Royal Carribean vs Disney for School Age Kids

LuCruise

After looking at Disney Fantasy vs Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas, we decided to go with the Allure. The difference in cost for a similar size ship and itinerary is $2000 (Disney being more). It seems like there are still tons to do for our kids on the Allure including things like pools, Flowrider, ice skating, rock climbing, carousel and things such as parades, ice shows, night and day shows, dream works experience (character dining, meet and greet, parades), 3D movies, and general cruise experience. Both offer an excellent kids club.

Things that Disney offers that RCL does not are: water slides, princess and Mickey (etc) characters, guaranteed that the night time shows are for kids, pirate theme night.

Things that RCl offers that Disney does not: interior Central Park and Boardwalk area (which DH and I will love), carousel, water park type area and current pool (from what I read), Broadway production (DD and my favorite one will be playing!), plus some of the activities mentioned above

Our kids will be almost 11 and 6.5 years.

We are booked, but convince me that we made the right decision....that the Allure is still good for our kids ages. I think the main thing giving me doubt is RCL not having a waterslide, but $2000 is a lot for a waterslide.

Edited by LuCruise

We have a 10 year old. We've done Disney ships. We just returned from back-to-back cruises on the Oasis and NCL Getaway. We did Allure and NCL Epic this past summer. All the kids in our group preferred NCL both times. Sooo much more for the 6-12 age group. Most of the kids were too small for the flow rider and zipline. The carousel was fun one or two times but they had sooo much to choose from on the Getaway. JMHO. We i'm also really enjoyed the family activities on NCL - family kickball, dodgeball, etc.

We have a 10 year old. We've done Disney ships. We just returned from back-to-back cruises on the Oasis and NCL Getaway. We did Allure and NCL Epic this past summer. All the kids in our group preferred NCL both times. Sooo much more for the 6-12 age group. Most of the kids were too small for the flow rider and zipline. The carousel was fun one or two times but they had sooo much to choose from on the Getaway. JMHO. We i'm also really enjoyed the family activities on NCL - family kickball, dodgeball, etc.

But how did your 10 year old like the Oasis (specifically the kids club, family activities and shows)?

Disney's kids club is less structured than RCI....and most kids PREFER the more organized activities....it gets everyone involved.

You did not make a mistake....everyone will have a blast!

Disney is a great product, but not $2000 greater!!!

Disney's kids club is less structured than RCI....and most kids PREFER the more organized activities....it gets everyone involved.

You did not make a mistake....everyone will have a blast!

Disney is a great product, but not $2000 greater!!!

Thank you for the reassurance. Disney is obviously geared to the kids so just want to ensure that our kids will still love this trip and not be bored. I'm actually hoping not to "drop them" in the kids club too much as it's family time away...but good to hear the club is actually preferred.

But how did your 10 year old like the Oasis (specifically the kids club, family activities and shows)?

Kids club and family activites were fun. We didn't enjoy the shows - I felt really bad for the performers in Cats. At intermission, 3/4 of the audience left. It was true to the Broadway version - just too long and not interesting enough. Not sure why they didn't try to get something more appealing - My suggestions would have been Footloose, Lion King, Wicked - to name a few. We were spoiled by NCL Epic - Legends from Las Vegas, Cirque du Soleil, Blue Man Group - all fabulous. To be fair, the entertainment on the Getaway didn't thrill us either. We did like the Illusionarium show. Everyone totally raved about "Burn the Floor", but it just didn't appeal to us.

Our view is - "If the kids are happy - the parents are happy and can enjoy themselves". Most in our group like the kids to be outside if the weather is beautiful instead of in the kids club.

I want to be clear. We have been on the Allure and Oasis and enjoyed them both. I just know for our specific likes and our daughter's age range 7-12, NCL Getaway has more to offer. The kids spent hours on the rock wall, overhead obstacle course/zipline, spider climb/slide, bungee trampoline, and waterslides. On the Oasis she did the carousel briefly. We iceskate at home, so that didn't interest her or the other kids in our group. The kids were too small for the flowrider and zipline. I will absolutely say that the Oasis is a spectacular ship "to see" - just not enough "to do" for our specific likes and age group.

Kids club and family activites were fun. We didn't enjoy the shows - I felt really bad for the performers in Cats. At intermission, 3/4 of the audience left. It was true to the Broadway version - just too long and not interesting enough. Not sure why they didn't try to get something more appealing - My suggestions would have been Footloose, Lion King, Wicked - to name a few. We were spoiled by NCL Epic - Legends from Las Vegas, Cirque du Soleil, Blue Man Group - all fabulous. To be fair, the entertainment on the Getaway didn't thrill us either. We did like the Illusionarium show. Everyone totally raved about "Burn the Floor", but it just didn't appeal to us.

Our view is - "If the kids are happy - the parents are happy and can enjoy themselves". Most in our group like the kids to be outside if the weather is beautiful instead of in the kids club.

I want to be clear. We have been on the Allure and Oasis and enjoyed them both. I just know for our specific likes and our daughter's age range 7-12, NCL Getaway has more to offer. The kids spent hours on the rock wall, overhead obstacle course/zipline, spider climb/slide, bungee trampoline, and waterslides. On the Oasis she did the carousel briefly. We iceskate at home, so that didn't interest her or the other kids in our group. The kids were too small for the flowrider and zipline. I will absolutely say that the Oasis is a spectacular ship "to see" - just not enough "to do" for our specific likes and age group.

Too bad about Cats. Can see the first 10 minutes being interesting, but then there's not much else to it. Apparently the Allure is getting Mamma Mia, which I'm so excited about...and DD will love too (maybe not DS though).

Not having a waterslide on the Allure is one thing that stands out (and I know that the Disney version ends flat as opposed to ending in a pool....so even my DD that doesn't swim, could probably go on it). And yeah, our kids aren't big enough for the zipline. My DS "can" go on the flowrider, but am reading about it and not sure I want him to. Good to hear that the kids club is good. I'm hoping between the DreamWorks stuff, pool, shows, ice skating, mini golf, etc...and even just exploring this huge ship (which looks gorgeous) they'll be occupied and having fun. The NCL Epic looks neat too (I'm checking it out just to see)

Edited by LuCruise

I think I realize why I've been so concerned of Disney vs RCL (aside from RCL missing water slide)...We recently returned from Disney World where the entire place is dedicated to the kids. So when I look at another vacation, it almost seems like if there are things that are not 100% for them, that its not a good choice. From what I've heard, the kids club is great on RCL and tons to do on the Allure...things we can do together.

While it would be nice for cruise ships to get the rights to current popular slows, it's just not going to happen. Heck you can't even get discounted tickets on Broadway for Wicked, and it's been there for over 10 years. I'm guessing even a moldy oldy like Cats costs a fortune.

Royal, Royal, Royal!!!!!! As you can tell we were not impressed with Disney. Too crowded and at times mass confusion. Save your money, if u need characters do a land trip to the parks.

Thanks....since posting we have booked The Allure. Did lots of research and it looks quite awesome. Missing a waterslide that Disney ships offer, but otherwise, they'll have so much fun. And the ship does have the DreamWorks characters, not to mention other things like ice skating, rock climbing, parades, carousel, many shows, etc. Have heard too that the kids club is great. Very good to hear that you love Royal.

We did Oasis and waiting for a good deal on Allure. disney is really expensive IMO. We did the Wonder years ago when my 18y/o was in grade school and haven't been back on it. We loved Oasis!! I have a 6y/o also and he loved it. Is Allure and Oasis not doing the characters anymore? Thought Dream Works was still on those ships?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did Oasis and waiting for a good deal on Allure. disney is really expensive IMO. We did the Wonder years ago when my 18y/o was in grade school and haven't been back on it. We loved Oasis!! I have a 6y/o also and he loved it. Is Allure and Oasis not doing the characters anymore? Thought Dream Works was still on those ships?

Yes, DreamWorks characters are still on ships like Allure and Oasis (and I think I read on some others as well). From what I've read, they are in parades, meet and greets, maybe a show, and an optional character breakfast (but you need to pay)

Yes, DreamWorks characters are still on ships like Allure and Oasis (and I think I read on some others as well). From what I've read, they are in parades, meet and greets, maybe a show, and an optional character breakfast (but you need to pay)

Ok good... Thanks

• 1 month later...

Having taken our boys on Disney and Allure, I'd say you made the right choice. Disney has some unique things, but not worth the money and very crowded. My 10yr old DS loved the flow rider. There are two, one you stand up on and one you lie down on a boogie board which is much easier for big and small alike. Enjoy your cruise.

Having taken our boys on Disney and Allure, I'd say you made the right choice. Disney has some unique things, but not worth the money and very crowded. My 10yr old DS loved the flow rider. There are two, one you stand up on and one you lie down on a boogie board which is much easier for big and small alike. Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks for sharing. I love hearing about others experiences. Great to hear too that your son had fun on the FlowRider with the boogie version. Did he enjoy the shows too? And could he try the zip line or was he too small?

We were on Disney and the pools were crazy busy. Am hoping its better on allure.