bringing on a bottle of "wine"

msweezie

Has anyone ever brought on their allowable bottle of wine. Just wondering how closely the seal is inspected. Has anyone replaced the wine with alcohol and gotten away with it? Or caught? I have those sleeve and cap things that you stick under boiling water and it looks professionaly sealed. Just not sure about the screw part that separated. How closely do they look at the wine bottle? Can anyone tell me?

Just curious what the screw part is? Do you mean the cork? I'd imagine to pull it off, you would have to recork it properly and then get a cap on it. Not sure how to do all that. I'd suggest Rum Runners as a better solution. The other Issue I could see is color, but if you did it right, I'd imagine it could work. I just think smugglers should stop thinking about wine, so they don't take that perk away too. :)

Has anyone ever brought on their allowable bottle of wine. Just wondering how closely the seal is inspected. Has anyone replaced the wine with alcohol and gotten away with it? Or caught? I have those sleeve and cap things that you stick under boiling water and it looks professionaly sealed. Just not sure about the screw part that separated. How closely do they look at the wine bottle? Can anyone tell me?

In my experience, it would sail right through. I've never even had to take my wine bottles out of my carry on luggage. I assume in my cases they have seen the shape on the scanner and let it through.

Edited by Cruise, J.D.

well i tried one last night, it's not a corked bottle. It is a screw top, and you know how that top separates from the little ring of metal, and leaves that on. So I sort of kept that ring on there, kept it tight with the screw cap, and then used one of those sleeves with a cap attached. I might have said, my friend bottles her on liquer, and has these. You then dunk it in boiling water and it shrink wraps it, so to speak. Looks good, except for if they were looking to find something wrong, they could look very closely at the screw "connection" there with the piece of metal left behind. But it sounds like they don't really just pick them up and thoroughly inspect them too closely? So afraid of being caught! I would totally do the alcohol program, but my two roommates aren't big drinkers:mad: Oh, I put some red food coloring in it, so it does look like a pink moscato, as labeled. LOL. Anyone else tried this, failed? Succeeded? Leaving Sunday!!

well i tried one last night, it's not a corked bottle. It is a screw top, and you know how that top separates from the little ring of metal, and leaves that on. So I sort of kept that ring on there, kept it tight with the screw cap, and then used one of those sleeves with a cap attached. I might have said, my friend bottles her on liquer, and has these. You then dunk it in boiling water and it shrink wraps it, so to speak. Looks good, except for if they were looking to find something wrong, they could look very closely at the screw "connection" there with the piece of metal left behind. But it sounds like they don't really just pick them up and thoroughly inspect them too closely? So afraid of being caught! I would totally do the alcohol program, but my two roommates aren't big drinkers:mad: Oh, I put some red food coloring in it, so it does look like a pink moscato, as labeled. LOL. Anyone else tried this, failed? Succeeded? Leaving Sunday!!

I'd be stunned if it was confiscated. You should be fine. Have fun!

Why not just buy a bottle with a cork? Then you replace the cork and then put the shrink wrap on. You can buy a corker and corks for under $10.[/quote

Cause for one thing, I don't have a cork opener, LOL. And I wasn't sure how tight it would hold, as I am traveling by plane to Miami, and it will be in my luggage. Hmmm, I did by mistake buy a bottle of wine with a cork the first time. I still do have it. Would it be safe to travel in my suitcase recorked, if I could borrow a cork opener and reseal it? I have one more sleeve, and I was going to go buy another bottle of the wine with the screw top.

Edited by msweezie

Why not just buy a bottle with a cork? Then you replace the cork and then put the shrink wrap on. You can buy a corker and corks for under $10.[/quote

Cause for one thing, I don't have a cork opener, LOL. And I wasn't sure how tight it would hold, as I am traveling by plane to Miami, and it will be in my luggage. Hmmm, I did by mistake buy a bottle of wine with a cork the first time. I still do have it. Would it be safe to travel in my suitcase recorked, if I could borrow a cork opener and reseal it? I have one more sleeve, and I was going to go buy another bottle of the wine with the screw top.

sorry, just read that more closely. Where would I buy corks? So you mean, pull the cork out of the bottle and put in a new one? But would it be tight enough to travel? Actually thinking i might be best to match the bottle I just did, same wine, same sleeve and see if I can convince my sister to carry it on for me, LOL! :p

As long as they are wine bottles and the correct size, you should not have a problem. They don't have time to inspect every bottle to see if they're closed properly. If they do, just admit that you unscrewed the bottle and took a little "nip" to make sure you liked it before taking it on the ship. :eek::D

I can't speak for sneaking alcohol in wine bottles, but in Miami, they took my wine out of my carry on and inspected it. It was really wine, but they really did examine it thoroughly. The next cruise a couple of months later, they didn't even take it out of the carry on. I guess it just depends on the person working.

What is it about all the "how the rules don't apply to me" posts on Carnival? For heavens sake, just order a bottle on board for twenty bucks. I personally think they should deny boarding for those who are caught doing this. Just sad.

• Like 3

I can't speak for sneaking alcohol in wine bottles, but in Miami, they took my wine out of my carry on and inspected it. It was really wine, but they really did examine it thoroughly. The next cruise a couple of months later, they didn't even take it out of the carry on. I guess it just depends on the person working.

Sometimes you are in the right place at the right time; sometimes you are in the wrong place at the wrong time. :o:rolleyes:

We were on the Conquest 01/24 sailing out of FLL. Party of 16, 6 bottles of wine, 12 cases of soda, 1 pack of grapefruit juice, case of water and 12 cranberry bottles. Not ONE of these was ever checked by anyone. All was either in a carry on shoulder bag, in hand and also in a small roller suitcase. All was scanned but no one inspected it. I was shocked because in the past all soda cases were opened and each can inspected also the water bottles. We

did not witness any inspections what so ever . Weird

On my last cruise out of Tampa, my husband and I both had a bottle of wine in our backpacks; as we put it through the scanner, we simply told the security people that there was a bottle in each bag before it went through. They didn't open the bags at all. They did however inspect our 12 packs of sodas. I think they examined the glue on the cardboard boxes to make sure it wasn't opened before. I really was surprised they didn't ask to look at the bottles, but maybe it was because we were up front and truthful about it.

Oh, and the sodas were for the bottle of Bacardi Oakheart that we had delivered to our room. We played by the rules and didn't have any issues. Yes the bottle that we ordered was probably 4x the price at a normal liquor store, but for the amount of mixed drinks we got out of it, it was still a good deal.:)

I have a beer making supply store very close to my home. They also stock wine making and bottling supplies. I bought corks for 10 cents, shrinkwraps for 7 cents, and a bottle corker for $8. The room steward was most helpful in allowing us to borrow his cork screw. My wine of choice is a lovely reisling in a beautiful blue bottle. Good to go. On out last cruise, the Celebrity Reflection, we carried on one real bottle of wine. It was confiscated and held because it was larger than 750ml. I figured it was the size of 2 legal bottles so it would be fine. Wrong. It was, however, just as good when we got home. :D