Budget Friendly 17th Street Hotel FLL

lovestocruise19

I've heard that hotels on 17th Street in Fort Lauderdale are nice and close to the port. Anyone have any suggestions? I've kind of got it narrowed down to three:

Extended Stay America

Holiday Inn Express

Hilton Marina

The Hilton Marina is cheapest, but I've read some bad reviews and I don't think it has a free shuttle from airport, whereas the other two do. They are all around $200, which I didn't really want to pay, but it might be worth it for the proximity to the port. Any others I'm overlooking?

We are booked for Embassy Suites on May 1st of next year before our Oasis cruise the next day. They have a cruise special package which includes a shuttle from FLL airport to the hotel and one the next day from the hotel to the port. The cost is $197 plus taxes. That's certainly more than I usually pay for a hotel but being near the port and having transportation taken care of helped me decide to book it.

All 3 hotels are VERY close to the port. Holiday Inn and Extended Stay are a closer walk to restaurants and shopping and I think you get free shuttles and breakfast. Hilton Marina is a much nicer hotel if you want to have a pool resort day, but no freebie perks.

We are booked for Embassy Suites on May 1st of next year before our Oasis cruise the next day. They have a cruise special package which includes a shuttle from FLL airport to the hotel and one the next day from the hotel to the port. The cost is $197 plus taxes. That's certainly more than I usually pay for a hotel but being near the port and having transportation taken care of helped me decide to book it.

The OP is going the beginning of February which is peak season. Your dates are off season. What you are paying would be a steal in Feb.

I stayed at Holiday Inn Express four years ago, and it was not a great experience considering what I paid 160.00 for the night.

In November I will be staying at Extended Stay one night pre cruise, and then at Hilton Marina for one night post cruise, so I will dig up this thread on my return, and give you my impressions of both.:)

As for breakfast; the included breakfast at HIE was very good, but the seating area very small for the crowds that were there. I picked up my breakfast and took it up to my room.

Extended stay, says it has a free continental breakfast, but from what I gather, that consists of coffee, granola bar, maybe a muffin, and fruit, which is fine with me since I rarely eat breakfast.

Hilton Marina, has a breakfast buffet for a whopping 22.00 pp ( I wont be doing this). But some higher room rates include the breakfast among other things.

Edited by SMSACE6

The OP is going the beginning of February which is peak season. Your dates are off season. What you are paying would be a steal in Feb.

Yes, sorry I didn't mention that. February does seem to be an expensive time. All us Northeasterners getting away from the snow no doubt!

I stayed at Holiday Inn Express four years ago, and it was not a great experience considering what I paid 160.00 for the night.

In November I will be staying at Extended Stay one night pre cruise, and then at Hilton Marina for one night post cruise, so I will dig up this thread on my return, and give you my impressions of both.:)

As for breakfast; the included breakfast at HIE was very good, but the seating area very small for the crowds that were there. I picked up my breakfast and took it up to my room.

Extended stay, says it has a free continental breakfast, but from what I gather, that consists of coffee, granola bar, maybe a muffin, and fruit, which is fine with me since I rarely eat breakfast.

Hilton Marina, has a breakfast buffet for a whopping 22.00 pp ( I wont be doing this). But some higher room rates include the breakfast among other things.

Other than the small breakfast area, what didn't you like about HIE? That would be great if you could report back about the other two hotels!

What I did not like about the HIE,,,it is a bit of a long story, but you asked:D

It started at the airport. Called the hotel for the shuttle service from the hotel telephone kiosk. The lady, said go outside the baggage area, turn left, go to post number #, and shuttle should be there within 10 mins. I waited 20 mins, and then saw the HIE van, but it drove right by me. I now called the hotel on my cell phone, and the lady said she would contact the driver to come back. A few minutes later, he drives by again and looks right at me, and now I am waving at him, but he drives by once more. Well....now I am not pleased. Call hotel again on my cell phone..she says she will contact driver again. A few minutes later, van pulls up, driver grabs my bag, says nothing , not a good day, nothing. I still tipped him, because I am like that.

Arrive at hotel, tell checkin lady about the shuttle fiasco, she says oh that is too bad. I am a priority club member for Holiday Inn, and go up to my room, which is dark, curtains closed. I open the curtain to a view of a concrete wall about 6 feet away, no view. I might as well have been in a room without a window at all.

Next issue. I am thirsty. Go to the drink machine, and pump 1.50 into it, for a diet coke. Machine eats my money, but gives no drink. I go up one flight and do the same on the next floor, same thing happens. I go down to the the desk and they make me fill out a form, and then refund my 3.00, but now tell me that the machine on the 5th floor is working.

This experience cost me 160.00 a night once the taxes were factored in.

The positives were; clean and well equipped room. Great location. Very nice breakfast food.

Negatives were desk staff who didn't seem to care about the problems I encountered, and I seemed to get the worst room in the house given the non view, even though I arrived near checkin time, there should have been something better that a window overlooking a concrete wall. The price should have commanded a better experience, this for anyone, but for a priority club member it just made me feel like I was not a valued customer.

I would however go back there again, but when I cruise, they always seem to want a high fee, when I can get better elsewhere.

I will remember to come back and let you know how extended stay was ( it is right next door to HIE) as well as Hilton Marina. I will be back after Nov 24.

edit; I am not a negative person. I just don't lay down and take bad service, or non service lightly. To the HIE credit, they do get very good reviews on tripadvisor, so my experience may have been isolated.

Edited by SMSACE6

What I did not like about the HIE,,,it is a bit of a long story, but you asked:D

It started at the airport. Called the hotel for the shuttle service from the hotel telephone kiosk. The lady, said go outside the baggage area, turn left, go to post number #, and shuttle should be there within 10 mins. I waited 20 mins, and then saw the HIE van, but it drove right by me. I now called the hotel on my cell phone, and the lady said she would contact the driver to come back. A few minutes later, he drives by again and looks right at me, and now I am waving at him, but he drives by once more. Well....now I am not pleased. Call hotel again on my cell phone..she says she will contact driver again. A few minutes later, van pulls up, driver grabs my bag, says nothing , not a good day, nothing. I still tipped him, because I am like that.

Arrive at hotel, tell checkin lady about the shuttle fiasco, she says oh that is too bad. I am a priority club member for Holiday Inn, and go up to my room, which is dark, curtains closed. I open the curtain to a view of a concrete wall about 6 feet away, no view. I might as well have been in a room without a window at all.

Next issue. I am thirsty. Go to the drink machine, and pump 1.50 into it, for a diet coke. Machine eats my money, but gives no drink. I go up one flight and do the same on the next floor, same thing happens. I go down to the the desk and they make me fill out a form, and then refund my 3.00, but now tell me that the machine on the 5th floor is working.

This experience cost me 160.00 a night once the taxes were factored in.

The positives were; clean and well equipped room. Great location. Very nice breakfast food.

Negatives were desk staff who didn't seem to care about the problems I encountered, and I seemed to get the worst room in the house given the non view, even though I arrived near checkin time, there should have been something better that a window overlooking a concrete wall. The price should have commanded a better experience, this for anyone, but for a priority club member it just made me feel like I was not a valued customer.

I would however go back there again, but when I cruise, they always seem to want a high fee, when I can get better elsewhere.

I will remember to come back and let you know how extended stay was ( it is right next door to HIE) as well as Hilton Marina. I will be back after Nov 24.

edit; I am not a negative person. I just don't lay down and take bad service, or non service lightly. To the HIE credit, they do get very good reviews on tripadvisor, so my experience may have been isolated.

Thanks for letting me know your experience. I would be frustrated, too. I've had a bad experience with SAS shuttle service, so I totally feel your pain on that. DH and I still haven't decided which hotel to book, but I love hearing the opinions/advice of real people who have stayed at them.

I actually just booked the Rodeway Inn and Suites. It includes airport transfer, cruise port transfer, free breakfast and is connected to a restaurant. Hopefully I made the right choice!

Hopefully this isn't the one on State Road 84 [emoji15] we had a reservation here about a year or so ago. As soon as we walked in the room...we walked right back out. It was nasty.

Check out the Sleep Inn in Dania Beach. We've stayed here twice and love this hotel. The price isn't much different either

I know that some people here have had some not-so-great experiences with the Holiday Inn Express, but lately it's been getting nothing but 4 and 5 star reviews on TripAdvisor. Perhaps they've cleaned up their act? (I sure hope so, because I'm staying there for a pre-cruise night in February!)

I actually just booked the Rodeway Inn and Suites. It includes airport transfer, cruise port transfer, free breakfast and is connected to a restaurant. Hopefully I made the right choice!

I don't know anything about this hotel, but I trust Brianna aka Wrigley80's opinion. Hopefully it is with free cancellation, then you can hang on to it until and if something better comes up. I always book a cancellable rate, and sometimes you can get a lower rate somewhere more preferable closer to your travel date. Whichever the case, hope it is not too bad, and it is only for one night.

I just checked tripadvisor, recent reviews are quite good, so maybe they have renovated and improved their facility.

Edited by SMSACE6

Hopefully this isn't the one on State Road 84 [emoji15] we had a reservation here about a year or so ago. As soon as we walked in the room...we walked right back out. It was nasty.

Check out the Sleep Inn in Dania Beach. We've stayed here twice and love this hotel. The price isn't much different either

I'm sure it is the same Rodeway. I agree it is a bad motel.

Haven't checked the prices, but what about Best western on state road 84? We have stayed there a few times and it was great in a great location - very handy to fast food (Subway, wendy's etc.) a sports bar, liquor store, grocery store. We love that location - more than the 17th st. locations.

A friend of mine stayed at Rodeway this summer with her sister and they said it was fine for one night. It wouldn't be my choice, as I don't like motels, and there is nothing around there if you don't have a car, but it seems that they have made recent improvements.

Edited by royalcruz

Shuttle service can be a minus, not a plus as mentioned earlier. From the airport a ride to the 17th st. hotels is at most $15. I wouldn't stand around waiting if you are an impatient person. Just grab a cab and be at the hotel in 10 min.

The port is even closer.