HA shower

cala8

I need some help,DH and I are going on Zuierdam Feb.2015 to Panama Canal.We usually get a verandah,VA catergory.While reviewing cabins I noticed that,that category only has tubs.DH while not in a wheelchair uses a cane and cannot get in or out of a tub.We were away this week in a HA room in a hotel,big problem with shower head on center wall of shower letting water hit shower curtain and flooding floor.I know there have been some posts about water on floor in cabins.Pictures are not real clear about toilet and shower locations.Please give me your feedback and as much help as you can,Thanks in advance for your help.

Your post is unclear as to what your specifically asking.

Have taken several Holland America cruises. The only cabins that have showers are Neptune Suites, Signature Suites, standard inside cabins, fully accessible cabins and modified accessible cabins.

Re: Accessible Cabins : yes there will be an issue with water rolling out from the shower floor, particularly if there is a lot of ship movement. Generally speaking most people request extra towels to roll up and place as a perimeter barrier to prevent this from occurring.

Edited by xxoocruiser

It appears that you have made other similar posts as far back as February 2014 which appear to be the same cruise and similar question in which others have replied to as well. Here's the links for you to review.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=41816608#post41816608

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1996339

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1994496

Edited by xxoocruiser

Thank you for your reply,yes I did ask some questions before,still not clear on what we want to do,since we had a HA shower at a hotel.What is a modified HA?Still unsure about toilet area in relationship to shower.If floor gets wet from the shower will it be an issue going to bathroom.Thanks for your response.

What is a modified HA?

Hal's modified accessible cabin is standard cabin which the bathroom has been slightly modified and has a lower threshold which the person is still required to step up 4"-5" in order to enter. It is not a zero threshold entry into the bathroom as in a fully accessible cabin. Also a modified bathroom has additional grab bars.

Still unsure about toilet area in relationship to shower.

The toilet is in the same room as the shower. The shower and toilet are close. How much more is there to know ?

If floor gets wet from the shower will it be an issue going to bathroom.

Only if the water remains floor as it can pose a slip/fall hazard. That's why I previously noted to ask for extra towels to place around the perimeter of the shower.

I am in a wheelchair and have been on several cruises with Holland America. Yes, the floor most likely will get wet from the shower. The showers have handheld shower heads. With careful use of where the shower head is directed and strategic placement of towels, the amount of water will be minimal.

Have not been on that ship, but this is a typical fully accessible (not "modified" shower) on a HAL cruise ship (this is the Statendam). Partially modified cabins may have the step up into the bathroom, and may have a tub instead of a roll-in shower like this. We always added a rolled-up towel outside the trough drain to catch excess water, especially when showering at sea. In port, drainage is rarely an issue.

Statendam709-8.jpg.235dac068b01d43714ea7d9a3587cfdb.jpg