Uber to the port

sailor05

Has anyone used Uber for going to a port and get stuck in line? Not sure how Uber handles delays and I know sometimes it can take 15-20 minutes to get to the drop-off area once there. We are going out of New Orleans for the first time so unsure how well it moves. I have a rental van reserved but after looking at the cost of Uber it's about the same without the hassle of picking up and dropping off the rental.

not true, you know surge pricing before you book. I use Uber all the time. They do have a waiting charge which is 1/4 of taxi wait times.
Tell that to my co-worker who thought they were paying for a $20 ride per the app, and ended up with a $175 charge.

Has anyone used Uber for going to a port and get stuck in line? Not sure how Uber handles delays and I know sometimes it can take 15-20 minutes to get to the drop-off area once there. We are going out of New Orleans for the first time so unsure how well it moves. I have a rental van reserved but after looking at the cost of Uber it's about the same without the hassle of picking up and dropping off the rental.

We used Uber this past January cruise in Canaveral and had no problems going to port from hotel, super fast. Getting back to the hotel after the cruise was a totally different story, it was horrible! Ended up having to cancel out 3 of them and after the forth one decided to not show up, we ended up taking a taxi. Talking with others, it tends to be hit or miss.

Tell that to my co-worker who thought they were paying for a $20 ride per the app, and ended up with a $175 charge.

I have probably taken over 50 Uber rides, I have never heard of anything like this.The App gives you the approximate price before you get in the car. The only other variable is wait time.Until recently Uber was not allowed at the NOLA airport. Some airports have a fixed rate, sometimes the same as taxis. Your friend did not pay attention to his phone rates. When surging is applied for concerts or sporting events, it can get pricey. We went from down town Manhattan to JFK and it was a base fair of $55, about the same as taxis. You do need to pay attention, but $175 is ridiculous.

Last March from FLL to Port Everglades, we got stuck in a long vehicle line at the port. A delivery truck had a hard time maneuvering at the far end of the terminal due to a poorly parked vehicle near the luggage drop off point. It took almost 15 min. We were expecting an increase in fare but turned out that to be insignificant.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks all! I've used Uber before with no issues. They were awesome in New York City this past November. We never encountered any traffic jams so was unsure of a wait time charge. I think we'll go that route since it's probably the easiest. I plan on doing the Uber XL since there will be 4 of us plus a ton of luggage:eek:

Thanks all! I've used Uber before with no issues. They were awesome in New York City this past November. We never encountered any traffic jams so was unsure of a wait time charge. I think we'll go that route since it's probably the easiest. I plan on doing the Uber XL since there will be 4 of us plus a ton of luggage:eek:

I love Uber, use their service at home all the time, and used them with no problems on the sailing I just got off. Having said that, be prepared with a contingency plan - one of our two Uber"XL"s showed up in a Toyota Camry. Three of us and three medium suitcases fit fine, but the trunk was pretty full!

• 2 weeks later...

I love Uber and was considering using them for an upcoming cruise out of New Orleans so I decided to check pricing from Gretna, a suburb just across the river and usually a 15 minute ride to the port. UberX was well over $100 and Uber SUV (which we needed) was $250.00.