Tips,Tips and More or less TIPS?

theldaken

This year we did the Circumnavigation of NZ and next year are booked to do the same around Australia.

We tipped the two room stewards,the two main dining room servers,with a small extra for the wine waiter.

We also left the auto tips on and will do so again

Except for requesting an extension cord[we provided our own adapters],we made no extra requests.

Given that we were provided with the services and amenities that were described and marketed with our booking,[QG5],that unless something above and beyond the implied services are requested and provided,we willnot be tipping any further.

This year we did the Circumnavigation of NZ and next year are booked to do the same around Australia.

We tipped the two room stewards,the two main dining room servers,with a small extra for the wine waiter.

Except for requesting an extension cord[we provided our own adapters],we made no extra requests.

Given that we were provided with the services and amenities that were described and marketed with our booking,[QG5],that unless something above and beyond the implied services are requested and provided,we willnot be tipping any further.

I agree. As a Brit I don't understand the general tipping culture (and don't wish to reopen a debate here!) - but to my mind, doing a job and performing a service to meet expectations does not warrant any additional gratuity. Exceeding expectations and delighting the customer might. When we travel with gratuities-included lines we don't offer an additional payment unless individuals excel; similarly with Cunard where we are content to accept the daily charge (although would prefer to see this included in the fare - another can of worms better left unopened!)

Hi theldaken,

Couldn't agree more. I do exactly as you did (in the highlighted points above). On my last crossing I gave out only one tip, for something that went beyond what I was expecting. On previous voyages I may have given out two or three.

The "autotip" saves me having to worry about what is the "correct" amount to tip. And then dashing about the ship, trying to find people, with a handful of little brown envelopes, like some later-day Lord Bountiful, on the last day.

Thank you for your post, well said :) .

Best wishes,

I agree. As a Brit I don't understand the general tipping culture (and don't wish to reopen a debate here!) - but to my mind, doing a job and performing a service to meet expectations does not warrant any additional gratuity. Exceeding expectations and delighting the customer might. When we travel with gratuities-included lines we don't offer an additional payment unless individuals excel; similarly with Cunard where we are content to accept the daily charge (although would prefer to see this included in the fare - another can of worms better left unopened!)
Hi Palmeat,

Just to say that I agree with your posts, esp the points highlighted above, thank you for posting, very well said,

Best wishes :) .

I have seen the crew practice and prepare for emergency situations. Clearly, their duties extend to more than their obvious chores of cleaning our cabins, serving our food, or keeping the ship clean. As if that wasn't enough, in an emergency, the crew and staff are trained to go to their assigned posts and assist passengers. We have all read about incidents where crew members gave their life to save passengers.

Hopefully, none of us will never be in an emergency situation on board. But my feeling is that we, as passengers, should not only appreciate their service, but also encourage the training and dedication of the staff and crew. To that end, when passengers supplement the Hotel & Dining Charge with an added cash bonus, that serves to encourage the staff to remain on the ship; it's to the good of all.

I have seen the crew practice and prepare for emergency situations. Clearly, their duties extend to more than their obvious chores of cleaning our cabins, serving our food, or keeping the ship clean. As if that wasn't enough, in an emergency, the crew and staff are trained to go to their assigned posts and assist passengers. We have all read about incidents where crew members gave their life to save passengers.

Hopefully, none of us will never be in an emergency situation on board. But my feeling is that we, as passengers, should not only appreciate their service, but also encourage the training and dedication of the staff and crew. To that end, when passengers supplement the Hotel & Dining Charge with an added cash bonus, that serves to encourage the staff to remain on the ship; it's to the good of all.

Thank you. I think some are downright stingy when it comes to the staff. We've always had excellent service & felt they deserved every bit of the extra tip.

If indeed that is the case,how does one ensure that all who may assist in time of emergency,cooks.deckhands,laundry workers,the librarian and other of that ilk,benefit from the "tip" handed out to for example:your stateroom steward?

Quite frankly your statement defies logic.

If indeed that is the case,

Logic has nothing to do with it: we as passengers can only go by what we are told by cruise lines regarding the distrubition of the auto-tip. It has more to do with good faith and service. One thing I am sure of is that if you remove the Hotel and Dining Charge, the crew/staff does not benefit. And if you don't give a cash bonus to those who take care of you, they don't benefit. Seems pretty simple to me.

Have no doubt that when the crew and staff derive little profit from their employment, they will seek employment elsewhere. Ever been on a ship where many of the staff/crew members were new - unfamiliar with the ship?

I have, and it is not comforting. Especially on a ship the size of QM2.

As to your question " how does one ensure that all who may assist in time of emergency,cooks.deckhands,laundry workers,the librarian and other of that ilk,benefit from the "tip" handed out to for example:your stateroom steward?"

my suggestion is to leave the Hotel and Dining Charge in place. My stateroom steward takes care of those who support his or her services. Stewards pay it forward. In other words, share and share alike.

If indeed that is the case,how does one ensure that all who may assist in time of emergency,cooks.deckhands,laundry workers,the librarian and other of that ilk,benefit from the "tip" handed out to for example:your stateroom steward?

I just noticed your comment "and other of that ilk"...

Down that road, I will not go. Good luck, and bon voyage.

I have always thought the auto tip covered all necessary tips unless there was service extended beyond what is normally required.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. I've found that the waiters really enhanced my enjoyment of the cruise, so they get something extra.

Upon reflection I would have to say that I did connect more with the waitstaff & head waiters in the Grills as opposed to Britannia. That's not to say that the wait staff in Britannia weren't very proficient or friendly, it's more that having the same waitstaff for breakfast, lunch & dinner - as opposed to just dinner - allows for more interacting and getting to know the crew.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. I've found that the waiters really enhanced my enjoyment of the cruise, so they get something extra.

Upon reflection I would have to say that I did connect more with the waitstaff & head waiters in the Grills as opposed to Britannia. That's not to say that the wait staff in Britannia weren't very proficient or friendly, it's more that having the same waitstaff for breakfast, lunch & dinner - as opposed to just dinner - allows for more interacting and getting to know the crew.

To me it seems that in the last two years the waiters are more rushed in Britannia. Still great service but they simply don't have the time to be social. On one particular trip I noticed the difference and I thought they were just short of help but it's been that way ever since. One evening last year we hadn't gotten our entrees by 9:55... My husband really wanted to attend the last evening trivia and I encouraged him to just leave, and he did. Our waiter became really upset with me....I don't know why because after all, I'm not the one that left but I had the feeling that he thought there were going to be complaints. :o

To me it seems that in the last two years the waiters are more rushed in Britannia. Still great service but they simply don't have the time to be social. On one particular trip I noticed the difference and I thought they were just short of help but it's been that way ever since. One evening last year we hadn't gotten our entrees by 9:55... My husband really wanted to attend the last evening trivia and I encouraged him to just leave, and he did. Our waiter became really upset with me....I don't know why because after all, I'm not the one that left but I had the feeling that he thought there were going to be complaints. :o

That is a long time, I wonder what happened that night?

Does anyone know the number of staff assigned to a section in the Britannia restaurant now, and what it was in years gone past. That would be interesting.

I have been told that it's easier work in Kings Court than Britannia. There's more money if you work in Britannia but not a whole lot more. There's also more opportunities for advancement if you work in Britannia, but I suppose it depends what your goals are.

Hence why some prefer to work Kings Court than the Britannia Restaurant. I couldn't do it (work in Kings Court that is) the idea of being permanently stationed in buffet is more than I can handle.

Apparently they have to do a certain amount of time in the Britannia restaurant before they can move to the Grills.

Does anyone know the number of staff assigned to a section in the Britannia restaurant now, and what it was in years gone past. That would be interesting.

I've wondered that as well but never knew how to ask that without making it sound like a complaint. Besides, I don't think there is anyone besides a former waiter who would give a straight answer to that. :)

Apparently they have to do a certain amount of time in the Britannia restaurant before they can move to the Grills.

It is interesting that the waiters also move out of the grills for various reasons. For example, I have had a waiter in QG move to a supervisory position in Kings' Court and another waiter in QG move to a position in the Britannia Club.

I am not sure why a waiter in QG would move to Britannia Club, unless (as I suspect) it was from junior waiter in QG to a senior waiter in Britannia Club.

It is interesting that the waiters also move out of the grills for various reasons. For example, I have had a waiter in QG move to a supervisory position in Kings' Court and another waiter in QG move to a position in the Britannia Club.

I am not sure why a waiter in QG would move to Britannia Club, unless (as I suspect) it was from junior waiter in QG to a senior waiter in Britannia Club.

It would have to be to more senior positions. Last time onboard I did bump into one the waiters from the Princess Grill who was assigned to my table in 2012, he was in some sort of supervisory position in Kings Court.

I have been told that it's easier work in Kings Court than Britannia. There's more money if you work in Britannia but not a whole lot more. There's also more opportunities for advancement if you work in Britannia, but I suppose it depends what your goals are.

Hence why some prefer to work Kings Court than the Britannia Restaurant. I couldn't do it (work in Kings Court that is) the idea of being permanently stationed in buffet is more than I can handle.

After 2 voyages in QG/PG our last trip was aboard QV. We noticed the waitstaff was more "busy" than in previous Britannia trips. I do think they've cut back on some of the staff. Early in the cruise(first 3 days)the Sommelier frequently didn't get to us until the apps arrived. It did get better as the trip progressed, but still lacked the finesse of past Britannia trips. Food was also good, but not near as good as in the past. Portions were quite small & "seconds" were not easy to come by. Service was still quite good, so I tipped accordingly. I don't hold the crew responsible for the incompetance of the "bean counters". Personally, I'd like to force the accountants to wait tables/clean staterooms for a week or 2!

After 2 voyages in QG/PG our last trip was aboard QV. We noticed the waitstaff was more "busy" than in previous Britannia trips. I do think they've cut back on some of the staff. Early in the cruise(first 3 days)the Sommelier frequently didn't get to us until the apps arrived. It did get better as the trip progressed, but still lacked the finesse of past Britannia trips. Food was also good, but not near as good as in the past. Portions were quite small & "seconds" were not easy to come by. Service was still quite good, so I tipped accordingly. I don't hold the crew responsible for the incompetance of the "bean counters". Personally, I'd like to force the accountants to wait tables/clean staterooms for a week or 2!

Well you'll be happy to know that everything was hunky dory in the Britannia Restaurant back in Feb 2013. Whilst they didn't have time to stand around and chat, the waiters and sommeliers were all friendly, fast and efficient.

When's your next trip?

Archived