Best Christmas Markets to Visit?

editor@cruisecritic

I'm excited to be taking my first Christmas markets cruise later this month but wonder: Are there markets that are better than others? Does each city's market specialize? Which ones did you like? Did you get markets burnout (a colleague went on a cruise, loved it, but reported that after awhile all the markets are alike)? Are there particular gifts that are must-buys and others that can be bypassed?

Would love advice and specifics (and promise to share my impressions when I return).

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

In the larger cities there are more than one. Salzberg has a nice Christmas Market, so does Vienna by the Rathaus. The one at Schonbrunn is really nice too. In Cologne there is one by the Cathedral, another with three elves, I think 6. Each one has its own cup just for that market for that year. I have quite a collection, not sure what to do with them. The one in Koblenz is nice as it has a picture of the fountain of the boy spitting. We wanted to go to the one in Rudesheim, but missed it due to water levels, it is suppossed to be international. Basel was setting them up, and so was Strasbourg. Please note, there are none in Holland.

I found this site to be very helpful: http://www.germanyatchristmas.com

owner Joy Anderson covers a lot of your questions in great detail, and she is very quick to respond with further questions you have if you email her through her website. I've learned a lot from the site, and she also has a new ebook out re German Christmas Markets for KindleFire. Having just received my Kindlefire that I purchased for our Christmas Market Cruise, I plan to check it out.

I'll post my personal impressions of the various markets along the Danube after our cruise, but we are booked Dec 17-27, so not of much value to anyone visiting the markets right now.

Which itinerary?

We enjoyed the markets in Regensburg for quality. Also Wurzburg for ambiance. We don't really shop, we just take in all the entertainment, food and decorations.

Berlin is our favorite of all, followed by Salzburg and the markets in the smaller villages in the area.

We did not care for Nuremberg.

Munich also has great markets.

Of the two we visited, the one in the courtyard in front of Schronnbon Palace in Vienna, even though quite small, impressed me very much.

The one at Budapest, although much larger, strikes me as low quality and high prices.

We were not on a Christmas Markets cruise per say but were fortunate to catch a few that opened early while on our recent cruise. The Markets in front of Schonnbronn Palace was just getting ready to open the day we were there and technically not be selling however I was lucky and got one booth to allow me a small purchase. Salzburg's were open and very, very nice as were the markets in the Old Town Square of Prague. We too, like Caviargirl don't do alot of shopping but enjoy the browsing, festive atmosphere, food and drinks. Walking around at night is the best and the Markets in Prague Old Town Square at night were spectacular!!:)

Nuremberg is a must as it´s the oldest one.

Munich has a lot of very nice markets and I´m getting my share each year. My favorite market is the Schwabinger Weihnachtsmarkt. The main market at Marienplatz and surroundings is a great place for buying wooden nativity scene figures. Another nice one is at the Chinese Tower. But almost every part of the city has it´s own market. You won´t have any problems visiting a different market each day.

I´ve been to Salzburg on Saturday and the whole city is sort of a Christmas town. They even offer a special city map for Advent. We saw a Krampus run on Saturday evening which was fun too.

I´m off for my short cruise by next week to explore Passau, Regensburg, Kelheim and Nuremberg. Regensburg has four different markets. Not sure if I´m making it to all of them :D!

steamboats

Steamboats, I didn't think Regensburg was big enough to have four!

Carolyn

Nuremberg is a must as it´s the oldest one.

Munich has a lot of very nice markets and I´m getting my share each year. My favorite market is the Schwabinger Weihnachtsmarkt. The main market at Marienplatz and surroundings is a great place for buying wooden nativity scene figures. Another nice one is at the Chinese Tower. But almost every part of the city has it´s own market. You won´t have any problems visiting a different market each day.

I´ve been to Salzburg on Saturday and the whole city is sort of a Christmas town. They even offer a special city map for Advent. We saw a Krampus run on Saturday evening which was fun too.

I´m off for my short cruise by next week to explore Passau, Regensburg, Kelheim and Nuremberg. Regensburg has four different markets. Not sure if I´m making it to all of them :D!

steamboats

I just returned from the Danube Christmas markets tour aboard Amalegro.

Not sure if Regensburg has 4 markets but they definitely have 3. The best one there was the market at the Thurn & Taxi Palace grounds. It was the only one we visited that had an admission charge but AMA Waterways paid the fee (I think $5 euros). Beautiful setting and many artisans demostrating their craft.

I also enjoyed the markets at Passau, Linz and Vienna (both Maria Theresa & the Rathaus) as well as the Budapest market. Nuremburg was my least favorite as it was so crowded and expensive too.

Passau & Regensburg had the biggest selection of unique items especially smokers. I personally thought the "prune people" at the Nuremburg market were tacky, couldn't understand all the attention they get.

Collected at least 7 different Gluhwein mugs, different for each and every market. The most delicious choices were also at the Thurn & Taxi market. Budapest was the only market that served the Gluhwein in paper cups.

Wherever you visit, they are all a lot of fun.

Regards,

Susan

We enjoyed the market in Strasbourg last year.

We also enjoyed wandering around the "old town" (Le Petite France) while we were there. There is a Christmas store there, and it carries a good selection of straw ornaments at a reasonable price.

On our cruise, we had a woman come in to speak about Christmas traditions in Germany. She commented on the straw ornaments - and brought some older ones that she has owned for a number of years. I was interested in the straw garlands - and asked about them. The only place that I found that carried them (and, I checked all of the stalls selling straw ornaments at the markets...) was in this shop in Strasbourg.

Fran

Steamboats, I didn't think Regensburg was big enough to have four!

Carolyn,

Yes, they do have four markets :D. Here´s a link to the official website of the Regensburg tourist office. The one at the Thurn and Taxis castle is 5 Euros (6 Euros on weekends).

steamboats

Carolyn,

Yes, they do have four markets :D. Here´s a link to the official website of the Regensburg tourist office. The one at the Thurn and Taxis castle is 5 Euros (6 Euros on weekends).

steamboats

We were at the Thurn and Taxis Christmas Market last year. It was cold and snowing when we were there. It was a beautiful setting.

We did the Prague to Budapest on the Danube. We had snow almost everyday and it was cold but we loved it. I really liked the Market in Budapest. They had unusual foods and local handicrafts. Of course, I would have to say I loved all the markets and the gluhwein, too. Tastes really good on a cold day/night!

Karen

• 2 weeks later...

We live in the area, and did Nürnberg and Prague 2 weeks ago. Nürnberg is the most famous one in Germany, but because of its reputation it is the most crowded one too. We could hardly move, you were just pushed around by the crowds like sardines in a tin and could get nowhere near the stalls. We loved the markets in Prague, there are several ones in the city centre. The stalls are more spread out, so you do not get this "crowded feel", and there seemed to be lots of handicrafts.

We live in the area, and did Nürnberg and Prague 2 weeks ago. Nürnberg is the most famous one in Germany, but because of its reputation it is the most crowded one too. We could hardly move, you were just pushed around by the crowds like sardines in a tin and could get nowhere near the stalls. We loved the markets in Prague, there are several ones in the city centre. The stalls are more spread out, so you do not get this "crowded feel", and there seemed to be lots of handicrafts.

That was our experience both visits to Nuremberg. It was like salmon swimming upstream and was the least favorite of the markets we visited (in 6 trips over 10 years).

We are headed for Prague next weekend and can't wait to explore the city.

Carolyn, just returned on Sunday from our Budapest-Prague trip. Thought the markets in Salzberg had the most unusual offerings. We got a ceramic mug in Budapest at one of the 4 markets there. We also went early and stayed at the Marriott Mellium Court Apartments--shared a 2 bedroom with friends. We had a lot of rain and couldn't complain because it brought the river levels up. Vienna has at least 4 markets. The best items are at the Karlplatz market--really beautiful handmade items. Melk's market is only open on Sat. Linz has 2 markets. The one down by the river is really lovely at night with all the lights. It was raining very hard when we got to Passau after our long day in Salzberg, so DH's hip said no to the uphill climb. Just loved Regensburg--no matter what time of year. The four of us did Prague on our own, having already seen the sights. We found 4 markets--the treasure there are the handblown, handpainted ornaments. This was the market with the foam cups. Nurnberg was much more crowded than 3 years ago. We were there on 8Dec, a national holiday in Italy---MANY Italians. These are the best brats, 3 small in a bun. Yes better than Regensberg.

There years ago, we went Nurnberg-Cologne. Cologne has 7 markets we got to 5 of them. We have used the metros and U Bahn in many of the cities. Most have a choice of languages on the ticket machine. Let us know what cities and we will all chime in with thought about the various markets. Enjoy--hope you have some snow. Pat

Last year we did an extensive trip for the Markets. Our order of preference:

1) Frankurt (surprised the heck out of us, but it was the least touristy of all and felt most authentic)

2) Munich's two largest markets (already spoken of)

3) Salzburg (already spoken of)

4) Mainz (great, great beverages)

5) Munich's medieval market (it was a neat thing, just didn't appeal to our interests

6) Nuremberg (rudest vendors BY FAR of any market we visited)

7) Weisbaden (very bland)

I am in Germany at the moment visiting the christmas markets - I started in Dresden where the best market was definitely the one in front of the Frauenkirche - then Leipzig, Munich and yesterday Salzburg. So far the markets in Salzberg have impressed me the most - really beautiful items and much less emphasis on sausages and wine. I bought some gorgeous handmade angels at the market in front of the cathedral, and some beautiful hand painted wooden ornaments from the market at Hellbrun palace. In comparison, the ornaments in the German markets I have been to were mass produced dross. Tonight we head to Nuremburg and will visit Regensburg and Rothenberg before joining the cruise on christmas day.

It's cold and snowy and I'm loving it!

I am in Germany at the moment visiting the christmas markets - I started in Dresden where the best market was definitely the one in front of the Frauenkirche - then Leipzig, Munich and yesterday Salzburg. So far the markets in Salzberg have impressed me the most - really beautiful items and much less emphasis on sausages and wine. I bought some gorgeous handmade angels at the market in front of the cathedral, and some beautiful hand painted wooden ornaments from the market at Hellbrun palace. In comparison, the ornaments in the German markets I have been to were mass produced dross. Tonight we head to Nuremburg and will visit Regensburg and Rothenberg before joining the cruise on christmas day.

It's cold and snowy and I'm loving it!

Hi trinitygirl

So glad you are having fun. I have some questions for you if you don't mind. How long have you been there and are you doing all this on your own ie train hotels? and what cruise company are you using?

Thanks a lot

Janet

Just back from Rhine River markets cruise and (loved it) one surprise -- every gluhwein stand I went to, from a pre-cruise trip to Munich to the Rhine ports in Germany, France and Switzerland, was serving in cups, obviously well-used, from previous years. In fact they all gave you two euro back when you returned the cup :)

Carolyn

I just returned from the Danube Christmas markets tour aboard Amalegro.

Not sure if Regensburg has 4 markets but they definitely have 3. The best one there was the market at the Thurn & Taxi Palace grounds. It was the only one we visited that had an admission charge but AMA Waterways paid the fee (I think $5 euros). Beautiful setting and many artisans demostrating their craft.

I also enjoyed the markets at Passau, Linz and Vienna (both Maria Theresa & the Rathaus) as well as the Budapest market. Nuremburg was my least favorite as it was so crowded and expensive too.

Passau & Regensburg had the biggest selection of unique items especially smokers. I personally thought the "prune people" at the Nuremburg market were tacky, couldn't understand all the attention they get.

Collected at least 7 different Gluhwein mugs, different for each and every market. The most delicious choices were also at the Thurn & Taxi market. Budapest was the only market that served the Gluhwein in paper cups.

Wherever you visit, they are all a lot of fun.

Regards,

Susan

Fabulous, Pat, thanks!

Carolyn

Carolyn, just returned on Sunday from our Budapest-Prague trip. Thought the markets in Salzberg had the most unusual offerings. We got a ceramic mug in Budapest at one of the 4 markets there. We also went early and stayed at the Marriott Mellium Court Apartments--shared a 2 bedroom with friends. We had a lot of rain and couldn't complain because it brought the river levels up. Vienna has at least 4 markets. The best items are at the Karlplatz market--really beautiful handmade items. Melk's market is only open on Sat. Linz has 2 markets. The one down by the river is really lovely at night with all the lights. It was raining very hard when we got to Passau after our long day in Salzberg, so DH's hip said no to the uphill climb. Just loved Regensburg--no matter what time of year. The four of us did Prague on our own, having already seen the sights. We found 4 markets--the treasure there are the handblown, handpainted ornaments. This was the market with the foam cups. Nurnberg was much more crowded than 3 years ago. We were there on 8Dec, a national holiday in Italy---MANY Italians. These are the best brats, 3 small in a bun. Yes better than Regensberg.

There years ago, we went Nurnberg-Cologne. Cologne has 7 markets we got to 5 of them. We have used the metros and U Bahn in many of the cities. Most have a choice of languages on the ticket machine. Let us know what cities and we will all chime in with thought about the various markets. Enjoy--hope you have some snow. Pat

Just back from our Rhine River cruise on Uniworld's Antoinette. No problem with river levels -- it rained ALL THE TIME, laughing, and only on the last day was there the slightest dusting of snow (that was in Basel). I started off with three days in Munich, marvelous, liked the Residenz market best (in the city palace). Great food -- cozy ambience. Also liked the Brienner market (hope spelling is correct), very crafty, one stall had hand-made armor. High end.

On to the ports:

*Cologne: Only had time for one market, the medieval market at the foot of the Lindt chocolate museum. Oh my, market was okay, but the museum was fantastic and it's shop -- WOW. Got more Christmas gifts there than at any market on the trip.

*Koblenz: It rained so hard that a lot of the stalls didn't open, so dismal.

*Rudesheim. Not sure I get the international thing (though I did stumble onto this amazing booth that was Finnish -- as is my hubby -- and it had authentic stuff). I bought a beautiful music box at a store off the Drosselgasse (spelling), but it was a shop that's open all times of the year. Otherwise, I think Rudesheim might be nicer in summer.

*Mainz. We stopped here for a short visit and so my expectations were pretty low but OMG I adored this market. It was such a local market, great ambience, families out for the day, friends, didn't feel touristic. It was huge and sprawling and I found lots of stuff that tempted me, from Dresden stollen to gorgeous simple ornaments (which alas, ended up coming from Bali, but oh well).

*Heidelberg. We didn't dock in the city but bused there. Eh. The river is nice, the market was sort of boring, the only one I felt that way about on the entire trip.

*Strasbourg. MARVELOUS! I'd heard in Mainz, when Uniworld brought a Christmas lecturer onboard, that there was this booth in Strasbourg where the artist made small trees using Swarovski crystals and I found her, and her work was marvelous and special and memorable. I bought two small trees and a gorgeous ornament. Also -- great food. And lovely restaurants all around. Huge hit.

*Basel. This one was more like a crafts fair. Very nice booths with lots of handmade stuff but it could have been June for all it felt like Christmas. Expensive as well (loved one booth with handmade scarves that were gorgeous but just bizarrely priced). Not a good food scene.... This was the first city that I saw that had a good kids' market (in a different spot), nicely done.

Carolyn

I returned from a Danube Christmas market river cruise this month, and I really enjoyed the Thurn and Taxis market at Regensburg. Beautiful palace tour and the courtyard and grounds were glowing with lights and sitting around the wood-burning embers with a cup of gluhwein was a highlight. It was much more festive than the one in the town center. The Schonbrunn palace in Vienna had a lovely setting, too, and so much space that a crowd was not noticeable around the market. I loved looking for beautiful or unique ornaments to adorn my tree. I like the markets at dark when the lights are bright and festive. Nuremberg was nice, big, and crowded, and it was nice to wander the street across the canal. The gingerbread was a must-have. Passau was the smallest market, probably, but the setting in front of the cathedral where we were lucky to hear a wednesday noon concert of the organ pipes was impressive and a wooden hand-cut ornament of the cathedral was a souvenir. Budapest market was my first and, therefore, a first impression and it was set under beautiful lights with entertainment. The marzipans in all flavors were fantastic and beautifully displayed. I came home with a memory from each place and each Christmas will remember this special time as I decorate my tree.

Archived