is it easy to avoid packaged excursions.... in other words go on your own

uilleann

We are on a Sept16 Amsterdam to Budapest Avalon Cruise. This will be our first. We are fit and active mid-60 year olds. We like to hike, bicycle, sit at cafes, shop in out of the way areas, and take our time at museums. We also do tons of research on the places we visit including learning enough of the languages to get buy.

Sooooo..... waiting for buses, site-seeing from buses, walking as slow as the slowest member of your group, and being told when to move is all something we want to avoid.

So how easy is it to go off on our on? Can we call a cab rather than the ships buses? I understand that sometimes the ship will drop you off in one location and pick you up in another. Is that walkable or taxi-able?

thoughts?

You can do and go as you please. Let the Avalon rep's know what you plan to do and when you plan on returning. If the ship is sailing make note of the time so you won't be left standing on the dock. It's a good idea to have the ship's phone number and docking location in the event you need it.

You can do and go as you please. Let the Avalon rep's know what you plan to do and when you plan on returning. If the ship is sailing make note of the time so you won't be left standing on the dock. It's a good idea to have the ship's phone number and docking location in the event you need it.

Also perhaps the next docking location just in case.

DON

Good advice! We've only sailed on Viking but the few times they've sailed and picked the tour group in a different location they warned us the night before and made many announcements besides it being listed in the itinerary. So, except for a major emergency, you'll know in plenty of time if there's a change in port.

We've often wandered from the tour group - but, of course, let the guide know when you're leaving. On Viking they use "boxes" with earphones so you don't have to stay on top of the guide to hear what's being said - and I'm sure Avalon will also. That's gives you the opportunity to wander a bit - for me its to take photos - but still be part of the tour IF you decide to go with the group.

We also have been very independent on Ocean Cruises usually finding like-minded travelers on CC and often going on small - 8 people - tours. The one thing I miss about RCs is the preplanning with others on CC. But we've actually gotten to enjoy the RC tours - maybe because we're older and slower! Many of the tours are "designed" as a walking tour of a town plus free time to explore. Especially if you dock in the center of a town.

My one suggestion - really read carefully the itinerary - especially if there's a detailed one available - Viking has most posted on their web site and they go into more detail than the "overview" ones.

Also keep in mind that often they'll be a morning tour scheduled to get back for the ship's lunch and then another tour/free time/optional tour/activity in the afternoon. If you're staying in port that day, having lunch in town - with or without the morning tour - is always an option. And we've found the desk or tour guide can be a big help with restaurant suggestions.

Hope this helps a little - enjoy your cruise!!!

We only did one river cruise which wasn't with Avalon, but the itinerary was Budapest to Amsterdam, yours in reverse.

Not sure where you got the impression that you would be on a bus most of the time, because if your boat stops in most of the same towns and/or cities that ours did, you will mostly be docked in the town or city centre.

Only a very few times did we need to use buses, the rest of the time we simply walked off to begin the walking tour. Sometimes entry to a site or museum was included and if solo you would need to pay that yourselves.

You mention that cycling is a hobby. Check if Avalon offer cycling shorex as ours did. And on ours if the cycles were not being used for a shorex they could be borrowed.

We often DIY, unless the cruise we are on offers an active level tour or one of particular interest. Often the others are just too slow.

Unless you start off with a guide and leave mid tour, there is no need to let a guide know that you are not joining the tour. Simply walk off the boat and do as you please or take the available transport to the city center, if that applies.

I strongly suggest having a cell phone with you and providing the number to the front desk or CM aboard, as well as letting them know you are DIY. We had a sudden snow melt that caused the river to rise rapidly and had us depart Regensburg at 4pm rather than as scheduled at 10pm. We just happened to have walked back to the boat to drop off my mom, who wanted to rest after touring, and they made the announcement.

Avalon had no way to get in touch with those that were off on their own and the boat sailed. The CM stayed behind and waited for everyone and then they had a bus take them to dinner and to meet the boat later that night. It was very well handled but I would have preferred to be contacted by cell so we could have returned to the boat if we were not already there.

One of the groups on an optional also did not make it back in time so this applied to both those on scheduled excursions and DIY.

I am never without a cell in Europe just in case.

Last cruise (last month) we took one included excursion (a hike) and then did everything else on our own.

Edited by caviargal

We are on a Sept16 Amsterdam to Budapest Avalon Cruise. This will be our first. We are fit and active mid-60 year olds. We like to hike, bicycle, sit at cafes, shop in out of the way areas, and take our time at museums. We also do tons of research on the places we visit including learning enough of the languages to get buy.

Sooooo..... waiting for buses, site-seeing from buses, walking as slow as the slowest member of your group, and being told when to move is all something we want to avoid.

So how easy is it to go off on our on? Can we call a cab rather than the ships buses? I understand that sometimes the ship will drop you off in one location and pick you up in another. Is that walkable or taxi-able?

thoughts?

Check with your cruise director, there were boarding cards that guests were asked to pick up as they left the ship. This allowed the ship to keep track of numbers so nobody was left behind. The cards were kept at the reception desk.

thoughts?

I think you will find river cruising is not for you. My wife and I have similar interests. While we thoroughly enjoyed our UniWorld cruise (Budapest to Amsterdam), we probably will not take another one. Perhaps a shorter one in France next year, we'll see.

In addition to the issues you cite, you will find that in some towns you do not have enough time and in others you find yourself wondering why you are there for so long. However, one advantage is that it does give you a nice overview of places you want to go back to and places to avoid.

We're going back to leasing a car and going and staying where we want for as long as we want. My wife will miss only having to unpack once though! :D