Flights

Notion_of_the_Ocean

First, we need info. From where? When, exactly? Assume to Honolulu.

Second, July is peak season. Well, most of the year is peak in Hawaii, but July is not off season.

The most knowledgeable air fare people are on the Cruise Air board. They will tell you the lowest fares come out a week or two after the seats are released. You are past that time frame, so if you are seeing a steady pricing, then it is probably pretty firm.

In summary, hard to give any hard info without some basic info.

We are planning a Pride of America cruise in July. I wanted to post on here to see what everyone has to say about booking flights to Hawaii. Prices have not budged from the $1200s. Is this a good price or will the prices go down?

We will be on POA in late April I have been watching airfares since about September and they were about 1100 regularly. I signed up with Kayak and they sent me a notice when fares dropped and I also checked on a regular basis. About 2 weeks ago I came across a fare of $850 with United when I was checking, I was hoping for Delta so I decided to wait. Then next day I went back to book them and the fare was back up to $1100:( decided to check daily and about a week later the $850 showed up, I signed up for their credit card and got additional $50 off the total and with the card you get your first bag free. I recently checked and see the fare is still in the $1100 range. This fare is from Detroit to Honolulu with one stop each way.

I have been looking online for flights since July for the POA cruise on the 4th of April 2015 out of Atlanta. The flights on Delta have been steady at $1,200 one stop. I signed up with Travelocity fare watcher and they have emailed me a few times in the last month saying the fares have dropped. I finally booked with United for $631 per person roundtrip with one stop. I did have to add a day before and one after to get this price but it saved me over $3,000 for 5 of us.

Edited by bosnatis

That fare seems awfully high to me. We booked through Hawaiian Airlines and flew nonstop from Pheonix for $480 pp roundtrip. We signed up with Trip Advisor for fare watch and never found a cheaper flight.

It all depends on the starting point and time of year. Throwing out "Phoenix for $480" is irrelevant if the OP is starting from Buffalo…

For the OP: Go to itasoftware website. Put in your data and it will spit out a lot of options. You can't buy directly from them, but they are the software engine that most online sites use. You can get the exact coding for those flights and take it to a TA or call and get it done. But, you have to decide when to buy and then DON'T CHECK AGAIN… it'll drive you batty;)

It all depends on the starting point and time of year. Throwing out "Phoenix for $480" is irrelevant if the OP is starting from Buffalo…

For the OP: Go to itasoftware website. Put in your data and it will spit out a lot of options. You can't buy directly from them, but they are the software engine that most online sites use. You can get the exact coding for those flights and take it to a TA or call and get it done. But, you have to decide when to buy and then DON'T CHECK AGAIN… it'll drive you batty;)

I agree, but the OP asked if the $1,200 was a good price, and it is far from it. When I started looking, the prices were equally as high. I don't know how long the OP has been looking at prices, but if only a short time, I would not book at $1,200 before fully investigating.

As bosnatis relates, their experience was similar to mine in that they were able to finally book $631 pp vs $1,200 and saved themselves $3,000. She should sign up for a fare watch site as suggested.

That fare seems awfully high to me. We booked through Hawaiian Airlines and flew nonstop from Pheonix for $480 pp roundtrip. We signed up with Trip Advisor for fare watch and never found a cheaper flight.

We have reservations for August 2015; R/T (coach) from Phoenix to Honolulu were $536.60 pp. I booked them in October.

Our prior trip, this past September, the same flight ran $440 pp... same flight, same seats.

Edited by azappraiser

Until the OP provides us with firmer info, any more random experiences with airfares isn't really doing the OP any good.

The OP leaves in Ohio, it appears, so PHX airfare is pretty meaningless.

Since the OP actually questioned whether or not the cost for flights is likely to go down, I believe my response was far from meaningless. The replies from "punkincc" and myself merely provide some perspective into airfare rates from the same point of departure.

• 2 weeks later...

I am also traveling in July from Houston. R/T is running about $1100 economy and $2100 first class.

It has not budged. I am going to wait until Jan/Feb (or if I see it start to climb) to book I think.

Alaska Airlines WILL give you a travel voucher for future travel if their prices go down.