Solo on Quantum of the Seas

gaylemh

I was watching the video of dining on Quantum of the Seas that was just released. It looks like they are going to full freestyle dining. I have two cruises booked the 3 night sampler and 8 night on 4/24/15. I always liked RCI over NCL because they had tradition dining where you knew you would have others to sit with every night. I met a lot of great people dining on RCI.

How do other solos feel about doing away with tradition dining? Too me the biggest fear of going solo is having to eat dinner by myself. Breakfast and lunch I'm OK with, but would not enjoy dinner solo. Now I'm not sure if I will still be going on these sailings.

The restaurants sound great though.

How do other solos feel about doing away with tradition dining?

It doesn't pain me in the least. I prefer to dine alone (at all meals) and would not enjoy a cruise line that forced me to do otherwise.

It doesn't pain me in the least. I prefer to dine alone (at all meals) and would not enjoy a cruise line that forced me to do otherwise.

I don't think there is any cruise line that would force you to dine with others. I eat dinner almost every night at home alone, and enjoy having others to dine with when on vacation.

I don't ever choose traditional dining but on all the cruises I've been on as a solo (most on Celebrity but also RCCL and Azamara) you are able to ask to sit with others when you come to the dining room for anytime dining. Granted you aren't sitting with the same people every night but I found on a 10-12 night cruise I often sat with the same people several times--we all were on a similar schedule, I guess.

So I don't think you need to worry about having no set-time dining. But if you are that worried about it, maybe you can get a group on your Cruise Critic roll call to meet for dinner at the same time every night?

Boo!!! Hiss!!!

Just when I warmed up to RCI's Monster Trucks of the Seas (mega-ships), they pull something like this. Lack of assigned dining is the reason why I avoid NCL. Now I gotta find someone to cruise with if I want to sail on Quantum (and Anthem as well), to spare myself the awkwardness of eating dinner alone. At least their older ships still have assigned dining. What's ironic is that Carnival, the first line to break away from "stuffy cruising of the old", is the best one at keeping the tradition of assigned dining. With all its flaws and cutbacks, it's the most solo-friendly one when it comes to dinner.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

What makes the newer NCL ships work for solos in terms of dining are the studio lounge and cabins. Even if you don't stay in a studio you can meet people.

I found that the gathering fit in perfectly with the freestyle dining because everyone could take their time getting to diner.

Do think Quantum would be better if it had a daily solo gathering beforehand? Maybe there is someone at RCCL to write to because I looked at the ship and think it looks great.

As I have not been on Carnival, would like to try it. How does it work with solo dining, do you let them know ahead of time?

Because to me, this acheives the similar result of my NCL experience where I had mostly the same people for dinner every night which I agree is very important.

Again, my next cruise is with NCL because I like the boat, the gatherings, the entertainment (being able to play piano/organ with the various bands), but would not rule out RCCL or Carnival.

Do think Quantum would be better if it had a daily solo gathering beforehand? Maybe there is someone at RCCL to write to because I looked at the ship and think it looks great.

As I have not been on Carnival, would like to try it. How does it work with solo dining, do you let them know ahead of time?

Because to me, this acheives the similar result of my NCL experience where I had mostly the same people for dinner every night which I agree is very important.

I definitely think Quantum (and Anthem) should have a gathering for solos to form dinner groups amongst themselves. It's still "work" on the passenger's part, as opposed to Royal Caribbean doing the work for you, but it's good damage control for eliminating one of the most solo-friendly aspects of cruising.

Carnival matches tablemates by age, marital status, and kids or lack thereof. They determine relationships between passengers in the same cabin by their last names, age, and sex. For instance, a man and a woman with the same last name are a couple (although they could also be brother and sister), and will most likely be seated with other couples.

When you book your cruise, the maitre d' gets access to your demographic information, and matches your tablemates accordingly. I was 29 on my cruises, and all my tablemates were between 25 and 60, with mostly groups of friends, one married couple, and a few solos older than me. It avoids the awkward situation of a single guy sitting a table of smooching couples or a large family with loud young children.

I speak from experience. I sailed on Carnival twice as a solo, doing late seating both times. First time, I was the youngest at the table, so my tablemates were mostly dinner companions. Second time, two of my tablemates were close to me in age, so we hung out together, and even went out to a bar in port, and totally tore up the dance floor, with many other people from the ship.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

What makes the newer NCL ships work for solos in terms of dining are the studio lounge and cabins. Even if you don't stay in a studio you can meet people.

I found that the gathering fit in perfectly with the freestyle dining because everyone could take their time getting to diner.

Again, my next cruise is with NCL because I like the boat, the gatherings, the entertainment (being able to play piano/organ with the various bands), but would not rule out RCCL or Carnival.

Yes the Quantum looks amazing, especially the restaurants. I do hope they will have some sort of meet up for solo's to make dinner plans. The 2 Quantum cruises I have booked cost a small fortune, and a big part of cruising is going to dinner and meeting other cruisers. I have made a lot of friends that way. I eat dinner at home by myself most nights, and I like to socialize when I'm on vacation.

The restaurants won't do me any good though if I have to go and dine solo. I would be paying a lot of money for something I wouldn't take full advantage of. I would probably end up eating in the WJ every night.

Something that might work in a solo's favor, if you don't have a reservation, and you can share tables with others, it would probably be easy to sit 1 somewhere with no waits.

I'm going on Explorer on Saturday, and maybe I'll speak to the hotel manager or cruise director to see who I could write to suggest a meet up for solo's for dinner.

gaylemh - I'm going solo on the April 24, 2015 Quantum of the Seas sailing too. Don't cancel...I'll have dinner with you! :)

As a solo traveller, I like traditional dining because you have the same tablemates every night. With dynamic dining, I'm sure we will be put at a table with others but we obviously won't be dining with the same people every night.

Maybe we should start a solo travellers roll call for our sailing?

gaylemh - I'm going solo on the April 24, 2015 Quantum of the Seas sailing too. Don't cancel...I'll have dinner with you! :)

As a solo traveller, I like traditional dining because you have the same tablemates every night. With dynamic dining, I'm sure we will be put at a table with others but we obviously won't be dining with the same people every night.

Maybe we should start a solo travellers roll call for our sailing?

That sounds great. I'm leaving tomorrow on Explorer. I'll be in touch when I get back. We'll have to start a dinner table list on our roll call.

• 2 weeks later...
Lucky you...have a wonderful trip!

I just got back today. Had a great cruise, with surprisingly good weather. Never thought we would be able to sit up at the pool deck yesterday, but it was beautiful. A little too cool for swimming in the pools for me, but wonderful for shorts.

I didn't get a chance to look at the restaurants yet. Have you booked anything? Email me at gailmh at Hotmail dot com

hello, do you have a review posted of your cruise? I have only done NCL solo.

Hi Howard, No I didn't do a review, but I'll be happy to answer any questions if I can.

I sail on Explorer all the time because of the convenience, and the fact that I hate dealing with airports. I also lived in Bayonne, and now my daughter lives in my old house, so I can park for free. I have no "getting to the port expenses". I have also taken advantage of great senior and residents rates, and l never get tired of Bermuda.

I have met great people on Explorer, and have sailed a number of times with the same solo cruisers. I'll be sailing with a few of women I met for the 3rd time in September.

A coworker of mine just did the sailing before you did- it seemed like many great ports (I think she did a 10 or 11 night one).

I really think I am going to try Quantum after my Breakaway repeat cruise.

what is the latest they are taking bookings?

NYC is easier for me than Bayonne in terms of public transportation, but I am sure I could get some sort of service to Bayonne which is probably 75-80 minutes from me.

Did they have solo gatherings on the explorer?

A coworker of mine just did the sailing before you did- it seemed like many great ports (I think she did a 10 or 11 night one).

I really think I am going to try Quantum after my Breakaway repeat cruise.

what is the latest they are taking bookings?

NYC is easier for me than Bayonne in terms of public transportation, but I am sure I could get some sort of service to Bayonne which is probably 75-80 minutes from me.

Did they have solo gatherings on the explorer?

As of right now the last sailing you can book is April 24, 2015. They will be releasing the May through fall dates in a few weeks, according to those I spoke to on the ship.

I don't know where you live, but a few of the women I've met have used a bus, that brings you right to the port. I know there is one from New England, and I think somewhere in Pa, and L.I.

http://www.academybus.com/Cruises.aspx

No actual solo gatherings, but they do have a singles meet up at one of the bars each night. I went a few times to check it out and there was never anyone there, so now I don't even check. I've always met up with people I talk to on the roll call, and from there we usually meet a few others once on the ship. My last few cruises were actually booked with my new "buddies", before we even got off the ship. The piano bar, Viking Lounge, and Dizzy's are great places to meet people.

I just got back today. Had a great cruise, with surprisingly good weather. Never thought we would be able to sit up at the pool deck yesterday, but it was beautiful. A little too cool for swimming in the pools for me, but wonderful for shorts.

I didn't get a chance to look at the restaurants yet. Have you booked anything? Email me at gailmh at Hotmail dot com

Welcome back! I emailed you.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got back from 14 days on Celebrity Eclipse. I had Select dining. Every evening I was asked if I would like to join others for dinner - had wonderful tablemates, different every night. So there is no issue on Celebrity. They are more expensive for solo.

It's a significant concern for me. Dynamic Dining is dividing up the main dining room in favor of four smaller dining rooms with different cuisines, and they are encouraging everyone to make reservations. I foresee this causing difficulty in accommodating solo travelers including those wanting to dine as a group and one restaurant become a favorite and being in high demand. This and other factors including a lack of a host at the solo gatherings is making me reconsider sailing Quantum. Also, Royal will be moving Quantum to China and who knows what type of design changes they will make for that eventuality. Too many uncertainties for my comfort. I'd rather wait until Quantum is in my backyard in Bayonne and hear back from other solo travelers before I decide to sail her.

Edited by kylenyc