Conversation Etiquette in Britannia Dining Room - QM2

charliedalrymple

First time cruiser here, booked on the QM2 TA Westbound on May 25, 2013 (can't wait!).

We selected a table for eight because we look forward to meeting new people on the ship. We thought eight gave us a good chance of finding at least one or two other couples we would enjoy speaking with.

What is the protocol for the first dinner of the cruise? That probably sounds like a really dumb question to you seasoned cruisers, but I honestly don't know. Do you just let conversation flow naturally, or do we all sort of introduce ourselves? What are the basic facts we should let everyone know right off the bat so they have an idea who we are?

Also, does everyone stay in the same seats every night? It might be nice to change seats to have the chance to chat with everyone at some point during the trip.

I know, I'm probably over-thinking this and you're all going to tell me to just relax and be myself--but I want to get this right the first time! :o

Try very hard to remember all the names and faces, not easy for me but some are very good at it. An eight table can be difficult as it can easily divide into two fours, because in many cases the difficulty of communication with the far reaches. If you get to the table first next evening just move round, seats are not booked!!

Usually after name swaps comes "where do you come from" and "did you have a good journey" and possibly questions from first timers.

Soon after this you should start to get an idea of the sort of table it will be. Every one is different and if you get one with pleasant people who have good, interesting conversation, without any single person dominating, you will be fine.

David.

First time cruiser here, booked on the QM2 TA Westbound on May 25, 2013 (can't wait!).

We selected a table for eight because we look forward to meeting new people on the ship. We thought eight gave us a good chance of finding at least one or two other couples we would enjoy speaking with.

What is the protocol for the first dinner of the cruise? That probably sounds like a really dumb question to you seasoned cruisers, but I honestly don't know. Do you just let conversation flow naturally, or do we all sort of introduce ourselves? What are the basic facts we should let everyone know right off the bat so they have an idea who we are?

Also, does everyone stay in the same seats every night? It might be nice to change seats to have the chance to chat with everyone at some point during the trip.

I know, I'm probably over-thinking this and you're all going to tell me to just relax and be myself--but I want to get this right the first time! :o

Generally avoid discussions pertaining to Religion/politics/personal wealth(or lack of!)Yes there is no reason you can't "move" around the table. It's best to get there pretty early to do that. You may find that you'll "gravitate" to a person/couple who seems more like yourselves.

Should you find some of the fellow pax unbearable(yes, it happens)just see the Maitre D after the dinner & he'll be able to move you to another table. We generally do a table for 2. Being a gay couple, we don't wish to make others at the table uncomfortable. We find this works best for us.

Should you find some of the fellow pax unbearable(yes, it happens)just see the Maitre D after the dinner & he'll be able to move you to another table. We generally do a table for 2. Being a gay couple, we don't wish to make others at the table uncomfortable. We find this works best for us.

How sad that in the 21st century you should be made to feel this way. I hope in the future you feel more welcomed and comfortable.

PARTIAL QUOTE

...Just introduce yourself and your partner and then go with the flow... :)

Good advice, except that I don't understand the advice that one introduce "yourself and your partner". I introduce myself, and my husband introduces himself. Can't imagine why someone would have to introduce their partner(exception being someone who was unable to speak, or a formal Diplomatic dinner). :confused:

I am sorry you have been made to feel uncomfortable at table. i must say I have never felt in the least uncomfortable with a gay couple, indeed we have some gay friends that are very good company indeed and I'd hate to think they avoided company for fear of upsetting others.

Hi Keith. After several voyages sitting at a table for six, my husband and I also find a table for two works best for us. Gay or straight, liberal or conservative,religious or not so much...at least we get to spend a nice meal in peace and quiet with our loved one at a table for two. Different strokes for different folks, and it is simply a question of what works best for us at any given time. Cheers, -S.

Hi all. Thanks for the advice--very reassuring!

We also happen to be a gay couple, and I'm not at all hesitant about sitting at a large table. Some of our best friends are straight ;), and we've had wonderful travel experiences meeting people of all ages, backgrounds, etc. I like to think that the majority of people on the QM2 are a bit more worldy and open-minded than the average person who has never left his or her own country.

Salacia, as luck would have it, I actually AM a career diplomat (American)! That is perhaps why I worry more than some people about the protocol aspects of seating, conversation, etc. :)

Thanks again. I can't tell you how much we are looking forward to our first ever cruise ship experience!

Hi all. Thanks for the advice--very reassuring!

We also happen to be a gay couple, and I'm not at all hesitant about sitting at a large table. Some of our best friends are straight ;), and we've had wonderful travel experiences meeting people of all ages, backgrounds, etc. I like to think that the majority of people on the QM2 are a bit more worldy and open-minded than the average person who has never left his or her own country.

Salacia, as luck would have it, I actually AM a career diplomat (American)! That is perhaps why I worry more than some people about the protocol aspects of seating, conversation, etc. :)

Thanks again. I can't tell you how much we are looking forward to our first ever cruise ship experience!

:)Please don't worry, you are not on a diplomatic mission (I hope)...you are on holiday. Have a wonderful time. Season's Greetings -S.

Being a gay couple, we don't wish to make others at the table uncomfortable. We find this works best for us.

How sad - why do you do that to yourself? I have often found very nice people amongst them and enjoyed their presence.

Courage!

I find Cunard to be very good at making up compatible dining tables.

I'll be interested if Charlie & his partner are put to a table of couples or a table of singles. I usually travel solo but I did one trip with a female friend. She is a "Mrs." and a completely different name to me but, as we were sharing a cabin, the Cunard system assumed we were a couple and put us at a table with another 3 couples. It wasn't a problem for us.

However, on my last Cunard cruise, two people joined the table a couple of nights in. They were male and female friends travelling together. I didn't think at the time but am now wondering if the system had identified them as a couple and placed them with other couples when they actually wanted to be at a large solos table like mine.

I wonder if Cunard's system will recognise 2 males might be a couple or assume they are two solo friends travelling together? I suppose they should be able to do it from the bed configuration but not all couples (of whatever orientation) sleep together, do they?

I find Cunard to be very good at making up compatible dining tables.

I'll be interested if Charlie & his partner are put to a table of couples or a table of singles. I usually travel solo but I did one trip with a female friend. She is a "Mrs." and a completely different name to me but, as we were sharing a cabin, the Cunard system assumed we were a couple and put us at a table with another 3 couples. It wasn't a problem for us.

However, on my last Cunard cruise, two people joined the table a couple of nights in. They were male and female friends travelling together. I didn't think at the time but am now wondering if the system had identified them as a couple and placed them with other couples when they actually wanted to be at a large solos table like mine.

I wonder if Cunard's system will recognise 2 males might be a couple or assume they are two solo friends travelling together? I suppose they should be able to do it from the bed configuration but not all couples (of whatever orientation) sleep together, do they?

I would like to believe you are over thinking this whole issue and what next... colour of hair, tall, or short, fat or thin?

I would like to think we are all different and all might have something to offer when it comes to small talk.

Relax, chill out and if you just feel like listening, then just listen. I am sure you will do just fine and if you pass wind, act innocent and blame the person next to you (just joking)

Hi all. Thanks for the advice... I can't tell you how much we are looking forward to our first ever cruise ship experience!

We always request a table for 8 and the result is that we now have friends all over the world. We visited some and by tomorrow morning 4 friends from England will visit us for "Christmas in Vienna", isn't that great? That's cruising on Cunard, you'll love it!

Well no, but I don't think Cunard would go to the extent of looking at the sleeping habits of passengers, nor would they be likely to look at sexual orientation when filling dining tables. We have had some very interesting companions including a gay male couple who were great fun.

David.

When I enquired as to how they allocate passengers to tables I was told that:

1. It's done via computer - as in they enter the passenger details and the computer assigns the tables.
  2. The only preference given is to those passengers who booked first and paid the most. "They get what they want" is exactly how it was put.

In addition to all the valid and useful advice posted herein, my admonition to myself and others with whom I dine when I am at a large table is to avoid discussion of politics, religion and the QE2.:rolleyes:

Relax, be yourselves, do not be intimated by all the hype, and enjoy all this great ship has to offer - you'll have a great time!

Happy Sailing!

We always request a table for 8 and the result is that we now have friends all over the world. We visited some and by tomorrow morning 4 friends from England will visit us for "Christmas in Vienna", isn't that great? That's cruising on Cunard, you'll love it!

yes -- we are "table for 8" people as well. Being retired, my wife and I are in one another's company 24/7:rolleyes: You can only have just so much of a good thing!!! :D - it's a bit like eating icecream!!

Barry

When I enquired as to how they allocate passengers to tables I was told that:

1. It's done via computer - as in they enter the passenger details and the computer assigns the tables.
  2. The only preference given is to those passengers who booked first and paid the most. "They get what they want" is exactly how it was put.

Yes, that makes sense. Except that after the computer works it's magic, some passengers check out their table location immediately upon boarding (prior to meeting their tablemates), and ask for a different table in a location they perceive as being "better". Ergo, sometimes there is no rhyme or reason as to why tablemates wind up on certain table, except that best effort is made to accomodate requests made after boarding.

Edited to add: this is based on the MDR, having no experience with "The Grills"

Yes, that makes sense. Except that after the computer works it's magic, some passengers check out their table location immediately upon boarding (prior to meeting their tablemates), and ask for a different table in a location they perceive as being "better".
Guilty, I'm afraid.

Not for location so much (although I much prefer upstairs in the Britannia on QM2, that way I get variety; downstairs breakfast & lunch, upstairs dinner) more to check that I'm at the requested size of table (which varies each voyage depending with whom I'm travelling).

I board QM2 in less than six hours :) :) :) (as long as there are no delays in the terminal), after dropping off my carry-ons in my cabin, off down to the Britannia Restaurant I go...

All best wishes.

Guilty, I'm afraid.

Not for location so much (although I much prefer upstairs in the Britannia on QM2, that way I get variety; downstairs breakfast & lunch, upstairs dinner) more to check that I'm at the requested size of table (which varies each voyage depending on with whom I'm travelling).

I board QM2 in less than six hours :) :) :) (as long as there are no delays in the terminal), after dropping off my carry-ons in my cabin, off down to the Britannia Restaurant I go...

All best wishes.

Have a wonderful trip Pepper, and please give the Big Girl a few pats for me and tell her that her friends in the Far East and Australasia are waiting to see her soon.

Louise

Have a wonderful trip Pepper, and please give the Big Girl a few pats for me and tell her that her friends in the Far East and Australasia are waiting to see her soon. Louise
Thank you Louise, I certainly will pass on your best wishes to QM2 :) .

Now, I really MUST switch off this computer, I've a train to catch... Thank you again.

Archived