Taxis - Solo or Share??

TX Catty Cruiser

Share or use other public transport. Really depends on port. Check ports boards for options. Like some Caribbean have trucks the workers fill up, first come first served. So traveling with them requires no planning to share.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

When you are in port and need a taxi (let say to go to a beach or local attraction) do you just hop in by yourself or do you try to get someone to share the taxi?

I'd like to just hop in, and do in most places around the world, but at a couple of stops I found things worked a little differently - they might cram you in with a group of passengers heading to the same place, or the same direction, that you're going. They're especially likely to do this if you're alone.

as a solo female cruiser, I would not take a taxi in mexico by myself but that is just me. In the virgin islands i got in a group taxi as well as in nassau. I am not shy to venture out on my own, i am just careful and there is safety in numbers usually.

• 2 weeks later...
We always try to find a group to share the costs with. Check with people as they are getting off the ship. I am planning on Nachi Cocum in Cozumel on our next trip and hoping to find someone as we get off. Cruising October 22... Can't get here fast enough.

We are on the same cruise. In fact we have "talked" about Nachi Cocom on another thread! Maybe it's fate that we share a taxi! Are you a member of the Fb group for our cruise? There are 2 - I 'm part of the larger group. Hopefully we can connect.

• 4 weeks later...

I have found at times that others are wanting a taxi to go where I also want to go. Have not had a problem with sharing such with others. At Belfast, I shared a taxi with a couple and thought the driver would charge me 50% since the others were a "couple". No! He expected only one-third of the fare with the couple responsible for two-thirds of the fare.

• 3 weeks later...

In Cozumel it's easy to share. They ask where you're going and put groups together.

I've made arrangements to meet others who then didn't show. Won't do that again.

I'm mid 60's and have been cruising solo since my kids went to college 9 years ago. Love the freedom of doing what I want when I want. I've met some really interesting people. Once a woman recognized me from a different cruise. (I didn't remember her at all.) We spent a lot of time together chatting. I also go to trivia and meet plenty of people to chat with.

• 1 month later...