Puerto Madryn or Punta Arenas

runnerswife

We will be on Celebrity Infinity in December and I would like to see penguins. Question is which ship's tour is better? Puerto Madryn or Punta Arenas?

One is a lot more expensive, but that is not the question. Opinions? Thanks, Mary

We did a private tour with SouthExcursions for Punta Arenas. At Puerto Madryn we did Peninsula Valdes with Nievemar Tours That tour cost $100 pp, it was an all day tour We saw penguins at both places. We saw more wildlife on the Puerto Madryn tour.

We were told that penguins are not always there, so I would do both tours. There is not much to see just hanging around the cities.

We were on a B2B2B set of South American cruises last spring. Due to high winds the port authorities had closed Punta Arenas the day we were scheduled to call so we missed that port.

We were in Puerto Madryn twice, and during one port call we used Sentir Patagonia to do a day trip to the Valdes Peninsula where we saw penguins, among other wildlife. I think that this company also does trips to Punta Tomba.

But our best penguin viewing was actually out of Ushuaia. Due to the frequency of ships missing ports due to weather problems we had booked trips to Harberton Ranch with Pira Tours for the two port calls we had on that B2B2B series. We thought that those trips with Pira Tours were superior to our visit to Volunteer Point when in the Falklands.

We were on a B2B2B set of South American cruises last spring. Due to high winds the port authorities had closed Punta Arenas the day we were scheduled to call so we missed that port.

We were in Puerto Madryn twice, and during one port call we used Sentir Patagonia to do a day trip to the Valdes Peninsula where we saw penguins, among other wildlife. I think that this company also does trips to Punta Tomba.

But our best penguin viewing was actually out of Ushuaia. Due to the frequency of ships missing ports due to weather problems we had booked trips to Harberton Ranch with Pira Tours for the two port calls we had on that B2B2B series. We thought that those trips with Pira Tours were superior to our visit to Volunteer Point when in the Falklands.

Great to know this about Pira tours. It wasn't easy to reach them but we finally arranged to book their tour. Most people say it is their favorite tour for penguins. Did you see any kings when you were there? How many people did they take on the island at one time? Thanks for any info or tips on weather and clothing. Will be there January 11, 2016.

Great to know this about Pira tours. It wasn't easy to reach them but we finally arranged to book their tour. Most people say it is their favorite tour for penguins. Did you see any kings when you were there? How many people did they take on the island at one time? Thanks for any info or tips on weather and clothing. Will be there January 11, 2016.

While there were a few King penguins on the island when we were there several months ago they are not nesting. I think we saw four Kings both times. Given the number of nesting couples, non-nesting singles, chick mortality rates and so forth they estimate that there are about 20,000 penguins at the height of the season on that island.

Since they use an enclosed Zodiac to take folks to the island, the Zodiac itself limits how many people they take. There were definitely less than 25 folks, and most likely 18 to 20 in our group.

Both times we were there we found the island to be rather windy. I was dressed in a outdoor weight fleece jacket with a gortex rain jacket as my outer layer. I wore a wool hat and also fleece gloves, which I appreciated. Those without hats most likely were rather chilled. I also wore lightweight hiking boots, but many were wearing athletic shoes which could have been a problem had it been rainy.

Northern Aurora,

Thanks so much for the information. It is really helpful. I wonder if you could possibly email me at ptrpanpens at aol. Com if you have the time. I have a few logistical questions about the tour and you are one of the few I have found on these boards that have actually taken it.

I do not want to tie up this board with specifics but would love to speak to you via email if you have some time and don't mind.

Thanks, Anne

Pira tours fills up quickly. We could not book it, since it was full.

We did an excellent tour that included a catamaran down Beagle Channel and the National Park.

It is very difficult to reach them during their winter months when they leave for vacation. But since they have returned there hasnt been a problem and 15 people on our cruise on Infinity in January are booked. Once you get hold of them they are very efficient. This is the one tour I really wanted to take and you are correct, it is extremely limited and must be booked well in advance.

But from the reviews most people say it was their favorite SA tour so I am beyond excited to go there.

Hi everyone, My wife lived in this area all her life until she moved to Australia 10 years ago. She advises if you want to just see penguins you take the tour to Punta Tombo which is south of Puerto Madryn which also takes you to Gaiman on the return trip to visit a Welsh Tea house to enjoy after tea with taditional cakes and breads, which is unique to that part of the world.

Just remember that this part of Argentina was settled by welsh people in 1865. Tea House recommendation is Ty Gwyn. One to avoid is Ty Te Caerdydd, food not as good. This one was visited by Lady Dianna Spencer in 1995. Hope you all have a good trip visiting Patagonia. Get ready for plenty of WIND! lol

PS I have visited this area 12 times in recent years any further questions just ask.

Edited by PeterW00

We have previously taken an Antarctic cruise which included Punta Arenas, Ushuaia, and the Falklands. We have seen King, Magellanic, and Gentoo Penguins, but we would like to see Rockhopper Penguins on our upcoming Valparaiso-Buenos Aires cruise in January. I know they are present in the Falklands. Are there any other locations?

We have previously taken an Antarctic cruise which included Punta Arenas, Ushuaia, and the Falklands. We have seen King, Magellanic, and Gentoo Penguins, but we would like to see Rockhopper Penguins on our upcoming Valparaiso-Buenos Aires cruise in January. I know they are present in the Falklands. Are there any other locations?

No rockhoppers down there except for the Falklands as far as I know. I will just be thrilled to see Gentoos and Kings in Ushuaia.:D the other ports on the cruise from Valpariso-BA are magellanic only.

I have a question about the time of year to see the penguins.

we are rather late, not arriving anywhere till the beginning of March, it's the last Infinity sailing before it does the Panama Canal.

Will the penguins still be around?

The Magellanic penguins are at Punta Tombo until end march. It's the biggest colony in the continent aprox 1 million of them. I have walked up and nearly touched them, but had sense not to try. they have big beaks! The photo is my wife with a penguin.

936818377_Pinguinera-PuntaTombo.jpg.235ced9eae6be95de87b5ce8f1e0d44e.jpg

Edited by PeterW00

No rockhoppers down there except for the Falklands as far as I know. I will just be thrilled to see Gentoos and Kings in Ushuaia.:D the other ports on the cruise from Valpariso-BA are magellanic only.

Many thanks!

The Magellanic penguins are at Punta Tombo until end march. It's the biggest colony in the continent aprox 1 million of them. I have walked up and nearly touched them, but had sense not to try. they have big beaks! The photo is my wife with a penguin.

Thank you!

How did you reach Pira Tours? I keep getting an error message that I don't have the correct email client.

Thanks

Jay

If you email me at ptrpanpens at aol dot com I will give you their email that should work. I dont know if we are allowed to post it on here. It is very difficult reaching them. Another option is to call them directly and ask for Sebastian. The time difference is only 2-3 hours from here so it should be less from the east coast.

• 4 weeks later...

We are making a group to do punta tombo tour in puerto Madryn or península valdes, if you are looking for a regular group, please, let me know.

We going to be on norwegian cruise line:)

if some one want to add to tu¿he tour please wite to me and I teach you how.

estamos armando un grupo para salir de excursión a península valdes o punta tombo en puerto Madryn, estaremos en las salidas del norwegian

quienes quieran sumarse me pueden escribir asi les indico como podemos hacer.:)

• 2 weeks later...
We are making a group to do punta tombo tour in puerto Madryn or península valdes, if you are looking for a regular group, please, let me know.

estamos armando un grupo para salir de excursión a península valdes o punta tombo en puerto Madryn, estaremos en las salidas del norwegian

Hi Matias,

What date is your NCL cruise? We are booked on the December 19, 2015 cruise. What company are you booking through? Costs pp?

Thanks......................Marian

• 3 weeks later...

Question for Peter.

There are four of us who are thinking of renting a car and just visiting the Ecocenter, the Natural Science Museum, the Museo de Gemas and maybe the Punta Loma reserve if there is time. We have from approx. 9.00 to 5.00 or so. at the beginning of March

We speak Spanish and live in Uruguay. A couple of us are not good at walking far or on uneven ground. Do you think we will have any difficulties?

When does you cruise leave?

• 8 months later...
Hi everyone, My wife lived in this area all her life until she moved to Australia 10 years ago. She advises if you want to just see penguins you take the tour to Punta Tombo which is south of Puerto Madryn which also takes you to Gaiman on the return trip to visit a Welsh Tea house to enjoy after tea with taditional cakes and breads, which is unique to that part of the world.

Just remember that this part of Argentina was settled by welsh people in 1865. Tea House recommendation is Ty Gwyn. One to avoid is Ty Te Caerdydd, food not as good. This one was visited by Lady Dianna Spencer in 1995. Hope you all have a good trip visiting Patagonia. Get ready for plenty of WIND! lol

PS I have visited this area 12 times in recent years any further questions just ask.

Who offers this tour to Punta Tombo and Gaiman? We will be cruising there in early Feb, 2017. Princess has an excursion that includes both, but I'd rather book privately if possible. I wrote to one company and they said that this was impossible given the amount of time involved, but if Princess can do it, I'm assuming other companies can do it. Can anyone recommend who does this tour well?