Need advice, please!

cmecruise1962

I booked a cruise for my mom (75) and I when we found out she had to have some minor heart surgery. Well, minor turned major and it became "open heart" surgery and recovery has been slower than originally anticipated (but really not bad for what she went through!!) We are going to be on the Ecstasy on May 18 and I have made arrangements for assisted boarding, etc.

Well, in Key West, Mom wants to see the Hemingway House (okay, really just the cats), and eat oysters and key lime pie. I know we will be at the Mole, so we need to start on a shuttle. So, question 1 - Which is the easiest to get on and off tour? It's very important that the shuttle be easy to get off and on, because she still tires easily and I want to make it as easy as possible for her!!

I thought we would have oysters at Alonzo's because I THINK this is back where we would catch the shuttle back to the ship. Since we are only in port until 1:30 (and we can't be "pier runners"), I want to have lunch close to the ship.

Is that correct?? Can we get it done??

Thank you!:)

I thought the shuttle from Old Mole pier dropped you off at Mallory Square, where Alonzo's Oyster Bar is! If it's 5 blocks, that IS too far!! Do they have cabs? Maybe we'll just find a place to eat where the shuttle drops us off and then plan our tour based on my mom's energy level! (Which has kind of always been the plan! If she has no energy, we'll just ride the tour bus all the way around, without hopping off!) :D

I thought the shuttle from Old Mole pier dropped you off at Mallory Square, where Alonzo's Oyster Bar is! If it's 5 blocks, that IS too far!! Do they have cabs? Maybe we'll just find a place to eat where the shuttle drops us off and then plan our tour based on my mom's energy level! (Which has kind of always been the plan! If she has no energy, we'll just ride the tour bus all the way around, without hopping off!) :D

You're right about Mallory Square, but Alonzos is not at Mallory. Alonzos is at Key West Bight at the A&B Marina.

Yes, cabs are very abundant in KW. It's an easy cab ride from the Bight to the trolley station.

OP, Aquahound is the resident Key West expert, so go with whatever he says. :)

As for the trolley, I went with my parents, who are in their 70s and are somewhat limited in their mobility. They loved the Conch Train tour. If you go in the Hemingway house, there are stairs, so just keep that in mind---there aren't any if you just want to see the cats. Also, we took a cab from the Oyster House (well, the Lobster House above it) from our hotel. It's super easy.

Our shuttle from Mole was a Conch Train, and it dropped us off at its store on Duval and Front, and that's where we picked it up to go back to the ship.