Drink packages on RCI

Fnigro07

I picked up the basic drinking package on my last cruise. Was it worth it? That depends on how much you drink while on a cruise. Each drink costs around $7 to $8 ... basics like house wine, rum and coke, beer. It can add up. The package makes it so easy to not have to worry on what the final cost will be. no brainer.

It depends on your drinking habits and what you're looking for. For me, we always buy a drink package when available before sailing, so that everything is paid for months before we ever get on the ship.

We're getting the Premium package on our RCI cruise, because the only difference between the Premium & the Ultimate packages is the addition of Royal Replenish. That makes sense to add if you drink a lot of coffees and want sparkling water instead of still. We don't drink coffee at all, and regular still water is fine for me.

If you search the Royal Caribbean board, there are a few links to drink menus - take a look at them and see what you're likely to drink on a given day and add it up to see if it's worth it for you. Remember that the cost of the premium package includes drinks + 15% gratuity, so it's actually only about $48/day per person for drink prices.

It's really easy to hit $48, IMO. Especially if you drink wine. 2-3 glasses of good wine will put you at $24-36 right there, and I can drink that much at dinner without even trying, leaving $12-24 for water, cokes, frozen drinks, shots, etc. for the rest of the day.

No brainer, even on port days.

Do you recommend getting a drink package on RCI? My boyfriend and I are 30 years old ... If this helps? And why do you recommend ?

No one can tell you if any of their packages will be worth it for you because we have no idea of what your personal drinking habits are. Age has nothing to do with the packages other than you're over 21. What you have to do is make a guess as to what, and how much, you think you'll have every day, including bottled water, coffee, soft drinks and alcohol and then see if that amount will more than cover the daily charge of the package.

I would recommend the drink packages. You just need to determine what kind of drinks you would like. All the RCI alcohol packages also include soft drinks. The main reason I like to buy these are to have one less thing to worry about on vacation. There is some peace and relaxation that comes with knowing it has already been paid for.

For my 24 year old nephew we should have gotten a drink package last November. He was up every night til the club closed and had some drinks during the day. His tab was about $600 about half of what our total bill was at the end of our cruise. We are not making that mistake this August. For myself, I had the soda package. Soda is my coffee. I also spent about $60 on drinks during the cruise but I watched and knew what I had to spend. Also, I was watching over my sister who was still recovering from emergency gallbladder surgery. This August we are both planning on getting drink packages and living it up. BTW we also had met some very nice people on the ship who got us drinks here and there with their drink package and our server brought us free drinks every now and then. We did make sure to tip him extra throughout the cruise ;) so that helped as well.

I would recommend researching the prices of drinks and checking them out. Estimate about what you think you will be drinking add a few in and go from there.

I also recommend the Miami Vice and CoCo Locos ;)

Sent from my ME302KL using Forums mobile app

Can I just get a drink package for curtain days? Or buy a drink package and split it with my boyfriend? Is that possible!?

No, you must buy for all adults in the cabin and only for all days of the cruise. You cannot pick and choose days or share the plan.

I am also considering a package because I want to be at peace on the ship. I was under the inpression we could purchase a package daily. Since we will be on several excursions we will not be on the boat drinking until after we return.

Secondly I was under the impression that the packages were unlimited. So when I order a drink I still have to do a countdown in my head?

I am not a coctail or a wine drinker. Im a cognac lady ;).

Thank you in advance for your answers.

countdown.pl?image=Beach-9&name=Tee718&date=2-21-2015&text=&ship=Jewel of the Seas

I recommend not buying it if you are not sure. You can buy it prorated until the 2nd or 3rd day of the cruise. That will give you a little bit of time to compare prices. You might find that you aren't drinking nearly as much as you expected. For the alcohol package, we figure it to be at least 7 beer/ mixed drinks per person per day (everyday) to make it worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No, you must buy for all adults in the cabin and only for all days of the cruise. You cannot pick and choose days or share the plan.

This is not quite accurate. You do not have to purchase for all adults in the cabin, each person can choose whether out not to buy a package. And you can purchase ad long as there are 4 days left in the cruise, so you dint have to buy for the entire cruise. One you do decide to purchase you must purchase for all remaining days, but you don't have to buy on day 1.

Sharing is definitely not permitted. :)

For the alcohol package, we figure it to be at least 7 beer/ mixed drinks per person per day (everyday) to make it worth it

I don't necessarily agree only because the package also covers Cokes and bottled water, so if you drink those, take that into account. Cokes are $3 or so and water is $4, I believe. Even if you just grab a few bottles of water to take off the ship it does add up.

I know there's a spreadsheet someone created for Celebrity, maybe I'll try to do something similar for RCI

Can anyone tell me if spirits are included in the Premium drinks packages? My husband drinks mainly things like scotch whiskey, vodka, rum etc but the packages only appear to talk about cocktails, wines and juices etc......???

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I contacted RCI this morning. They informed me that the Premium package does include Vodka, Rum, etc.... Further more you can purchase a package up to 4 days on the boat as opposed to the entire trip. I prefer to go that route, so check directly with your cruise line.

I don't necessarily agree only because the package also covers Cokes and bottled water, so if you drink those, take that into account. Cokes are $3 or so and water is $4, I believe. Even if you just grab a few bottles of water to take off the ship it does add up.

I know there's a spreadsheet someone created for Celebrity, maybe I'll try to do something similar for RCI

Definitely see what you're saying! I meant if the primary/sole purpose was for alcohol.

I contacted RCI this morning. They informed me that the Premium package does include Vodka, Rum, etc.... Further more you can purchase a package up to 4 days on the boat as opposed to the entire trip. I prefer to go that route, so check directly with your cruise line.

Thanks heaps tee718!

That's very interesting I called royal Caribbean last night they informed us we need to purchase the package for the whole week and everyone in the stateroom has to purchase it not just one person

That's very interesting I called royal Caribbean last night they informed us we need to purchase the package for the whole week and everyone in the stateroom has to purchase it not just one person

As I stated earlier that is the policy but everyone said I was wrong. :p

The packages wouldn't be practical for the company to make money on if they let people just pick and choose what days they used it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Good Morning All,

I was reading the updated responses this morning and call RCI back to verify what I had posted yesterday. They confirmed that I do not have to purchase the package for the entire length of the trip. It just has to be minimum 4 consecutive days. I explained it did not make sense to book the package when I boarding 6pm Saturday and returning 6am Sunday morning. RCI stated that I would have up until Tuesday to puchase the package, this seems more reasonable.

They also confirmed that the Premium package which I will be purchasing is $55 per day per person and includes unlimited cocktails and beers (including well drinks)

I have no doubt on any of the posters here. We (or most) are first time cruisers and I wanted to get the bottom line. :rolleyes:

As I stated earlier that is the policy but everyone said I was wrong. :p

The packages wouldn't be practical for the company to make money on if they let people just pick and choose what days they used it.

You can buy the package as long as there are at least 4 days left in your cruise. You can't pick & choose which days to use it, but if you don't want to buy it on the first or 2nd day, you can still buy for the remainder of the cruise at a prorated charge.

They changed the rules in November 2013 regarding all passengers in a stateroom having to purchase.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=336&faqSubjectName=Food+%26+Beverage&faqId=5805

Edited by Jobeth66

Thanks heaps tee718!

Depends largely on the ship and specific rep. The option to buy for just one person is new (dec. I think) and IMO shoreside employees aren't always kept up to date.