Which Port is Best for Snorkeling?

BEFdoc

Hello fellow cruisers. Taking a cruise to Costa Maya, Belize City and Roatan. Which of these ports offers the best and most accessible snorkeling?

Thanks for all your replies.

Roatan would be first. Either go to the West End "Tabyana Beach Party & Snorkel" or better yet "Maya Key Private Island Retreat" is a 5 minute boat ride from the ship. Belize is 2nd "Barrier Reef & Snorkel Island Beach Break", haven't snorkeled in CM

Edited by Laszlo

Thanks Laszlo for the reply. We have booked for an Island tour on Roatan so, Belize Barrier Reef and Snorkel Beach Break it is. Did you book the tour with the cruise line or on line?

Thanks again for the info.

Thanks Laszlo for the reply. We have booked for an Island tour on Roatan so, Belize Barrier Reef and Snorkel Beach Break it is. Did you book the tour with the cruise line or on line?

Jumping in on this since I love snorkeling in Belize and Roatan. For Belize, I stick with Carnival excursions because of the need to tender in/out of port if you do a private excursion. There are people who do private excursions but I am a bit more concerned about missing the ship if you miss that last tender.

Jumping in on this since I love snorkeling in Belize and Roatan. For Belize, I stick with Carnival excursions because of the need to tender in/out of port if you do a private excursion. There are people who do private excursions but I am a bit more concerned about missing the ship if you miss that last tender.

Good point. I read a previous OP thread and it said that only those that book with cruise line get priority tenders. I read on the same thread that the cruise line boats are "cattle calls" as they really pack them in. Your experience?

Thanks for the info.

Good point. I read a previous OP thread and it said that only those that book with cruise line get priority tenders. I read on the same thread that the cruise line boats are "cattle calls" as they really pack them in. Your experience?

Thanks for the info.

If you go to a beach snorkel event, then you are pretty much able to do what you want. If done off a boat, you are pretty much at the whim of the people who don't snorkel for long.

Saying this, I have had good and bad off of Belize. The boats do tend to be more crowded than a private excursion, but I've had some good ones there too. The worst was a snorkel/beach excursion where the first part was a snorkel and the second was at a beach (no snorkeling). About 45 minutes of snorkel, 90 minutes of beach. Will never book like that again. The best was taking the boat to a little isle and then snorkeling from there. Had planned to do that this past December but had to cancel my cruise.

Both excursions were done thru NCL. We sailed the Sun a few weeks back and arrived around 9:30am in Roatan. Got right off the ship, walked about about a 100ft and got right onto a small boat which took us over to Maya Key, see my links for locations. Nice little beach, excellent pool and lots of animals and birds to check out. Lunch was included and was very nice. In Belize we our excursion started at Noon from the city docks. We tendered over around 10.30am, had lunch and got of the boat for snorkeling. Snorekling lasted about 45 minutes then we spent about 90 minutes at Starfish Island and were then dropped off at the ship.

Maya Cay https://www.google.com/maps/@16.3107465,-86.5376184,503m/data=!3m1!1e3

Snorkeling in Belize https://www.google.com/maps/@17.4615439,-88.0405748,605m/data=!3m1!1e3

Starfish Island https://www.google.com/maps/@17.4404007,-88.0673531,303m/data=!3m1!1e3

Slide show of our cruise here https://vimeo.com/120873438

Edited by Laszlo

If you go to a beach snorkel event, then you are pretty much able to do what you want. If done off a boat, you are pretty much at the whim of the people who don't snorkel for long.

Saying this, I have had good and bad off of Belize. The boats do tend to be more crowded than a private excursion, but I've had some good ones there too. The worst was a snorkel/beach excursion where the first part was a snorkel and the second was at a beach (no snorkeling). About 45 minutes of snorkel, 90 minutes of beach. Will never book like that again. The best was taking the boat to a little isle and then snorkeling from there. Had planned to do that this past December but had to cancel my cruise.

Sorry to hear that you cancelled your trip. Yes, the second trip sounds more to my liking. Thanks again for your information.

Both excursions were done thru NCL. We sailed the Sun a few weeks back and arrived around 9:30am in Roatan. Got right off the ship, walked about about a 100ft and got right onto a small boat which took us over to Maya Key, see my links for locations. Nice little beach, excellent pool and lots of animals and birds to check out. Lunch was included and was very nice. In Belize we our excursion started at Noon from the city docks. We tendered over around 10.30am, had lunch and got of the boat for snorkeling. Snorekling lasted about 45 minutes then we spent about 90 minutes at Starfish Island and were then dropped off at the ship.

Maya Cay https://www.google.com/maps/@16.3107465,-86.5376184,503m/data=!3m1!1e3

Snorkeling in Belize https://www.google.com/maps/@17.4615439,-88.0405748,605m/data=!3m1!1e3

Starfish Island https://www.google.com/maps/@17.4404007,-88.0673531,303m/data=!3m1!1e3

Slide show of our cruise here https://vimeo.com/120873438

Both sound interesting. I am leaning towards the Belize port as we have another tour in mind for Roatan. Thanks for the info.

Sorry to hear that you cancelled your trip. Yes, the second trip sounds more to my liking. Thanks again for your information.

thanks, have rescheduled it for May to the southern carib. And you are welcome. The beach snorkels I feel are MUCH better since you have more control over how much you can snorkel. Most I have done is off of Maya Key in Roatan, was there for about 4-5 hours, snorkeled close to 2 1/2 hours there. Was nice until to many people got into the water beyond the reef edge, then started running into people.

• 2 months later...

If anyone is interested in Maya Key, I have a full review done with TONS of pictures and it will show you what the snorkeling is like. We found it pretty awesome and the place is nice as well. My review is listed in my signature line, just click on it and scroll until you come to Maya Key.

As far as booking, the only way to do Maya Key is with the cruiseline.

In January of this year 11 of us from our Ruby roll call chartered Radical Adventures it was certainly one of the best snorkelling charters that I have been on. Great snorkelling, good guide, super owners and crew, lovely food and lots of beer and drinks. Picked us up at Mohagany Bay and brought us back by local van taxi.

http://www.svfreeradical.com

Haven't been to Costa Maya but have done both of the other ports. At Belize we normally take a boat from the pier to Cay Caulker, forty five minute ride to the island where they stop for a p break and turn in the lunch orders and let the none snorkelers off, then out to the outer reef and you normally do a half loop out over the edge of the reef and then back in again. Beautiful reef, gorgeous coral and lot's of fish.

Then back on the boat and over to the stingray and nurse shark stop, this is in about five feet of water and plenty to see. After that back to the island, lunch and then back to the port. Always a great day. I was always under the impression that this was the best snorkeling ever but I learned better.

Last time in Roatan we tried a new one, using Shore Excursion Group we booked a private excursion. Picked up down the hill from the port and went to the west end. There was seven of us on the boat plus the captain and the DM, took a boar from the beach and went about half a mile and then did two sessions, the first one we went out through trenches in the coral and then came back in.

Second stop we were put off in a circular space in the coral and allowed to go where we wanted as long as we didn't get out of sight. This was beautiful, lots of colorful coral and fish. Had about fifty minutes in the water at each stop.

Next time we get back to Roatan this will be the one I do again. DW didn't get in the water but they allowed her to stay in the resort and use the facilities, she was quite happy with her day.