The Seas on a Transatlantic?

Kellyann

This is my lucky 13th cruise but first time doing a transatlantic. Generally, how are the waves in the middle of the Atlantic during the second week of October. I'm taking a two week out of Barcelona ending up in Fort Lauderdale. I can't help but think I'll be bobbing around this huge ocean in the middle of hurricane season. Is this the path of most hurricanes? If there is no hurricane, then what are the waves like. Also, what kind of temps can I expect at this time of year in the Atlantic.

This is my lucky 13th cruise but first time doing a transatlantic. Generally, how are the waves in the middle of the Atlantic during the second week of October. I'm taking a two week out of Barcelona ending up in Fort Lauderdale. I can't help but think I'll be bobbing around this huge ocean in the middle of hurricane season. Is this the path of most hurricanes? If there is no hurricane, then what are the waves like. Also, what kind of temps can I expect at this time of year in the Atlantic.

Honestly, there's no way of knowing what the seas are going to be like on your cruise. We did a TransAtlantic late Sept/early Oct. The seas were like glass. We could have been on a lake. I realize that's not typical, but it does happen. Hurricane "season" is June-November. The captain will do all he can to avoid rough seas.

We've done this run and while I can't guarantee what the weather will be like for you, we had no problems. We had worse weather/sea conditions in the Med than out in the Atlantic. Somedays, it was so calm you had to look over the side to see the swells to convince yourself that the ship was actually moving.

Temperature wise, it was high teens/low twenties (Celsius, sorry I don't know what that translates to in Fahrenheit).

Happy cruising!

We've done several T/A's from the Med to Florida in the Fall. In mid-October the sea water temps will be in the low 70's as you pass Gibraltar - rising to,close to 80 as you near Florida. We've had glassy calm and a few days with 25+ foot seas - those conditions are unpredictable. Hurricanes are actually unlikely in any two week period, but if one is churning across (they usually only build up strength as they near the Catibbean or North Americe) they are predictable enough for the ship to change course to evade. Last Fall we crossed on Prinsendam from Rome - because of storm driven heavy seas we cancelled port calls in the Azores and stopped at Madeira instead.

The unpredictability is simply part of cruising. You will probably get hooked on T/A's -- usually much less expensive per day, and the sea days are great. If you still have the option and are booking a balcony, go for the port side: Sunny every day - which makes a great difference.