India - tour

little britain

• 2 weeks later...

Have I got a tip for you. Try Amber Tours India. We did two weeks with tem all over India and they did a GREAT job. Basically tell them what you want to do and they'll do a custom tour for you. Their prices were extremely reasonable, comparable to what we were quoted for one of the big bus packages. It'll be private. Their drivers and guides will go out of their way to accommodate you. Ours would saw we were interested in photographing people and would pull over every time he saw a colorful character.

Google them and email them with what you want to do. I think we dealt with Shanti.

Have I got a tip for you. Try Amber Tours India. We did two weeks with tem all over India and they did a GREAT job. Basically tell them what you want to do and they'll do a custom tour for you. Their prices were extremely reasonable, comparable to what we were quoted for one of the big bus packages. It'll be private. Their drivers and guides will go out of their way to accommodate you. Ours would saw we were interested in photographing people and would pull over every time he saw a colorful character.

Google them and email them with what you want to do. I think we dealt with Shanti.

Hi, looking to do what you guys did, but the quotes are crazy. If you don't mind, i would like to ask you more questions about this trip.

ron and stan at (g) male . com

Unless you're very insecure or adverse to doing a little booking for yourself, you could easily do your itinerary independently. English is widely spoken, the infrastructure's good, and you're on the Major Tourist Path. Only thing I can warn you, from five months of traveling through India, is to expect that things can go awry, and five days even if you're just going to Jaipur and Agra, is not very long.

Edited by shepp

• 2 weeks later...
We end our cruise in Mumbai and would like to take a tour to Agra, Jaipur etc for around 5 days - has anyone done this and has recommendations please?

I hope you'll have a day or two in Mumbai to explore before heading off... Just curious if you have gotten your return flight home? If so, where are you flying from?

Delhi-Agra-Jaipur are the well-worn Golden Triangle cities. It is very easy to do this on your own. From Mumbai, I'd fly to Jaipur (check Indigo, Jet Lite/Jet Airways, GoAir - Air India is not so good and avoid SpiceJet, which is having financial difficulties). Once in Jaipur you can hire a car from your hotel to take you around to the sights (or check into a company such as http://www.jaipurmagic.com).

Your hotel can also arrange a car to take you onto Agra. Be sure to make a stop at Fatephur Sikri on the way. Once in Agra, enjoy the Taj Mahal and Agra Fort. You can get government guides at both at the entrance - no need to pre-hire a guide. If you haven't booked your flights, it would be easy to take the train (if you don't have too much luggage) or hire a car to take you from Agra to Delhi to catch a flight home. Otherwise, you'll have to get a car to Delhi or back to Jaipur to catch a flight to Mumbai.

Enjoy!

• 1 month later...
We end our cruise in Mumbai and would like to take a tour to Agra, Jaipur etc for around 5 days - has anyone done this and has recommendations please?

[YOUTUBE]tKymt4huh50[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]2NIZgQT12fk[/YOUTUBE]

We will be at Cochin in June (Quantum otS).

Are there any recommendations to do or tour guides?

Hi - Getting a rickshaw for the day will be the cheapest way to go but the drivers are not really guides. If you are looking for a guided tour you might want to check out Cochin Magic (http://www.cochinmagic.com/). They can arrange a tour for your timings if you want to spend extra time or at least have them drop you for a nice dinner and hop a rickshaw back to the ship.

Places to visit include Santa Cruz Basilica, Chinese Fishing Nets, Jew Town/Synagogue, and the Jewish Cemetery, St. Francis Church, Beach & Esplanade, etc.

If you like take a look at my Kochi page for further info (including restaurants) - http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/8295b/10ca18/.

Happy Cruising!