Credit card charge

vodkatonic1961

Hi everyone. Am I right in thinking that the credit card I use for my on board account will be processed in this country and therefore will not mean my credit card provider will charge me as if I'm abroad? I remember on Princess the currency was in US dollars therefore i was charged. Any answers gratefully received! Thanks

If you are on P&O, then the on board currency is pounds sterling. At the end of the cruise your card will be charged the same amount as on your bill with no extra card charge.

Brian

Another interesting point , if you were to withdraw cash via your credit card the credit card provider would charge a fee... We needed some extra local currency on our cruise and found that if you bought this on board it just goes on your bill but doesn't incur any additional fee from the cc company

The conversion rates for foreign currency on board are not as good as the rates you get by using an ATM ashore. However, it is convenient and the amount in sterling goes on your bill which is ultimately paid by your credit card. So it could be a month or two before you actually pay it.

You can also withdraw sterling on your account which just goes on your bill with no extra charge. At the end of the cruise, your credit card just sees the total amount so your cash withdrawal is just treated as any other on board spend.

Brian

That's great to have that confirmed as I always use my Clarity card on Cunard to avoid a foreign transaction fee as they bill in US dollars.

At least on P&O I can use my normal card which gives me points if it's billed in GBP, so that's a plus.

I was a little unsure as it's all the Carnival group, so thanks for the replies.

That's great to have that confirmed as I always use my Clarity card on Cunard to avoid a foreign transaction fee as they bill in US dollars.

At least on P&O I can use my normal card which gives me points if it's billed in GBP, so that's a plus.

I was a little unsure as it's all the Carnival group, so thanks for the replies.

We do the same - use our M&S on board but if you want cash from an ATM on shore, the Clarity Card is very good. There's no transaction charges and the exchange rate is as applies at the time although you do start paying interest on a cash withdrawal from the day it's withdrawn rather than the end of the statement period as is the case for other transactions.

We find it's accepted in cafes and shops, museums, for trains etc and no hike up on the exchange rate - it helps preserve our cash for places where a card isn't appropriate. We think it's brilliant - don't know how long it will last as it's not usual to find a bank product which works in our favour!

So at the end of your cruise do P&O charge a % fee just for using your credit card?

No fee for your on board spend.

However, they do charge when you book your cruise if you use a credit card.

Brian

Brian

Thanks Brian. Your always very helpful, Im beginning to see you as my very own personal cruise advisor :D

Thanks Brian. Your always very helpful, Im beginning to see you as my very own personal cruise advisor :D

Careful Stevie, have you seen Brian's charges, he draws you in with free information at the start then when you are hooked, well.............

:) :) :)

Brian

They also charge for anything that you purchase using your credit card before you sail, eg excursions, wine packages.

I booked excursions and a welcome package last year and I'm sure that there wasn't an additional charge on my credit card.

Rick.

I booked an excursion for our Britannia cruise to be certain that we got on it as it was showing as limited availability at the end of February. :Last week when I got my cc bill I saw that it was higher than the price that had been shown on CP when I booked, I call P&O and was told that there was an admin charge for excursions booked with a cc from CP.

Hi Josy 1953, just checked my credit card statement from last August, I had booked 2 nights in Sindhu for 2 of us and was charged £60.00 (£15 x 4).

So it looks like they have now started applying a surcharge, I'll wait until I'm on board in future unless it's for a limited space excursion.

Thanks for the info.

Rick.