Recent use of Luggage Forward or others.

Skeezics

I have looked through the threads for recent reviews of luggage services....haven't found much. Wonder if anyone has recently used a luggage service that they would recommend.

Web site for Luggage Forward has reasonable prices. Thinking of our up coming Amazon cruise. Flying American, and with their record in the last few weeks worried about missed flights, late flights, you name it. Would allow flexibility if we need to find alternate flights along the way from San Diego to Barbados. Thanks in advance. Barb

We are currently using Luggage Forward for our Seabourn Sojourn cruise out of Montreal this coming Friday as we, too, are flying American Airlines and it's that much less to fret about given that we have to connect twice. The arrangements went smoothly and quickly by phone, and our luggage was picked up by FedEx (their representative here) this past Wednesday. We could have tracked it but did not need to, as Luggage Forward called yesterday to say our bags are in secured storage in Montreal already and will be delivered to the ship (and signed for by Seabourn) when it docks. We sent two standard rolling suitcases that weighed just under fifty pounds apiece.

Just curious... what is the charge for two bags under 50lbs.?

We've got a flight on Delta and I don't have FF status on them like I do American and Frontier.

This link takes you to their pricing page.

http://www.luggagefree.com/pricing/

You pay per pound rather than per bag.

If you are not close to your airport there might be a small additional fee.

For domestic most use the $2.00 per pound option for domestic shipments.

Keith

I'd be interested in the pricing too since the border is involved. Anytime I looked at it, it seemed too expensive to me (but then again, I'm really cheap.)

Our first SilverSea cruise was from NYC to England, via Halifax. In total, we were away from home 6 weeks - 2 weeks working in NYC, 2+weeks on the ship and 10 days working in Finland after the cruise. We had a ton of luggage with us and were well overweight and over pieces for going onto Finland, so in Halifax I carried everything I didn't need for the remainder of the cruise and for our European portion off the ship in a shopping bag and left it at my Uncle's house, picking it up during our regular summer holiday there. And then, in England, I mailed home all the Chronicles and other correspondence on the ship because we wanted to keep them but they were heavy.

That left the formal wear which we didn't need for our work in Finland so we left that at LHR left baggage.

At the time I had looked into sending our bags home from England but I believe it was over $200 per bag, so I paid $80 for left baggage instead since our transatlantic flights allowed all the bags we had, just not our inter-Europe flights.

I have looked through the threads for recent reviews of luggage services....haven't found much. Wonder if anyone has recently used a luggage service that they would recommend.

I used Luggage Forward 2X. After The second time I figured it wasn't worth it for me. Last 2 cruises I've taken I used UPS. I send the suitcases to the hotel I will be staying at. Then bring the suitcases to the ship. On Return I bring the suitcases to the hotel and have the suitcases shipped back home via UPS. The suitcases are put in heavy cardboard boxes. Something that didn't happen with Luggage Forward.

Luggage Forward might send a guy to pickup your luggage. But they also use ether UPS or Fedex. So I Decided to cut out the middleman.

Just to note - Keith mentions Luggage Free and gives a link to their website. We're sure there are several dependable companies out there, but we chose Luggage Forward because Seabourn recommended them.

Luggage Forward has a calculator on its home page that will figure just how much the charges will be given what you need to send and where you need to send it. We could tell you what we spent, but our case involved shipping from Hawaii to a foreign country and to a cruise ship instead of a hotel, so charges were a bit more in our case.

Thanks everyone for the input. Will go ahead use Luggage Forward. Will have shipped to our hotel rather than the ship. I used FedX years ago to ship ski equipment to a hotel....since this is a non US destination do not feel secure enough to skip the middle layer. According to the website, the price for two 50 lb bags was around $450. Wish me luck!

Just to note - Keith mentions Luggage Free and gives a link to their website. We're sure there are several dependable companies out there, but we chose Luggage Forward because Seabourn recommended them.

Luggage Forward has a calculator on its home page that will figure just how much the charges will be given what you need to send and where you need to send it. We could tell you what we spent, but our case involved shipping from Hawaii to a foreign country and to a cruise ship instead of a hotel, so charges were a bit more in our case.

Yes, I am sorry. I mixed up forward and free.

We wil be using Luggage Free which our friends have used several times and are very happy with. They use Fed Ex as well.

If it was me I would call a couple of the services. Ask questions including pricing. And figure out which one you are more comfortable with.

In our case since we personally knew the people who used them after we called a couple of places (plus there is another one we have used several times) we went with the one we selected.

Many will use the same carriers for shipping as the choices are somewhat limited depending where you are shipping them to or from.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010

I also want to add another suggestion.

I would also contact them.

Pricing was one question to ask but others include do they hold the luggage if arriving early? Where? Is it a secured facility? How early do they arrive to pick up the luggage? Do they give you a window to wait or is it all day? Do they put anything around the luggage to keep it clean? There are more but these are certainly some to ask so there are no surprises.

Keith

Decided to go with Luggage Free. Had a nice chat with a fellow named Marcus. Luggage will be picked up on November 2nd and will arrive in Barbados on the 9th. (they do not deliver on weekends). Our cruise begins the 13th; so plenty of time if life happens. Having it sent directly to our hotel...do not trust that there would be a secure site for storage. As with most cruise ships, ground staff is hired at the port, and loads of ships come through this particular port. Thanks for your input. Really happy with my decision. Will post when return in Dec. and let everyone know how it all worked out.

• 1 year later...

Web site for Luggage Forward has reasonable prices. Thinking of our up coming Amazon cruise. Flying American, and with their record in the last few weeks worried about missed flights, late flights, you name it. Would allow flexibility if we need to find alternate flights along the way from San Diego to Barbados. Thanks in advance. Barb

I just got a quote of $1704 for 3 - 50 lb bags

pickup iNC to Royal Princes in Florida

retupn from Budapest, Hungaryback to Sanford

30 days netwee pickups