Do a Mayan Ruins tour in Progreso!

• 2 months later...

Keep in mind that on the Chichen Itza tour from Progreso, there is a 2 hour ride on a bus from Progreso to Chichen Itza. You will have an hour or two at the ruins, and that's it. Back on the bus for 2 hours to Progreso. No stops, no time.

Uxmal is a FAR better bet, a little closer and a lot of potential stops along the way if you are not on a big bus tour.

WE just got back from the Liberty, did Uxmal excursion thru Carnival. WOW.... we love love loved it. I shot video and DH shot photos. I should have some posted later this weekend.

We have been to Chichen Itza before, it is very spread out, and very very crowded. I wouldn't do it again unless I was spending the night at a local hotel (this is what we did a few years ago, not on a cruise).

Comparing Uxmal and Chichen Itza... both are huge, both are impressive, both are worthwhile. Uxmal was 1.75 hours by bus each way but the tour guides talk the whole way there, giving history, so it did not seem that long. Uxmal is less touristy and less people. If you hate crowds, go there!

like I said... I will have a video posted sometime this weekend!