Anyone here about Little French key being raided (MERGED THREADS)

Cruisecrazy~

Someone showed up and took all the animals from Little French Key. They just raided the place. This is so sad. Most of these animals were rescue. The owners are asking people to write to the Rotan president. You can read more about it on the Little French Key Facebook page. Boycot Rotan until the government does something about the crime!

What is going on with the military and Gov raiding Little French Key and seizing all their animals? We were going there during our Nov cruise but concerned now........

Edited by Birm

Wow, first I've heard of this. OK, Google...

OK, Google has nothing except your original post here. Nothing on LFK FB page and nothing on their website. What did you hear and where did you hear/see it?

Edited by Hawaiifrank

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bring-back-the-animals-to-Little-French-Key/444982335689672?fref=ts&ref=br_tf

I'm assuming my link won't work, but if you search FB for Little French Key, their other page Bring Back The Animals To Little French Key will come up, and there's a petition you can sign.........I booked LFK at the end of the month, this is really sad!

Just found this: appears that the Honduras Government took the animals and one could assume by the article that there was either complaints of abuse or some underlying conflict between the government and the owner.

http://thenewroatan.com/clarification-post-about-the-removal-of-animals-in-little-french-key/

Wow, first I've heard of this. OK, Google...

OK, Google has nothing except your original post here. Nothing on LFK FB page and nothing on their website. What did you hear and where did you hear/see it?

Go to their page and click the "Post to this page" and several people have posted about the seizure there.......weird.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is politics. The post above sums up my thoughts.

I never went to LFK but Roatan itself was amazing and my favorite port stop on three cruises I have taken. It is a beautiful island with friendly people and the most gorgeous beaches.

I don't want to go to Roatan.

I remember when they stopped going due to civil unrest.

Then it's simple: don't go. I, for one, have a cruise booked for next year that goes to Roatan. We will actually be there on my 40th birthday, and I have LFK booked for that day. Now, if LFK ends up closing over this (although I sincerely doubt they will) I will obviously need to plan another excursion, but I still want very much want to go to Roatan. I'm not going to let some clash between the government and its residents sway me. Heck, if that were the case I would have to move out of the US because I can't think of any other country whose politicians are more despised by their citizens than the US!

The seizure appears to be coming from the mainland Central Government. I'm going to assume though that someone with political connections couldn't get the Roatan administration to act and went over their heads. Most likely there's $$$$ involved. Speculation is that it surrounds the conflict between LFK and BFK, but no real facts have emerged. DW and SIL were there in the spring and said the animals didn't look that well cared for, but if these are rescue animals they just might not be in great shape to begin with. And that perception could be the impetus behind the "raid". If these animals suddenly start to show up at BFK, you'll have a better reason to suspect the local joint venture partners with the cruise lines are behind the ruckus.

But the animals aren't the primary reason for going to LFK, without the cruise excursions it'll be much quieter than the West Bay beaches and better than Mahogany Bay. Prices are reasonable so don't hesitate to book.

The unofficial word is that Maya Key and Anthony's Key resorts ( both cruise ship sponsored excursions) took possession of the animals to try to drive business away from LFK :(:(

The long time owners of Anthony's Resort (and more recently Maya Key) are indeed animal lovers(AKR is famous for it's dolphin excursions) and have a strong presence on Roatan's tourism industry. Whether they are behind this or not, remains to be seen. Must have had a bad meal one night at Frenchy's 44 (:D:rolleyes:).

I was planning on booking LFK for my cruise in October. I had only heard good things about it, so figured it would be a good place for our group to go. Came over here to read up about it further, packages, etc. Then saw the threads about the raid, so was a bit hesitant.

Like I usually do, also decided to check out TA to read reviews there also. Yes, there are a lot of 5 star reviews - great. However, not everything is sunshine and rainbows, so checked out the lower reviews also. That's where things take a turn for the worse. I see that LFK made sure to post replies to these not so stellar reviews. I was really surprised by some of their snarky responses. Usually when a reviewer has a complaint, the business tries to make things better in their response. Not LFK. Seems like if you rated them average or below you got some sort of sarcastic response from them, or they put the blame of the complaints on the visitor. To me, that is really poor customer service, not to mention they post their attitude on the web for all to see.

We'll definitely be looking elsewhere for fun in Roatan.

I was planning on booking LFK for my cruise in October. I had only heard good things about it, so figured it would be a good place for our group to go. Came over here to read up about it further, packages, etc. Then saw the threads about the raid, so was a bit hesitant.

Like I usually do, also decided to check out TA to read reviews there also. Yes, there are a lot of 5 star reviews - great. However, not everything is sunshine and rainbows, so checked out the lower reviews also. That's where things take a turn for the worse. I see that LFK made sure to post replies to these not so stellar reviews. I was really surprised by some of their snarky responses. Usually when a reviewer has a complaint, the business tries to make things better in their response. Not LFK. Seems like if you rated them average or below you got some sort of sarcastic response from them, or they put the blame of the complaints on the visitor. To me, that is really poor customer service, not to mention they post their attitude on the web for all to see.

We'll definitely be looking elsewhere for fun in Roatan.

I took a look at trip advisor and did pull all the worst reviews. While I agree the LFK responses to criticism tend to have a little bit of snarl and more bite to them then they probably should, I think anyone that deals with consumers realizes it is impossible to have everyone love you. For the 11 terrible responses they've gotten, they have over a thousand excellent. I like my odds and plan on going in March and see for myself. I could be one of the 11, but I like my odds of being one of the 1000+ much better.

We are booked for LFK in 3 weeks. DW is bummed that our daughter won't get to see the animals, but until solid proof of wrongdoing is presented we won't be canceling our trip. I have heard good things about LFK from people I know and trust and will support them until they are proven guilty.