First timer to Mahogany Bay, stay at port or Little French Key?

tvlworm

Will be going to MB for the first time and debating since it is our first visit if we should enjoy the port area or take an excursion to Little French Key?

Is the free port area similar to Grand Turk as far as set up and amenities? I've seen a few posts mention that zip lining is available, where can I find the prices and options?

Last question, how to you book going to LFK? Are there multiple vendors to choose from? Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just recently returned from a cruise that stopped in Roatan, docked at Mahogany Bay -- our party consisted of four adults and it was our first time to MB also.

We chose to buy the aerial chairlift tickets to the MB beach area from the ship, and had a very nice beach day with little effort or cost. On our ship, the aerial chairlift tickets were $9.95 pp, which was a savings over the $14 pp if bought at the chairlift site. (I've read other prices depending on the cruise line, but all offer some savings if purchased from the ship).

We were the only ship at MB and lounge chairs were free and plentiful, both sun and shaded areas. There are cabanas and clamshells for an additional fee, as well as zip lining. One in our party went snorkeling and got video of some huge lobsters. There were two Fat Tuesdays bar/grills for frozen drinks and food.

The shopping area at the port is a permanent fixture with actual stores. The chairlift is in the shopping area as well. I think we were told to turn right at the pink store to the chairlift.

I hope this info helps. There was a review posted with photos on this board as well a few weeks ago, and is probably still available. Hopefully you will receive info on LFK from someone soon to help you make a decision.

Have a wonderful cruise!

We just recently returned from a cruise that stopped in Roatan, docked at Mahogany Bay -- our party consisted of four adults and it was our first time to MB also.

We chose to buy the aerial chairlift tickets to the MB beach area from the ship, and had a very nice beach day with little effort or cost. On our ship, the aerial chairlift tickets were $9.95 pp, which was a savings over the $14 pp if bought at the chairlift site. (I've read other prices depending on the cruise line, but all offer some savings if purchased from the ship).

We were the only ship at MB and lounge chairs were free and plentiful, both sun and shaded areas. There are cabanas and clamshells for an additional fee, as well as zip lining. One in our party went snorkeling and got video of some huge lobsters. There were two Fat Tuesdays bar/grills for frozen drinks and food.

The shopping area at the port is a permanent fixture with actual stores. The chairlift is in the shopping area as well. I think we were told to turn right at the pink store to the chairlift.

I hope this info helps. There was a review posted with photos on this board as well a few weeks ago, and is probably still available. Hopefully you will receive info on LFK from someone soon to help you make a decision.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Thank you, this was very helpful! I love the idea of a low cost, low effort day!

If you are looking for a relatively low cost, ala carte, type day, then MBCC will work fine for you. IMO, the aerial chair lift is a rip off. yes you get a view, but at $10-$15 for what's actually a 5 minute easy stroll is obscene. Each to his/her own though. Snorkeling can be okay closer toward the breakwater wall but the water is silty and shallow. Restaurant and bar at the beach is different from Fat Tuesday's unless that changed recently. Zip line is across from the shopping area. Takes you up to the top of the hills above the shore and you zip back down. Here's the link: http://www.clipnziproatan.com/en/index.html.

But if you wish to venture away from the port, see a little bit of the island, enjoy some good food see some animals (I think they are back) and have an opportunity to kayak and snorkel in a better environment, then LFK should work. You get there via LFK. They provide the transportation. http://www.littlefrenchkey.com/

If you are looking for a relatively low cost, ala carte, type day, then MBCC will work fine for you. IMO, the aerial chair lift is a rip off. yes you get a view, but at $10-$15 for what's actually a 5 minute easy stroll is obscene. Each to his/her own though. Snorkeling can be okay closer toward the breakwater wall but the water is silty and shallow. Restaurant and bar at the beach is different from Fat Tuesday's unless that changed recently. Zip line is across from the shopping area. Takes you up to the top of the hills above the shore and you zip back down. Here's the link: http://www.clipnziproatan.com/en/index.html.

But if you wish to venture away from the port, see a little bit of the island, enjoy some good food see some animals (I think they are back) and have an opportunity to kayak and snorkel in a better environment, then LFK should work. You get there via LFK. They provide the transportation. http://www.littlefrenchkey.com/

Thanks! I really do like what I've seen of LFK, it reminds me slightly of Mr Sanchos which is one of my favorite places! It almost looks like LFK is prettier.

Prettier than MS yes. Similar, no. Better, yes. Less crowded. The food there by the way is prepped by the kitchen at Frenchy's 44 on of the higher end restaurants on the island. Now I like divy local hole in the wall type places, but DW loved the food there.

Prettier than MS yes. Similar, no. Better, yes. Less crowded. The food there by the way is prepped by the kitchen at Frenchy's 44 on of the higher end restaurants on the island. Now I like divy local hole in the wall type places, but DW loved the food there.

Sounds and looks amazing!

Hi- If you click in my signature for Roatan, you can see my review of the beach and the zipline with prices for all ( including water toys and such).

Hope this helps.

( I will try to post the link here if it does not work, check my signature):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...1#post50700748

Thanks--your review was great! After reading it now I'm debating it is better to take advantage of the port area in MB and in Belize go to Caye Caye Caulker instead of my original plan of cave tubing.

Definitely DO NOT stay in the port area. Roatan is beautiful and has a lot to offer. Has one of the most beautiful beaches in the world too. The port area at MB is very nice and they did a great job with it and the price is right - Free.

Go to LFK. Much nicer than the port area and it is a beautiful place. They do a great job there.

And comparing Caye Caulker to LFK, Caye Caulker, nice as it is for those of us that like somewhat off the beaten or not as beaten down of a path, isn't going to come close to LFK in terms of snorkeling and beach. Go cavetubing then LFKL.:)

Definitely DO NOT stay in the port area. Roatan is beautiful and has a lot to offer. Has one of the most beautiful beaches in the world too. The port area at MB is very nice and they did a great job with it and the price is right - Free.

Go to LFK. Much nicer than the port area and it is a beautiful place. They do a great job there.

And comparing Caye Caulker to LFK, Caye Caulker, nice as it is for those of us that like somewhat off the beaten or not as beaten down of a path, isn't going to come close to LFK in terms of snorkeling and beach. Go cavetubing then LFKL.:)

For an inexpensive beach day if snorkeling is not important, the beach area at Mahogany Bay is fine. :)

Thank you all for the great advice! I've definitely ruled out Caye Caulker for Belize and debating between cave tubing or going to the ruins--one that includes a river boat ride. We did a river tubing excursion in Jamaica which sounds very similar to cave tubing so leaning towards ruins.

MB I am 99% sure not staying at the port area and now undecided between LFK or I've too since read many favorable reviews for Tabyana beach. 3 out of 4 of us really do enjoy snorkeling, my mom is not a big swimmer so trying to not have 4 beach type days in all of our ports. Both LFK and Tabyana look amazing so it's definitely a hard choice but a fun one [emoji4]

I have not been to MB for several years, but am going back this year. DH and I got to the beach early (while everyone else was heading off to excursions) and the water was very clear, he snorkeled for a while, no one was in the water and it was clear. As the day went on, and more folks got back from their day away, the water did become a little silty, but we headed further out to a man made reef and saw a lot of fish.

I enjoyed my day there, and am looking forward to going back. There is a nice wandering path that goes from the ship through the shops and down to the beach, great flowering plants along the path. You don't have to take the sky lift, only if you want to spend the money. A nice free day at the beach. I will put my money into the Belize day, as there are no close beaches by the city, and enjoy my free day.:)