Transportation Infrastructure Upgrades Planned for Horseshoe Bay

njhorseman

http://bernews.com/2015/07/new-infrastructure-horseshoe-bay-beach/

The question in my mind is whether this means that the #7 "Special" express buses to Horseshoe will drop off and pick up passengers in the parking lot rather than on South Road at the top of the hill. That would be a significant improvement.

It looks like that is what they intend by providing a bus turn around area. Last week when I took the Special Bus they did not drop us off on the other side of the street coming from the Dockyard. They drove to a turn around off the South Road just past Horseshoe and dropped us off the same side as Horseshoe Bay.

Edited by Charles4515

Here's more information on the plan:

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20150702/NEWS/150709918

So the plan is to bring the buses down and eliminate the walk up and down the hill. That is going to have a big impact on the To the Top guy whose van is pictured. We used him just over a week ago the Wednesday we used the bus. The next day on Thursday we bought a round trip minibus ticket. There were seven or eight of those parked waiting when to returned from the beach around 1:30 pm. If I were only going to and from Horseshoe I would take those. The day we did the bus I had to stand up from the Dockyard to Horseshoe on the Special bus.

So the plan is to bring the buses down and eliminate the walk up and down the hill. That is going to have a big impact on the To the Top guy whose van is pictured. We used him just over a week ago the Wednesday we used the bus. The next day on Thursday we bought a round trip minibus ticket. There were seven or eight of those parked waiting when to returned from the beach around 1:30 pm. If I were only going to and from Horseshoe I would take those. The day we did the bus I had to stand up from the Dockyard to Horseshoe on the Special bus.

I have heard conflicting information about where, how to pay for the Dockyard-Horseshoe shuttle.

Can you buy the ticket on the bus? On the ship (Breakaway)? Where else? Is it exact change?

I even heard that it's exact change, coins only. True?

ETA: Rereading quoted post. Are there two types of shuttle? What is the difference between the minibus and the special bus?

Edited by CPT Trips

I have heard conflicting information about where, how to pay for the Dockyard-Horseshoe shuttle.

Can you buy the ticket on the bus? On the ship (Breakaway)? Where else? Is it exact change?

I even heard that it's exact change, coins only. True?

ETA: Rereading quoted post. Are there two types of shuttle? What is the difference between the minibus and the special bus?

The $16 round trip shuttle tickets are purchased at Dockyard as you're about to board the shuttle. This is not part of the public bus system. It's a privately operated mini bus service with its own pricing.

The "special" bus is a public bus that operates as an express between Dockyard and Horseshoe Bay. If you want to pay cash it's $5 one way, exact change in coins only.

You can also purchase tokens good on the public buses and ferries at Dockyard for $4.50 each. Also there are one, two, and three day unlimited use transportation passes for the public bus and ferry system. The Breakaway has been selling the two day passes on board. 1, 2, and 3 day passes can all be bought at Dockyard. The prices are $19, $31.50 and $44, respectively. Multi-day passes are valid only on consecutive days from their first use, so for example a 2 day pass first used on Wednesday is valid only through Thursday. You can't use a 2 day pass on Wednesday and Friday. Tokens and transportation passes can be bought at the Visitors Information Centers at Kings Wharf, Heritage Wharf and near the ferry dock.

There are also books of transportation tickets for bus and ferry travel, but you can't buy them at Dockyard.

Edited by njhorseman

The $16 round trip shuttle tickets are purchased at Dockyard as you're about to board the shuttle. This is not part of the public bus system. It's a privately operated mini bus service with its own pricing.

The "special" bus is a public bus that operates as an express between Dockyard and Horseshoe Bay. If you want to pay cash it's $5 one way, exact change in coins only.

You can also purchase tokens good on the public buses and ferries at Dockyard for $4.50 each. Also there are one, two, and three day unlimited use transportation passes for the public bus and ferry system. The Breakaway has been selling the two day passes on board. 1, 2, and 3 day passes can all be bought at Dockyard. The prices are $19, $31.50 and $44, respectively. Multi-day passes are valid only on consecutive days from their first use, so for example a 2 day pass first used on Wednesday is valid only through Thursday. You can't use a 2 day pass on Wednesday and Friday. Tokens and transportation passes can be bought at the Visitors Information Centers at Kings Wharf, Heritage Wharf and near the ferry dock.

There are also books of transportation tickets for bus and ferry travel, but you can't buy them at Dockyard.

Thanks for that information. $32 in coin just sounded kind of outrageous and too much of a workout. $20, for the special bus is bad enough. Are one dollar coins OK?

What's the story? Does the special public bus just a drop off at the roadside and private minibus in the lower parking lot?

Thanks again.

Thanks for that information. $32 in coin just sounded kind of outrageous and too much of a workout. $20, for the special bus is bad enough. Are one dollar coins OK?

What's the story? Does the special public bus just a drop off at the roadside and private minibus in the lower parking lot?

Thanks again.

Just to clarify, in case I haven't explained it adequately...it isn't "coins only" for the shuttle. You buy the $16 round trip tickets before you get on the van...and paper currency is fine.

It is $5 one way "coins only" for the public bus if you choose to pay cash, but there isn't much sense to doing that when you can easily buy tokens at $4.50 each, and you can use paper currency to buy them.

I've never paid fare using coins...I've always bought tokens, transportation passes or ticket books, so I can't say with certainty that they'll accept $1 coins...but I have to believe they will.

The "special" bus drops on the roadside and you have to walk down the hill to get to the beach...and back up the hill when you return. There is a guy who offers van rides up the hill...at $2 per ride.

The beach shuttle takes you right down to the parking lot...no walking up and down the hill.

Just to clarify, in case I haven't explained it adequately...it isn't "coins only" for the shuttle. You buy the $16 round trip tickets before you get on the van...and paper currency is fine.

SNIP.

You were clear . . . it was me

Does anyone know how late we can stay at Horseshoe bay and still be able to catch the bus back to the dockyard?

We will be there on a Monday.

We were in Bermuda in 2012 and by the time we left the beach there were no more rides up the hill and we were told we caught the very last bus. Not sure if it was a Sunday though.

Thanks,

Nathalie

Does anyone know how late we can stay at Horseshoe bay and still be able to catch the bus back to the dockyard?

We will be there on a Monday.

We were in Bermuda in 2012 and by the time we left the beach there were no more rides up the hill and we were told we caught the very last bus. Not sure if it was a Sunday though.

Thanks,

Nathalie

The last four #7 buses from Hamilton to Dockyard on a Monday (assuming it's not a holiday Monday) depart Hamilton at 5:30 pm, 7:15 pm, 8:15 pm and 9:15 pm. They would be at Horseshoe Bay about 20 minutes after their departure from Hamilton. Here's the full bus schedule:

http://www.gov.bm/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_20064_959_235551_43/http%3B/ptpublisher.gov.bm%3B7087/publishedcontent/publish/ministry_of_tourism_and_transport/department_of_public_transportation_2014/downloads/bus_schedule_april_2015.pdf