San Pedro port all day? Luggage?

Newbie here. Traveling Vancouver to San Pedro. Flying back to Vancouver.

I am unfamiliar with that area. I will have luggage. I'm trying to have two carry on pieces if possible.

If my ship arrives 8am in San Pedro what time should I be off the ship? And secondly I'm trying to,figure what to do for the day or where to go since I'll have luggage to drag around.

Thanks

Newbie here. Traveling Vancouver to San Pedro. Flying back to Vancouver.

I am unfamiliar with that area. I will have luggage. I'm trying to have two carry on pieces if possible.

If my ship arrives 8am in San Pedro what time should I be off the ship? And secondly I'm trying to,figure what to do for the day or where to go since I'll have luggage to drag around.

Thanks

You'll definable be off the ship by 9:30AM. Why not arrange to tour where the luggage stays with you.I'm assuming that you are flying from LAX. On the average you'll need to be at LAX about 3 hours before your flight.

Check with your cruise line for a tour that gets you to the airport after 2PM.

Edited by Kamloops50

If you'd be interested in touring the battleship USS Iowa it's about & 5 minute walk from the cruise ship terminal. I've read posts saying they can store luggage while touring the ship but if considering a visit you should contact them to confirm it.

The ship is the same class as the battleship USS Missouri that's moored in Pearl Harbor & is also now a museum like the USS Iowa.

http://www.pacificbattleship.com/page/visitorinformation

I don't know which cruise line you're sailing but arriving on the Crown Princess in October & April scheduled disembarkation times were as late as 1030. Although if they were ahead of schedule it could be slightly earlier.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Hmmm guess I have somethings to figure out. Thanks for the tips. I'd be interested in the battleship for sure. Let me google that for more information.

I guess I'm also trying to be cheap lol and being its my first cruise I may just want to get home when completed.

By the way I'm on NCL The Pearl or Jewel.

I guess it's probably safer to book a flight mid afternoon. No idea transit time to lax. Assuming depends on the traffic.

Thanks

Hmmm guess I have somethings to figure out. Thanks for the tips. I'd be interested in the battleship for sure. Let me google that for more information.

I guess I'm also trying to be cheap lol and being its my first cruise I may just want to get home when completed.

By the way I'm on NCL The Pearl or Jewel.

I guess it's probably safer to book a flight mid afternoon. No idea transit time to lax. Assuming depends on the traffic.

Thanks

On Princess reservations they show a suggested earliest flight time from nearby airports. I drive to the Port of LA located in San Pedro but as I recall from prior cruises the suggested time was about 1300. You could check with NCL but suggested airport arrival times can vary whether it's considered a domestic flight (arrive 2 hours in advance) or international (3 hours). As I recall our flight from LAX to YVR had a suggested arrival at the airport of only 2 hours & you could confirm it with your airline.

Allow at least 30 minutes of driving time to go from the port to LAX but it could take twice that time. A Princess shuttle to LAX is $34/pp. and a shared shuttle van service such as Super Shuttle & PrimeTime costs $17/pp. I've read that a taxi ride to LAX runs about $50 and there are other options such as Uber that are regularly suggested.

I don't know the earliest NCL disembarkation time but for Princess passengers who walkoff with their luggage depart the ship by about 0800. Adding a couple of hours maybe 1100 would be the earliest flight time I'd consider. However if your ship's arrival is delayed or immigration & customs procedures are slow that might cause further delays.

Depending upon when you depart for a LAX flight a mid afternoon flight is very doable...unless freeway congestion from an accident makes the drive even longer. Everyone has their own comfort level but I'd be comfortable with a mid afternoon flight.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Wow. Thanks for all your thoughts. I'll try for the 1:45pm flight.

Barring that a closer to 6-8 pm.

Then I'll see about visiting the aquarium and ship if time permits.

I even looked into a car rental from San Pedro but it's closed on the Sunday I arrive.

Wow. Thanks for all your thoughts. I'll try for the 1:45pm flight.

Barring that a closer to 6-8 pm.

Then I'll see about visiting the aquarium and ship if time permits.

I even looked into a car rental from San Pedro but it's closed on the Sunday I arrive.

I've read posts than rental car agencies near SP are closed on weekends.

We've enjoyed an LA to Vancouver cruise (SF, Astoria, Seattle, Victoria) and have a great first cruise but one word of caution...cruises are very addicting. :p

This shows an aerial view of the port including the 2 cruise terminals & where the Iowa is located:

http://www.magazineusa.com/images_st2/ca/la2/USS-IOWA_Map_Berth_87.jpg

This link shows scheduled cruise terminal assignments (terminal 1 in the photo is berth 93 & was used on the Love Boat series; t-2 is berth 92).

https://www.portsamerica.com/cruise/los-angeles-terminal.html

There are 2 additional piers (46 & 54) that are only used when more than 2 ships are in port.

Edited by Astro Flyer

You'll definable be off the ship by 9:30AM. Why not arrange to tour where the luggage stays with you.I'm assuming that you are flying from LAX. On the average you'll need to be at LAX about 3 hours before your flight.

Check with your cruise line for a tour that gets you to the airport after 2PM.

When boarding in Vancouver... pay attention to how long it takes to board. My Vancouver boarding was super quick... especially when there was US customs.

When I got to San Pedro on a repo cruise.... it was a nightmare to get off. A 9am walk off was delayed to something like 2pm! Those 5 customs offers where super busy with just one cruise ship!

typo..... in my earlier message I was trying to indicate there was NO American customs officers in Vancouver to do pre-screening as it was end of season. So all the customs was processed in San Pedro... creating hourly delays.

• 2 weeks later...