Review of Clearwater Beach & Sea Glass Beach

GeminiBy4

Visited Clearwater July 13 and Sea Glass Beach July 15. Off Norwegian Breakaway.

Review (trying not to repeat what others have said)

Clearwater Beach

This beach is not worth the journey UNLESS you take the earliest St. George's ferry! We took the Hamilton ferry due to timing issues and then #10 bus to #6 bus. Two hours of travelling on way there. We did see the entire island which was worth that, but it was precious time that we could have had on the beach vs. bus ride.

You MUST make the effort to walk past the main beach (past playground, past Gombey's bar) to the edge of the Cooper's reserve. THIS IS where paradise begins!! We only discovered this as we were leaving. We only stayed on main beach. Swam with sea turtles! But if you are looking for quiet - not. Campers screeched for 3 hours. And I mean, top of the lungs screeches.

The 1/2 mile walk, uphill, on a hot road, at the edge of the airport (hint - taking little kids here via bus IS not ideal) was not as terrible as it looks. Also dangerous with small kids. You do have to wait a sketchy apt. building for the bus.

Sea Glass Beach

This is not walkable from the Dockyard. I cannot believe previous posters have said they walked this road to Sea Glass Beach - there are no sidewalks most of the way. Narrow roads, tight corners.

We took a taxi from dockyard. $11 one way without tip. I'm sorry, this beach was a huge disappointment. Garbage everywhere - car parts bigger than a dog, foam, stuffed animals, etc. There was security there ensuring no glass was removed. We had no impulse to take the glass - it was that unattractive.

HOWEVER, there are very small beaches next to it that would make the trip worth it so bring your suit and towel and snorkel gear!! Just thumb it for a ride back via taxi.

Visited Clearwater July 13 and Sea Glass Beach July 15. Off Norwegian Breakaway.

Thank you for your report. About the main beach at Clearwater. It is a man made beach that was made for US personal at the military base that used to be on the site. That is why it is why it is not as nice as many of the natural Bermuda beaches. Yes, the best way to get there is to take the ferry to St. George. And then on from there.

Sea Glass Beach, the only reason to visit is to get some sea glass. Unfortunately some tourists were filling up bags of it, and even bragging about it. That ruined it for people who would only pick up a piece or two as they put up as sign prohibiting taking sea glass. Interesting that they have gone so far as putting security there.

Edited by Charles4515

Clearwater Beach

The 1/2 mile walk, uphill, on a hot road, at the edge of the airport (hint - taking little kids here via bus IS not ideal) was not as terrible as it looks. Also dangerous with small kids. You do have to wait a sketchy apt. building for the bus.

I just wanted to say...if you are coming down the road that Clearwater is located on and you go LEFT at the intersection, there is a bus stop down there and there's no walking "uphill" or danger with small kids because there's a sidewalk that runs along the airport. Also no sketchy apartment building at the bus stop. There's nothing but watching the planes come in to the left of you. The area where the bus stop is we found nice too. :)

Huge walkway beside the road/airport:

PA080454%20copy-M.jpg

map-M.jpg

Aha....we were at a different bus stop! Good to know for my next visit :).

The bus driver actually showed us where the return bus stop was and it appears to be a shorter walk than the one on your map - but we did not have sidewalks :(. I could see the apt building where our bus stop was.

Aha....we were at a different bus stop! Good to know for my next visit :).

The bus driver actually showed us where the return bus stop was and it appears to be a shorter walk than the one on your map - but we did not have sidewalks :(. I could see the apt building where our bus stop was.

It was announced there would be round trip shuttle service from St. George's to Clearwater this year for $12. However none has reported using it or about it's dependability.

f1e40832bc0bf3da5f6ea7f1e8e6852a.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

The only reason to go there now is to look at all the glass since there are not a lot of places that have the amount that you will see. There is a back way to go which avoids walking on the narrow, main road. As far as the trash, it's probably dependent on the tides and what is brought in from elsewhere. Not doubting what you saw but anytime I was there I didn't see any trash.

It was announced there would be round trip shuttle service from St. George's to Clearwater this year for $12. However none has reported using it or about it's dependability.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

:eek: Wow, prices have doubled since last year! That is going to get expensive. I mean that would cost the 3 of us $36 instead of the $18 last year. That's crazy.

So, according to this picture, I guess we can figure out where their HOHO buses used last year for St George is going...to be used here instead since they did away with the St George buses. :(

• 2 weeks later...

We used the minibuses service last week. We took the 9:30 ferry and then tried for the 6 bus to take us to Clearwater. We waited for over an hour through 2 or 3 of the scheduled busses and did not see a bus. When a local said " the schedule says a lot of things" we gave up on the 6 and went to fund the minibuses ( at the town hall) they leave every hour at 45 after. 12 total round trip and worth it. Drops you off at Gombeys. Picks up on the hour at the same place. Just make sure you don't have a wet suit on. The driver really made a point of that. It is an easy walk to the reserve where you are likely to find a cove all to yourself. Well worth the 12 IMO.