Sea route from Copenhagen to Warnemunde

This question was asked on our roll call :

Is there any way to find out if our ship, departing from Copenhagen, will go south by the tunnel/Oresundbridge to Warnemunde, or go north and around and under the Great Belt East Bridge (3rd longest suspension bridge in the world) to Warnemunde?

This question was asked on our roll call :

Is there any way to find out if our ship, departing from Copenhagen, will go south by the tunnel/Oresundbridge to Warnemunde, or go north and around and under the Great Belt East Bridge (3rd longest suspension bridge in the world) to Warnemunde?

Hi, Freighters of all sizes use both routes so size and draft are not a great guide although height could be a consideration. In the case of cruise ships tides may play a part as they like to depart in the evening and arrive at the next port in the morning.

Many cruise ships go out one way and back the other, usually south if the first port of call is in the Northern Baltic (Tallin etc.)

Given the time allowed by some cruise ships, ie departing Copenhagen around 17:00 arriving Warnemünde 7:30 the next morning, they would either have to go backwards or round in circles if they took the southern route to that port! A ship travelling at 12k (very slow for a cruise ship) would take only around 8 hours at most to complete the journey.

So, as a guide, if your ship departs Copenhagen in the early evening and arrives Warnemünde after 7:00 it is probably taking the Northern route and vice versa.

If you look at the little map which goes with the description of the cruise on the company's web site it will usually tell you.

Please don't sue me if your ship does not go the way you expect! Just enjoy the surprise.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

Edited by Travelanni

Thanks for taking the time to reply! Much appreciated.

Linda

And I thank YOU for having the courtesy and taking the time to acknowledge my reply and for your appreciation. It makes it all worthwhile.

Happy cruising, :)

Anni

So, as a guide, if your ship departs Copenhagen in the early evening and arrives Warnemünde after 7:00 it is probably taking the Northern route and vice versa.

:o Oops, could be wrong :o

Hi Linda, in the case of Legend on 18th June this does not seem to apply. On the map of the route which I found on the web site of a travel agent (not allowed to give you the address here) the indication is that she will take the southern route. In that case you will be doing a bit of drifting during the night!

However I would be more inclined to trust information direct from RCI as other map could be just the most obvious route.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

Edited by Travelanni

That will be something to experience.... I've seen a pic of a ship clearing it by just under 2"!!

I was actually surprised how few gathered for the event. I think it was around midnight and the captain did give an approximate time during the welcome aboard loud speaker announcement at sail-away and explained the routing. I do not recall the details

Yes, the Observatory forward and up the steps from deck 10 is the place to be to get the full sensation.

Most of the bigger cruise ships either has to deep a draft to pass the Drogden strait (the one closest to the Danish side) or to high to pass under the Øresund bridge.

The Drogden strait is 10 metres deep but only ships with a draft under 8 metres is allowed to pass and the Øresund Bridge has a 57 meter clearence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%98resund_Bridge

Edited by Danish viking

While I imagine that Legend will still take the same route as other RCI ships, she does have a draft of 7.6 meters and would be 'allowed' to take the other route. (Vision has 7.9 though and we went around)