this afternoon arriving a little after 1:30 when it opened (normal opening hours are in the morning but it looked like they had a special reception at lunch today so they delayed the opening). The backup to enter the parking area was long so we parked on the street (I'm guessing that if the crowds continue the neighborhood may request permit parking).

The area includes a lovely two story building. First floor is the gift shop (they don't miss a trick, you enter and exit via the gift shop) and a nice informational area on manatees (takes maybe 15 minutes to review). Two sides of the building have decking to view manatees in a lagoon area and along the intra-coastal. You can also take stairs or an elevator to the second floor where there is a lecture room (I think; it was locked) and more decking. The view from there was even better - you could easily see the manatees and the fish that swim around them. Folks counted over 50 manatees in the area (they have a white board that does the count for each of the four areas in the morning, at noon and in the later afternoon).

When leaving (or before entering depending on where you park) the building there are several hundred feet of walkway right along the intra-coastal between unused piers. Lots more manatees, many right up next to the walkway.

It was a lovely way to spend a couple of hours and everyone - regardless of age - seemed to be enjoying it immensely. I highly recommend it should you be anywhere near West Palm Beach.

Capriccio, I'm so happy to read that you made it there and enjoyed it. Thanks for reporting on your experience. I got stuck in Palm Beach traffic on my way home from central FL yesterday afternoon, so I couldn't make the stop. Looking forward to visiting!

That's so cool!

I think we are going Tuesday!

Brunello, I am obsessed with that manatee cam!

That is awesome you're going - let us know how you liked it!

Have you seen the photos of Three Sisters Springs near Crystal River? They are huddling all together just to keep warm. I went snorkeling there a number of years ago, but I didn't see the large numbers of them as reported now!