POA: Realistic to eat lunch on ship every day?

carmzav

I am in the process of planning our budget for a trip next summer aboard the POA.

Years ago, when we cruised Alaska, we managed to arrange our excursions so that we were able to eat all of our meals onboard and didn't need to spend any extra money on food while visiting the ports. Is this doable at the ports in Hawaii, or is it more trouble than it is worth? If it is unrealistic, what should I budget for lunch each day for 3 (2 adults, one kid) at super-casual restaurants?

If you have to return to the ship for lunch, it will really, really cut into your shore time! Do know that everything in Hawaii is more expensive than elsewhere...so I'd figure about $12 pp for a very casual, fast lunch.

How about eating a BIG breakfast, and grabbing a snack when you get back to the ship? Would that be doable? It would work for me, but not my hubby!

This is controversial, and I hesitate to bring it up, but some POA cruisers say it is very easy to make sandwiches or grab some fruit and muffins off the breakfast buffet to take off the ship in a small soft sided cooler. This freaks out some who insist that no food can be taken off as in Caribbean Ports. This makes no sense to me, as all the food came on board FROM Hawaii and you are simply walking back off the ship with it.

So when we do the POA in a few weeks, I will find out what the scoop is. We are taking a small soft sided cooler that we will fold up in the suitcase and at least we'll have it in the car for cold drinks if nothing else.

We do plan on a few lunches bought off the ship, even a couple of dinners when we overnight. There are "shrimp trucks" on some of the islands that are pretty inexpensive and highly regarded that sell various dishes and plate lunches. Also many Diners frequented by locals for good inexpensive authentic Hawaiian food. I recall that there were some places in the area of the beginning of the Highway to Hana that you could stop and buy a box lunch or plate to take with you. A little research should come up with some good options that will fit in with your plans.

This is controversial, and I hesitate to bring it up, but some POA cruisers say it is very easy to make sandwiches or grab some fruit and muffins off the breakfast buffet to take off the ship in a small soft sided cooler. This freaks out some who insist that no food can be taken off as in Caribbean Ports. This makes no sense to me, as all the food came on board FROM Hawaii and you are simply walking back off the ship with it.

So when we do the POA in a few weeks, I will find out what the scoop is. We are taking a small soft sided cooler that we will fold up in the suitcase and at least we'll have it in the car for cold drinks if nothing else.

We do plan on a few lunches bought off the ship, even a couple of dinners when we overnight. There are "shrimp trucks" on some of the islands that are pretty inexpensive and highly regarded that sell various dishes and plate lunches. Also many Diners frequented by locals for good inexpensive authentic Hawaiian food. I recall that there were some places in the area of the beginning of the Highway to Hana that you could stop and buy a box lunch or plate to take with you. A little research should come up with some good options that will fit in with your plans.

We did this. We grabbed some rolls, bagels, and things and tossed them in our soft-sided cooler. I think my sister-in-law grabbed a couple yogurts, too. As you said, the ship gets all its supplies in Hawaii, so everything has already passed the Hawaiian Agriculture inspections. We also left plenty of money on-shore in our support of the local economy. :D

We did this. We grabbed some rolls, bagels, and things and tossed them in our soft-sided cooler. I think my sister-in-law grabbed a couple yogurts, too. As you said, the ship gets all its supplies in Hawaii, so everything has already passed the Hawaiian Agriculture inspections. We also left plenty of money on-shore in our support of the local economy. :D

Glad to hear this. Sometimes it is nice to have a little something handy when you are traveling from one place to another or if you are in out of the way places and it would be a hassle to have to head out somewhere to look for food. We are spending plenty on tours, dinners, lunches etc, so I won't feel guilty about a couple sandwiches.

I am in the process of planning our budget for a trip next summer aboard the POA.

Years ago, when we cruised Alaska, we managed to arrange our excursions so that we were able to eat all of our meals onboard and didn't need to spend any extra money on food while visiting the ports. Is this doable at the ports in Hawaii, or is it more trouble than it is worth? If it is unrealistic, what should I budget for lunch each day for 3 (2 adults, one kid) at super-casual restaurants?

Sailed on POA early this month.

trying to be on board for lunch all the time would mean missing a huge chunk of Hawaii - forget it.

We did eat on board 3 times - boarding day, Hilo (did not tour, just roamed the town for a while, then back for lunch) and Friday (tour to Waimea Canyon). The ship sails at 2 so lunch is doable.

Some tour programs include lunch. Other provide purchase opportunities - not cheap, but not crazy. If you are renting and doing it on your own, then you can take from the ship or buy food from a grocery or an ABC store to take along.

Here's a suggestion to add to the other posters' - bring some plastic baggies to stash you booty from the buffet. Aside from breakfast, you can grab from the late snack buffet. They usually have pre-made sandwiches as well. Put them in your cabin fridge over night.

And most importantly - enjoy!

Agree with the answers above. You'd spend so much time getting back and forth to the ship for lunch that you'd lose a big chuck of your vacation. Not worth the savings.

Yes, even fast food is more expensive in Hawaii - but not THAT much more expensive. And there's all kinds of great local eats, so don't spend your money on chain fast food.

And yes, you can easily take some munchies off the ship; we have done that on almost every cruise we've taken, no matter where. Just don't bother bringing the remains back to the ship.

we were there last april pleae enjoy the hawaiian food on the island. we did and really enjoyed it wouldnt have missed it for the world. it not very pricey if you stay away from the resorts we tried some food trucks that were good or try what i call hole in the wall places that were good :)

Some of the excursions provide lunches, so be sure to check before you go. Also, bring a few ziplock bags with you (as some other folks mentioned), and make a couple of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to take along! Fruit, bagels, whatever will stay fresh - everyone wanders out of the dining room with a few snacks for the day!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We always just bring a few snacks we bring on board.

Granola bars, jerky, twizzlers, nuts, etc....just in case we need or want them, or end up delayed for some unforeseen reason.

If your doing the Baggie thing, you'll want some for ice, too, to keep things cold.