Shark/Ray Alley Tour Vs. Shark Alley by Air?

altarrose

I am really confused looking at tours for Belize!

I came across the Shark alley/Caye Caulker which sounds great but now I am seeing the Shark alley by air (San Pedro) expedition

I am a little reluctant to incorporate a flight into a single port day but it looks pretty easy at 15 minutes. Has anyone done these and have any comparison?

I would really appreciate any info :)

We just did the Shark Ray Alley by Air tour with Ecotours Belize. We made reservations on their website and had a confirmation the next day.

Our meeting time was 8:30am, and we were on the tender by 7:45, ashore by 8:10 or so. Their desk is easy to spot and we were signed in and waiting for our group in less than five minutes. Our group included several people from our Princess ship, several from NCL, and a couple who just wanted to go to San Pedro (no snorkeling). They took us by air conditioned van to the airport where there was an air conditioned waiting room. They were all wearing matching shirts and were easy to find. The plane came in and at 9:30 we loaded up and went. The flight was 20 minutes, very small plane but safe and interesting with a bit of narration, but not too much.

Our captain met us at SP and walked us to their shop (about five minutes away). We signed releases and got gear. Got in the boat and went about 20 minutes to Shark Ray Alley. Then back in the boat, they gave us water, and we went to a spot where we saw a loggerhead turtle, plus more rays and sharks and fish. Got in the boat again, had more water, and went to the reef at Hol Chan. More rays and fish, and some beautiful coral, and a green turtle. Some saw a moray eel. We had to stick with the guide at Hol Chan.

Then another 20 minute ride back to shore. We were able to catch the 2:00 flight instead of the 3:00 and were back on board eating lunch at 3:15. Some in our group stayed on the later flight and had lunch and some shopping in SP. When we landed in Belize City they were waiting with a van to take us back to the port.

We just did the Shark Ray Alley by Air tour with Ecotours Belize. We made reservations on their website and had a confirmation the next day.

Our meeting time was 8:30am, and we were on the tender by 7:45, ashore by 8:10 or so. Their desk is easy to spot and we were signed in and waiting for our group in less than five minutes. Our group included several people from our Princess ship, several from NCL, and a couple who just wanted to go to San Pedro (no snorkeling). They took us by air conditioned van to the airport where there was an air conditioned waiting room. They were all wearing matching shirts and were easy to find. The plane came in and at 9:30 we loaded up and went. The flight was 20 minutes, very small plane but safe and interesting with a bit of narration, but not too much.

Our captain met us at SP and walked us to their shop (about five minutes away). We signed releases and got gear. Got in the boat and went about 20 minutes to Shark Ray Alley. Then back in the boat, they gave us water, and we went to a spot where we saw a loggerhead turtle, plus more rays and sharks and fish. Got in the boat again, had more water, and went to the reef at Hol Chan. More rays and fish, and some beautiful coral, and a green turtle. Some saw a moray eel. We had to stick with the guide at Hol Chan.

Then another 20 minute ride back to shore. We were able to catch the 2:00 flight instead of the 3:00 and were back on board eating lunch at 3:15. Some in our group stayed on the later flight and had lunch and some shopping in SP. When we landed in Belize City they were waiting with a van to take us back to the port.

Thank you so much for the detailed post. It was wonderful of you to respond, and those were the details I was looking for.

How did you like the overall experience? Did you feel it was worth your time in port?

Thanks again!

I think I have to talk about what we were looking for in order for you to understand why we enjoyed it and felt it was a good experience.

- We are experienced snorkelers and chose this itinerary specifically to snorkel the Mesoamerican Barrier Reef System (MBRS). That eliminated all the ships excursions by catamaran because they don't go that far.

- We also don't like to be with lots of beginners, because they make noise and splash and scare all the fish away.

- We also didn't want to be with a big group because it takes more time to organize everyone and thus you get less time in the water.

- We weren't too thrilled with the idea of being on the ferry to Caye Caulker for at least 1 1/2 hours of our day. Flying seemed like the quickest way to get where we wanted to go.

- We weren't interested in a beach visit because we had two of those already booked in the other ports. We just wanted snorkeling.

So, with all that in mind, we loved our snorkeling day. We saw tons of rays and a few sharks, some cool turtles, and lots of other fish. At each snorkeling stop I felt like we got to spend enough time to see what there was to see, and magically when we were ready to get back on the boat it was just the right time to do so. Our boat had maybe 15 people on it, so not too big a group (it was just a metal boat with a large bimini top, a bit of a wet ride). I didn't feel crowded in the water, never got kicked or hit, and the few of us who were taking pictures managed to be polite and stay out of each others way. The guys were very helpful, even pulling one woman on a swim ring because she said she wasn't a good swimmer.

There were many "parts" to the day, but none of them seemed excessively long, and then we were on to the next "part." Overall, this is really a snorkelers excursion and that's what you should be interested in. No lounging on deck with a rum punch with music playing, or anything like that. I don't know that we actually "saved" any time by flying, since there is time built in for getting to the airport and waiting for departure, but as I said I didn't think we would enjoy the 45 minute ferry ride to Caye Caulker.

IMG_1658.jpg.422d77a00efe0bfb51dd39a8f158591b.jpg

IMG_1697.jpg.036cb3323f345fd068b31ab97f82b441.jpg

According to SEE Excursions, the boat ride can be rough depending on weather..we were offered to switch from the boat snorkel tour to the one by air. If all fails, we get a refund or switch last minute to their Belize Cave Tubing Excursion in the Mayan Rainforest (S1196). I am sure one of them will work out!!

We just did the shark ray alley with Caye Caulker in November and it was a nice experience. Although we did it with the cruise line, so not the experience that some may have by booking with a private vendor. I wanted to do the plane ride over but couldn't get anyone in our party to do it. :( Next time we do this, we will definitely do it with a private vendor. :D

I have a complete review in my signature line if you are interesting in reading it. There's tons of pictures. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
Reviving an old thread.

I'd imagine the trip by air takes you to a different reef area than the one by boat. Am I correct?

Yes, I believe it takes you to Hol Chan Marine Park area, which from my readings when I was researching this is the reef where everyone wants to go for awesome snorkeling.

Yes but the problem is getting ashore early enough to get there and have time to enjoy Ambergris Key. Flights leave the municipal airport every hour but I tried to make a tour in November and they had gone by the time I got there. We didn't anchor until 9:30 and it was 10:30 before I stepped off the tender. By then the tour I had booked was gone.

• 3 weeks later...

It is a looong tender ride into Belize City so you definitely have to take that into consideration when planning.

Lifesabeach I'm sorry you missed your tour. I always want to cry when that happens because I put so much planning into our cruises.

• 2 weeks later...

mitsugirly... First, thank you for your wonderful reviews! Second, I know you did your Shark Ray excursion through the cruise line last time...do you have a suggestion on who to possibly use as a private vendor for that excursion? Would love your opinion!

mitsugirly... First, thank you for your wonderful reviews! Second, I know you did your Shark Ray excursion through the cruise line last time...do you have a suggestion on who to possibly use as a private vendor for that excursion? Would love your opinion!

While I can't make a suggestion due to experience, I can tell you that when I was researching it, my decision was going to be to go with Caveman. There have always been excellent reviews with him and we did see him when we were there. He had a small group and they were getting a lot of one-on-one. If I was to do this again, I would be booking with him. So, I would suggest maybe researching him to start with. :)

I've been emailing with Caveman about taking his tour in June. I understand Belize doesn't change for DST, but assume the boat will be on Central DST leaving from Galveston. I've read about folks getting off the ship only to find they are one or even two hours earlier than the local time. How can I make sure I book the correct return flight from the caye based on whatever will be the departure according to ship time?