Port or Starboard

pjcruise

We are booking a cruise from NY to Quebec next year and was wondering if there would be a preferred side that we should book our cabin? I know the best views will be from the top of the ship but any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks (and sorry if this has been asked before, I did do a search but couldn't find anything).

Pam

When you say "NY" does your ship sail from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal? If so it depends on what you're interested in. On sailaway the NY City skyline will be on the port side but the Statue of Liberty will be on the starboard side. That's why everyone recommends finding a spot on a high deck where you can easily see both sides.

If you're cruising from Brooklyn or from Cape Liberty it doesn't matter. Your cruise starts south of the Statue of Liberty and Manhattan so you don't cruise by either (although you can see them from your ship's berth) and as soon as the ship leaves you'll be moving further away from those views.

Thanks NJ Horseman. I don't know where in New York we are leaving from. I have asked my TA to find out. I was also thinking further afield than NY. Our ports of call are Boston, Rockland, Halifax, Sydney, Charlottetown, Saguenay Fjord and Quebec.

Thanks NJ Horseman. I don't know where in New York we are leaving from. I have asked my TA to find out. I was also thinking further afield than NY. Our ports of call are Boston, Rockland, Halifax, Sydney, Charlottetown, Saguenay Fjord and Quebec.

Hi,

For Saguenay Fjord, it doesn't matter because it is a very narrow passage and when you will do a U-turn, you will then see the other side of it.

For Quebec city, starboard is the best side because when you will arrive in Quebec, the old Quebec, Chateau Frontenac, Montmorency falls will all be starboard...you get the better view arriving at Quebec city compared to when leaving.

And yes for NYC, the highest point is the best!

As other posters have said "It doesn't matter". If you have a balcony cabin, when leaving NYC, the better place to be is on an outside public deck. Manhattan will be on the port side, but then the Statue of Liberty will be on the starboard side, so if you want to see both....be out on an upper public deck. As far as being out to sea, it makes no difference and as far as ports... can't predict... as sometimes they'll dock on the pier "on the left" sometimes "the right", sometimes bow in, sometimes stern in.

Brighton Line thanks for posting the photo. Never get tired of seeing it and am amazed at how many pax go in after seeing the Statue of Liberty.

On the Breakaway, the best place ( the highest place ) is on the ropes course ! Now that is close to the bridge. :eek:

On the Gem, there is a small deck, it's the "freestyle deck", actually it is deck 15 forward. It is only accessible on the port side via a stair from deck 14. It's the highest point on the Gem and you are close to the bridge also ! :eek:

We love to sail out of NYC !